• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

Below is the north to south list of reported snow totals from the Vermont ski areas for this latest storm; it looks like the hot zone was in the Stowe to Middlebury stretch with 3-5", and generally 0-1” south of there:

Jay Peak: 2”

Burke: 1”

Smuggler’s Notch: 2”

Stowe: 3”

Bolton Valley: 4”

Mad River Glen: 4”

Sugarbush: 5”

Middlebury: 4”

Suicide Six: 0”

Pico: 1”

Killington: 1”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 1”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 1”

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The next offering in the storm parade is expected to affect the area this afternoon:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

924 AM EST SAT JAN 30 2016

OUR NEXT WEATHER SYSTEM IS LOCATED OVER THE CENTRAL GREAT LAKES EARLY THIS MORNING AND WILL IMPACT OUR REGION BY LATE THIS AFTERNOON. THE COMBINATION OF MID LEVEL MOISTURE AND 5H ENERGY SHEARING OUT TO OUR NORTHWEST WILL INTERACT WITH A SURFACE WARM FRONT TO INCREASE THE CHANCES FOR LIGHT MAINLY SNOW SHOWERS THIS AFTERNOON/EVENING. THE BEST MOISTURE IS PROGGED FROM THE SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY TO THE NORTHERN GREENS WITH SOME SHADOWING LIKELY ON DEVELOPING BRISK SOUTHWEST WINDS IN THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY.

FPV is my fave for the last year or so.  With the crazy proliferation of high quality (4k, gimbal, etc) video quads getting awesome images everywhere, I feel less motivated to capture/share images, nobody cares that much anymore.  There's something nice about just enjoying an FPV flight and not even bothering to capture the video.  For me, it's a perfect replacement for video games.  I like gaming, but it is ridiculous to go directly from working on a PC all day directly to playing on a PC right after work.  Plus the real world makes the simulations seem really poor.

Mostly cloudy day.   Cooler than expected only made it to 31.9F.  Had a 30 second snow/graupel snower an hour ago.

N/CNE snowcover is going to take a beating this week.  I wonder if records are kept with overall coverage and depth?  Probably not.  If there were a bell shaped curve showing such things wonder where we would be on the scale?  

Mostly cloudy day.   Cooler than expected only made it to 31.9F.  Had a 30 second snow/graupel snower an hour ago.

N/CNE snowcover is going to take a beating this week.  I wonder if records are kept with overall coverage and depth?  Probably not.  If there were a bell shaped curve showing such things wonder where we would be on the scale?  

There must be stats on that, or at least satellite derived snow-water-equivalent data. 

Speaking of which, its going to be February and I have yet to do a snow core this season.  I'll do one next week for BTV, as the senior hydrologist emailed me saying pretty much that since there's no real spring flood threat at this point, they haven't even started doing the bi-weekly snow cores at most locations.  But just for historical record he suggested I do one at my 3,000ft location. 

These bi-weekly snow cores usually start in late December, but this year with no current spring flood threat due to snowmelt, there's no need to do it. 

This pretty much sums up the winter:

Mansfield Coop Data for the very minor snow event... 2.8" snowfall on 0.22" liquid and yet we still somehow lost 2" in snow depth back down to 23". 

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
453 PM EST FRI JAN 29 2016

Station            Precip   Temperature   Present         Snow
                   24 Hrs   Max Min Cur   Weather     New Total SWE
...Vermont...
Mount Mansfield     0.12    23  17  20   Light snow   1.5  25

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
625 PM EST SAT JAN 30 2016

Station            Precip   Temperature   Present         Snow
                   24 Hrs   Max Min Cur   Weather     New Total SWE
...Vermont...
Mount Mansfield     0.10    20   8  17                1.3  23

Curious how low the snow depth drops up there this week.  About 12-18" of that pack is pretty much solid ice at this point.

Probably bottom 10%, and falling.  The smallest snowpack I've recorded during February (1999 on) is 5" on several days in 2006.  I've got 10" this morning, but 40s today and tomorrow followed by a mild RA event midweek would threaten that mark.  And "worse than 2006" is awful - that was the year when I had only 7.8" Feb 1 on.

I hope you guys get something. As bad as it is down here, it's terrible up north.

Ha it's getting comical at this point relative to normal. This is making 2011-12 look like 00-01.

But I think there's also carry over from the past few seasons of also seeming to be on the outside looking in....can't look back and be like well at least we had record snow last year.

This upcoming pattern looks as good as any we've seen for a possible interior snow...the trough axis looks nice for things to move up the coast not off the coast like when the long wave trough is right over New England.

49F for my high temp.

I don't ever remember having such a durable snowcover.  It has so much staying power.  I think its because the only real storm I've had was that sleet fest storm earlier in the season.   I made a 6 second timelapse from 9am to 4:30pm of my front south facing slope.  Barely anything melted despite the warmth.  Note the edges along the grass.

https://video.nest.com/clip/b12539b268344bae89725e01d5a8e759.mp4

I've decided that I'm going into playoff mode. I'm not shaving again until we get at least advisory level snow, 6"+. That's not a big deal to most but I basically can't do facial hair, I'm a baby face. If this winter remains crappy, I may be facing a long 10 months with a splotchy, itchy mess on my face.

I've decided that I'm going into playoff mode. I'm not shaving again until we get at least advisory level snow, 6"+. That's not a big deal to most but I basically can't do facial hair, I'm a baby face. If this winter remains crappy, I may be facing a long 10 months with a splotchy, itchy mess on my face.

If we reach Vday with nothing appreciable and nothing in sight then I'm going 100% Calvin Johnson.

Archived