• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

Past few runs have not really looked great down here for the midweek system, 12Z Euro trended a little worse.  Maybe a sloppy inch or two here.

Its pretty remarkable for ALB at this point.  Euro has nothing over the next 7 days for them.  Then we torch the following week. They are going to need a late March/Early April miracle to just get into double figures. Obviously something can still pop up, but all time futility is within reach. I think they are around 8" and futility is 13.8".

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow squalls this evening?

247 PM EST MON FEB 29 2016

...SNOW SQUALLS EXPECTED THIS EVENING...

SNOW SQUALLS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP TONIGHT AS A STRONG COLD
FRONT MOVES ACROSS THE NORTH COUNTRY. WHILE ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE
LIMITED TO AN INCH OR SO...SNOW SQUALLS WILL BRING A 30 MINUTE
PERIOD OF VISIBILITIES AS LOW AS ONE-HALF MILE PRODUCING WHITEOUT
CONDITIONS. THE SUDDEN CHANGE IN VISIBILITY THAT SNOW SQUALLS
PRODUCE COULD LEAD TO TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES.

EXPECT SNOW SQUALLS TO DEVELOP IN THE ST. LAWRENCE VALLEY BETWEEN
7 TO 9 PM...THE ADIRONDACKS BETWEEN 8 AND 10 PM...AND IN THE
NORTHERN CHAMPLAIN VALLEY OF VERMONT AND NEW YORK BETWEEN 9 PM
AND 11 PM.

AS TEMPERATURES FALL INTO THE TEENS OVERNIGHT...ANY ACCUMULATED
SNOW ON ROADS WILL FREEZE AND LEAD TO SLIPPERY TRAVEL ON UNTREATED
ROADS AFTER SNOW HAS ENDED.

Current projected accumulations map and advisory text:

29FEB16B.jpg

WWUS41 KBTV 292008

WSWBTV

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

308 PM EST MON FEB 29 2016

NYZ035-VTZ001>012-016>019-010900-

/O.NEW.KBTV.WW.Y.0008.160302T0600Z-160303T0600Z/

EASTERN ESSEX-GRAND ISLE-WESTERN FRANKLIN-ORLEANS-ESSEX-

WESTERN CHITTENDEN-LAMOILLE-CALEDONIA-WASHINGTON-WESTERN ADDISON-

ORANGE-WESTERN RUTLAND-WINDSOR-EASTERN FRANKLIN-

EASTERN CHITTENDEN-EASTERN ADDISON-EASTERN RUTLAND-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PORT HENRY...TICONDEROGA...ALBURGH...

SOUTH HERO...ST. ALBANS...NEWPORT...ISLAND POND...BURLINGTON...

JOHNSON...STOWE...ST. JOHNSBURY...MONTPELIER...MIDDLEBURY...

VERGENNES...BRADFORD...RANDOLPH...RUTLAND...SPRINGFIELD...

WHITE RIVER JUNCTION...ENOSBURG FALLS...RICHFORD...UNDERHILL...

BRISTOL...RIPTON...EAST WALLINGFORD...KILLINGTON

308 PM EST MON FEB 29 2016

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM WEDNESDAY TO 1 AM

EST THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR WINTRY MIXED PRECIPITATION...WHICH IS IN

EFFECT FROM 1 AM WEDNESDAY TO 1 AM EST THURSDAY.

* LOCATIONS...ALL OF NORTHERN...CENTRAL AND SOUTH CENTRAL

VERMONT...AND THE SOUTHERN CHAMPLAIN VALLEY OF NEW YORK.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 6 INCHES OF HEAVY

DENSE SNOW...ALONG WITH SLEET AND UP TO A TENTH OF AN INCH OF

ICE.

* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATE...UP TO 1 INCH PER HOUR...MAINLY EARLY

WEDNESDAY MORNING.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL SPREAD ACROSS THE REGION TUESDAY EVENING AND

TRANSITION TO A WINTRY MIX OF SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN

EARLY WEDNESDAY. SOME AREAS MAY ALSO SEE RAIN MIX IN BEFORE

TRANSITIONING BACK TO SNOW DURING THE DAY WEDNESDAY. SNOW

SHOWERS WILL TAPER OFF WEDNESDAY EVENING.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS WILL RESULT FROM ICY AND

SLIPPERY ROAD SURFACES DUE TO MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL AND

WINTRY MIXED PRECIPITATION.

* WINDS...WEST 5 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...LOWS 1 BELOW TO 25 ABOVE ZERO. HIGHS IN THE MID

30S.

* VISIBILITIES...DOWN TO LESS THAN ONE MILE AT TIMES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR

FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR

SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE

DRIVING.

PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR

GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS

WEATHER SITUATION.

&&

oh the agony!  I'm thinking this trends better.  no science behind that.

Hope it does.   Just compared the 12Z to 18Z GFS and it seems the low is about 25 miles further NW on the new run.  It will be interesting for me with a track right over Dendriteland.  Definitely a switch to freezing rain but could the CAD stay in long enough to keep me just below freezing?  Once the low passes a flash freeze so perhaps a wintry appeal will return and stick around for while with the cold air mass coming in.

