Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what is the def of ice out for lake eek?

"Ice-Out" on Lake Winnipesaukee is the moment when the ice that has covered the Lake since late December or early January melts enough that the M/S Mount Washington cruise ship could navigate between Alton Bay, Center Harbor, Weirs Beach, Meredith and Wolfeboro.  

Earliest ice out is March 24.  Last year's ice out was April 24th which is close to average.  Latest ice out is May 12th

"Ice-Out" on Lake Winnipesaukee is the moment when the ice that has covered the Lake since late December or early January melts enough that the M/S Mount Washington cruise ship could navigate between Alton Bay, Center Harbor, Weirs Beach, Meredith and Wolfeboro.  

Earliest ice out is March 24.  Last year's ice out was April 24th which is close to average.  Latest ice out is May 12th

Did Winni ever freeze over sufficiently this "winter" that the ship was unable to make the journey?  Can't have an ice-out date without an ice-in.

Beautiful shots man, grew up diving and learning to swim in the Westerly RI Granite quarries. We had one called Paradise that had a 55 foot cliff with a tree swing another 15 above that. So much fun until they made swimming there illegal. This is an original Post Card from 1909 when it was active. I grew up in what was named Smith Plat on the back side of these quarries. There were 4 intertwined with one separated. Cool shots man thanks

post-322-0-23789700-1457132526_thumb.png

Sweet shots eyewall. One of our snowmobile trails skirts along the backside of that quarry. Like Ginxy, I grew up swimming in them. Not that one but one just behind it. There are quite a few old quarries dotting the landscape in the area. There is a 300 acre town forest with an extensive mt bike trail system and disc golf course that has several old quarries in it.

Thank you guys it was awesome and yeah I saw the signs for snowmobile trails there. Obviously they are not really in use this year. I will have to check out some of the others in the area.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I probably should have went skiing today, but I hiked into the Notch with calm winds and blue skies to do a high altitude drone flight. I couldn't the last time because the wind was too strong. It was great this morning. 

I probably should have went skiing today, but I hiked into the Notch with calm winds and blue skies to do a high altitude drone flight. I couldn't the last time because the wind was too strong. It was great this morning. 

Yeah, I'm learning to  be careful of wind.  When it's calm at ground level at can be very different several hundred feet up.  Your shots are amazing and making me want to buy the new Phantom 4.  Getting tired of my lousy 1200-1500 foot range!

An absolutely stunning morning on the slopes... got busy and as usual for this season the surface was excellent for the first few hours and started getting slick midday. 

But man this weather...it doesn't matter what conditions are.  It just plain nice to be outside this afternoon.

An absolutely stunning morning on the slopes... got busy and as usual for this season the surface was excellent for the first few hours and started getting slick midday.

But man this weather...it doesn't matter what conditions are. It just plain nice to be outside this afternoon.

That is for sure the hike felt great

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

But man this weather...it doesn't matter what conditions are.  It just plain nice to be outside this afternoon.

The rising sun angle really makes a difference in the brightness of the day.  We change the clocks next weekend.  Drawback is models come out later but in this season, who cares!

Great ice conditions on the large lakes in C/NNE. Ice sailing (is that what's it called) races today on Newfound Lake.

Vermont State Police found the body of a snowmobiler in a lake in Groton, VT near Saint Johnsbury. That's a fairly cold location too...guess the guy got part way across and just fell in. State Police said there were snowmobile tracks that ended in a hole in the ice.

Be careful out there, especially this year. Very unpredictable ice. That sailboat contraption looks fairly safe though...even if a hole opened up.

From BTV's Facebook page...

Today's snow and ice cover on the lake and surrounding areas...you can see there's no snow in the Champlain Valley and even the western slopes.  Snow cover starts right at the Spine and eastward in this region. 

12799285_1023639727707928_57782239624051

Last year same date...

12801291_1023639761041258_80414117733069

Great ice conditions on the large lakes in C/NNE.   Ice sailing (is that what's it called)  races today on Newfound Lake. 

Skater's paradise on Flying Pond in Vienna - usually, pond skating in Maine lasts about 2 days at ice-up, unless maintained by snow-clearing.  Slippery for my boots (ice anglers tend not to be skaters), but nothing like two weeks ago when the ice was mainly puddle-covered and sudden-death slippery.  Unlimited sun, moderately stiff breeze (took another party's lawn chair for a sail down the lake) and decent action.

Archived