• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

spring comes after winter. no winter, no spring. I was hoping for one last shot of winter. I chose to save a few bucks and not go out to BC last week. bad bad move. they got crushed. and I can't come up this weekend again. I'm really bummed today

Ahh yeah well I can see that. If weekends are your only option you don't want to miss too many as you don't know how long it'll last. I feel good about another 4-6 weeks.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had to drive to Newport this morning and for the most part the snow cover and temps were very similar from Stowe north up RT 100... patchy snow cover with fields mostly bare but 1-6" in the woods and protected spots. Temps hovering around 50F.

However, there was one probably 3-5 mile stretch on RT 100 where it was another world. Hyde Park and Eden area. Even in Hyde Park which is just north of Morrisville with no real elevation change had more like 4-8" of solid cover in the yards, like legit snowbanks too. Then moving into Eden it was a solid 8-12" on the ground passing Lake Eden but I think that's 1500ft or so. But that was like the deepest looking winter I've seen in a while outside the ski resort.

At that point my car "dinged" with the alarm that the temperature was now 37F or less! I hadn't noticed it but it went from 50F to 37F where the snow cover was deepest. Even my wife who doesn't care much about that stuff was like how is there this much snow on the ground 20-30 minutes north of us.

Then coming out of Eden into Lowell, we literally came around a bend and all the snow disappeared. Like poof gone. The temp shot back to 52F in the course of like 1-2 miles and literally snow went from big snowbanks and 12" on the ground to nothing but patches.

Amazing the micro-climates around.

Had to drive to Newport this morning and for the most part the snow cover and temps were very similar from Stowe north up RT 100... patchy snow cover with fields mostly bare but 1-6" in the woods and protected spots. Temps hovering around 50F.

However, there was one probably 3-5 mile stretch on RT 100 where it was another world. Hyde Park and Eden area. Even in Hyde Park which is just north of Morrisville with no real elevation change had more like 4-8" of solid cover in the yards, like legit snowbanks too. Then moving into Eden it was a solid 8-12" on the ground passing Lake Eden but I think that's 1500ft or so. But that was like the deepest looking winter I've seen in a while outside the ski resort.

At that point my car "dinged" with the alarm that the temperature was now 37F or less! I hadn't noticed it but it went from 50F to 37F where the snow cover was deepest. Even my wife who doesn't care much about that stuff was like how is there this much snow on the ground 20-30 minutes north of us.

Then coming out of Eden into Lowell, we literally came around a bend and all the snow disappeared. Like poof gone. The temp shot back to 52F in the course of like 1-2 miles and literally snow went from big snowbanks and 12" on the ground to nothing but patches.

wait, you have a car thermo that dings at you to alert you of of a temp change? you weenie ;)

Ahh yeah well I can see that. If weekends are your only option you don't want to miss too many as you don't know how long it'll last. I feel good about another 4-6 weeks.

actually, I have been prepared to come up midweek for a significant snowfall, but you know how that has gone.

fwiw-Win reported that they checked the snow depth on Steins yesterday and its in excess of 6 feet.

Anyone a bird expert?   We have bluebirds every year in the apple orchard.  Today they  (or at least one) arrived.  We have never seen bluebirds in March!!  (Well never in early March at least)  We almost always have snowcover into April.  Will these bluebirds even survive?  I assume the birds will but we have ready made birdhouses so they can start laying eggs early.  Hope the hatchlings can survive.

As far as bluebirds in March, they'll survive fine.  They sometimes visit in January and February in the coldest of years.

Thanks Apache.  I was worried about them.  Before I moved up here from Boston I had never seen one.  We put up 20 birdhouses around our orchards and each year there seems to be more and more bluebirds.  I guess since putting up the birdhouses they return year after year which is increasing our population.

wait, you have a car thermo that dings at you to alert you of of a temp change? you weenie ;)

Haha, I think a lot of cars do.  Usually somewhere between 35 and 40F... supposed to let you know that there *could* be ice on the road.  If it doesn't ding, pretty much every new car has some sort of symbol that lights up to indicate ice possible.  Like a snowflake next to the thermometer if the temp drops below 37F or something.

Plymouth NH old record  61F.  As of 150pm they were 71F.  Nothing like breaking records by 10F.

Im at an incredible 69F.  Sun has been in and out of clouds.  If I could get just a 30 minute clear slot I bet I could hit 70F 

MPV broke their record by at least 5F today... old record was 61F in 2000, but hourly reports were at 66F but may have gone higher between obs.

MVL with a high of 67F.

Great report PF, thanks for the update – love those microclimates.

As for snowpack at our site, it just went to zero at our measurement stake area as of today, which is just about three weeks ahead of average for that parameter and five days ahead of the earliest date I have in my records.  We’ll see how the rest of the snow in the yard behaves over the next week or two, but it’s pretty dense stuff, so it will probably be around a while even with warm temperatures.  Average melt out for the rest of the snow is mid-April, although I suspect we’ll be ahead of that this season even if things cool down later in the month.

Archived