Hope it does.   Just compared the 12Z to 18Z GFS and it seems the low is about 25 miles further NW on the new run.  It will be interesting for me with a track right over Dendriteland.  Definitely a switch to freezing rain but could the CAD stay in long enough to keep me just below freezing?  Once the low passes a flash freeze so perhaps a wintry appeal will return and stick around for while with the cold air mass coming in.

Yeah that's definitely a worse run.  Much more rain and less snow up this way.  The low moved from tracking over S/VT to C/VT and that's enough to make a big difference in this event.  That would lead to a more 1-4" solution than a 4-8" solution from 12z.

The other coach I was working with yesterday at Stowe was asking when we were going to start taking the students to some of the other off piste/sidecountry spots that we haven’t hit yet this season, and I told him I was waiting for the Mt. Mansfield Stake to hit the 40” mark to give us that extra margin of coverage I’d like to see in some spots.  The stake is currently at 34”, and it’s possible this is the week the depth finally gets there.  It looks like there are 2 to 3 potential systems in the pipeline this week, and the forecast for the higher elevations of Mansfield over the next few days shows 5-10”+ of accumulation.  If that Tuesday/Wednesday system breaks a bit more favorable with respect to snow that could really help, but even as the forecast stands it looks like a net gain.

Should be pretty free to head for steeper terrain J by the weekend.  I stayed to mellow pitches, the combo of disbelief and not having been out yet at all allowed me to enjoy the old stand by pitches that I knew were largely reef free. I was surprised by the depths in the brook.

This has  a good winter for preserving my work time off,  thinking work might not be a good idea for me on wednesday:)

we'll see.

edit: to keep up with the boo hoo's, we are back to all grass here at the house after today's warm rain. 

…it should be fun to see what the BTV NWS forecast discussion has this afternoon after the meteorologists digest the latest model data.

Some of this afternoon’s thoughts from the BTV NWS; their current thinking is that the line of mixed precipitation will be slicing through the northern half of the state with 5-10” where the precipitation stays all snow to the north and west:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

642 PM EST MON FEB 29 2016

.SHORT TERM /TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT/...

AS OF 445 PM EST MONDAY...STRENGTHENING SURFACE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL BRING WINTER STORM TO THE AREA...STARTING AS SNOW IN THE ST LAWRENCE VALLEY TUESDAY EVENING. LOW WILL TRACK FROM OHIO RIVER VALLEY TO SOUTHEASTERN VT BY 12Z WEDNESDAY. THIS TRACK WILL KEEP COLDER NE FLOW OVER THE ST LAWRENCE VALLEY AND THEREFORE KEEP PRECIP AS ALL SNOW...ALSO ALONG THE INTERNATIONAL BORDER WILL MOST LIKELY REMAIN ALL SNOW THROUGHOUT THE EVENT.

AS FOR THE WARM NOSE...EXPECT MIXED PRECIP TO SPREAD FROM SOUTHERN CHAMPLAIN VALLEY NORTHEASTWARD INTO THE NORTHEAST KINGDOM.

STEADY SNOW WILL TAPER OFF TO SNOW SHOWERS FOR LATE WEDNESDAY WITH POSSIBLY A FEW LINGERING SHOWERS OVER THE HIGH TERRAIN WEDNESDAY NIGHT. STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL OF 5-10 INCHES EXPECTED ACROSS THE ST LAWRENCE VALLEY AND NORTHERN ZONES ACROSS VT. AREAS SOUTH AND EAST WILL HAVE LESSER AMOUNTS OF 2 TO 5 INCHES. BEST CHANCE FOR FZRA WILL BE IN SOUTH CENTRAL VT WITH ICE AMOUNTS UP TO A TENTH OF AN INCH POSSIBLE.

The winds are really blowing hard here rather suddenly. Frequent gusts in the 40-50 mph range. This is obviously associated with the FROPA. So far no substantial precip as of 10:30pm.

Light snow here. I totally didn't expect it. I guess I'm just too caught up in the anticipation for tomorrow's big event lol.

Light snow here. I totally didn't expect it. I guess I'm just too caught up in the anticipation for tomorrow's big event lol.

The peak gusts have settled a little now but yeah we will see what we can pull from that one. We are riding the line for sure.

Snow squalls moving through after tying a record high temperature for the day... record of 50F tied with 1896 in Burlington.

... Record high temperature for February 29th tied at Burlington
Vermont... 

The temperature at the Burlington International Airport in
Burlington Vermont early this morning has reached 50 degrees. This
ties the record high temperature for February 29th of 50 degrees
set in 1896.

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.23” L.E.

The most notable thing about the frontal passage last night was the wind, but we did pick up some snow accumulation as well.  Temperatures were marginal, so the snow was fairly slushy and dense on the board when I cored it last night.  I was quite surprised to find 0.23” of refrozen liquid in the rain gauge this morning, so it seemed to catch a good amount of material that fell despite the winds.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 6.7

Snow Density: 15.0% H2O

Temperature: 12.2 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 1.0 inches

I’ve added the latest advisory and accumulations maps from the BTV NWS below for the upcoming storm.  The Winter Storm Watches in Northern New York were converted to Winter Storm Warnings along the northern tier, and Winter Weather Advisories everywhere else.  Some places staying all snow are still forecast for 5-10”+, but those areas are farther northwest now based on the expected track of the storm.

01MAR16A.jpg

01MAR16B.jpg

Archived