• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

yeah, I think we're toast. I've never witnessed such a bad winter. 2011-12 was the most recent disaster, but pales in comparison to this year.

I'd nominate 2 for worst since I moved to the foothills in 1998.

--2005-06:  Thru Jan 31 almost avg snowfall but every snowstorm but one (the Thanksgiving "cold tornado" event) ended with rain.  Then Feb-Mar-Apr provided a grand total of 7.8".  It's my only winter since moving to Maine in Jan 1973 that failed to have even one storm dump 6" or more.

--2009-10:  The 25-day winter, beginning with the Dec 9 storm and ending at 1 AM on Jan 3, when the retrobomb snow changed to rain.

--Too early to rank this one, though thru Jan it's near the bottom, in a dead heat with 2006-07 for that period. 

Actually had a net gain of 1" from yesterday's mess, with 1.5" of SN/IP on 0.40" LE followed by 0.35" RA at temps 32.0 to 32.5.  Odd snowfall pattern seen on yesterday afternoon's drive home, thanks perhaps to very shallow inversion.  No accum noted until just south of Belgrade Village at 300' elev, where there was a half inch or so of slush on road shoulders, then essentially zero new on Mile Hill at 800', and accum showing up at the north end of the hill, back down under 500'.  Probably milding up a bit today, but through 7 this morning I hadn't climbed beyond low 30s.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd nominate 2 for worst since I moved to the foothills in 1998.

--2005-06:  Thru Jan 31 almost avg snowfall but every snowstorm but one (the Thanksgiving "cold tornado" event) ended with rain.  Then Feb-Mar-Apr provided a grand total of 7.8".  It's my only winter since moving to Maine in Jan 1973 that failed to have even one storm dump 6" or more.

--2009-10:  The 25-day winter, beginning with the Dec 9 storm and ending at 1 AM on Jan 3, when the retrobomb snow changed to rain.

Actually had a net gain of 1" from yesterday's mess, with 1.5" of SN/IP on 0.40" LE followed by 0.35" RA at temps 32.0 to 32.5.  Odd snowfall pattern seen on yesterday afternoon's drive home, thanks perhaps to very shallow inversion.  No accum noted until just south of Belgrade Village at 300' elev, where there was a half inch or so of slush on road shoulders, then essentially zero new on Mile Hill at 800', and accum showing up at the north end of the hill, back down under 500'.

Those are the same two that come to mind for me as well.  I remember not riding my snowmobile at all in 05-06.

That's true.

Could slam out two 30-inch storms and then four 10-inch events and wind up near normal at home. Mountain needs four 30-inchers and about eight 10-inch dumps to get into a more normal range.

That would be one heck of turn around if you got 2 30" events and 4 10"+ events considering a win yesterday was .2" of sleet not melting on your car.

But still have a legitimate 2 months up there for some big events I guess.

That's true.

Could slam out two 30-inch storms and then four 10-inch events and wind up near normal at home. Mountain needs four 30-inchers and about eight 10-inch dumps to get into a more normal range.

Well I'm not talking about making it back to seasonal norms...but it's still early to be calling this the worst winter ever. If we manage normal for FMA then it's an okay finish.

That's true.

That's actually the perfect summary for the season. The Mansfield needs 200" of snow in 8 weeks to get to NORMAL. That's 3.3" of snow every day....

Well I'm not talking about making it back to seasonal norms...but it's still early to be calling this the worst winter ever. If we manage normal for FMA then it's an okay finish.

Yeah you are right...but I have to double check, we right now are sitting on stats like lowest snow depth days, lowest snowfall to date, lowest snow depth for early February, highest average high temp from November 1-February 1, etc for MMNV1 in over 60 years of weather data.

I think pretty much every metric you look at will say right now for the mountains of Vermont it is the worst winter in over half a century through early February. 

That may not carry all the way through NNE but say Tamarck has it top 3 worst so far.  But we still have 90 days of possible snow accumulation so lets see what happens. 

Some think posting this type of stuff is "melting" or being whinny or whatever...but this is what we talk about.  Its highly anomalous weather.  If this was a top 3 winter we'd post dozens of times a day high-fiving about it, lol.

You don't have to answer but I was wondering where you work.   I know that not all red-taggers here work in the field but from your response, it sounds like you are working in the meteorology field. 

Yeah I may be a weenie here because it is a venue to let my emotions fly, but I work for a private company called early alert and we provide weather information for companies that contract us for their specific needs like shipping routes and such. We have a few in the company who were once NWS Mets as well and we steer clear of the hype. Often we are dispelling bad information on social media and from other more well known sources LOL.

Mostly cloudy day.   Cooler than expected only made it to 31.9F.  Had a 30 second snow/graupel snower an hour ago.

N/CNE snowcover is going to take a beating this week.  I wonder if records are kept with overall coverage and depth?  Probably not.  If there were a bell shaped curve showing such things wonder where we would be on the scale?  

Maybe Dendrite or some else can dig up some old archives, but the small sample size that NOHRSC provides goes back 13 years to 2003. The closest year to this I could find would probably be 2012. 2016 is worse overall with coverage and depth though(Except N ME) I threw in a weenie year too for comparison-2011.

You can also see that Mid Atl KU from last week fading quickly.

nsm_depth_2016020405_Northeast.jpg

nsm_depth_2012020405_Northeast.jpg

nsm_depth_2011020405_Northeast.jpg

Anyone have Euro info?   I saw that Brian posted on the other thread the .50 gets to Nashua.   How far NW does the .25 and .10" run?

Thanks

Yeah that is correct and 0.25 up to about Lake Winnipesaukee southwestward through Brattleboro.

Just to contrast last year here are some shots I took today via drone of Lake Champlain from Oakledge Park. The lake is completely open. Last year at this time you could drive a truck across it. 

12633694_10103106813233289_2053005008055

12628497_10103106813228299_2673122158685

12698171_10103106813258239_4315166396578

Last Year:

11062800_10102490565403879_1134798558213

Officially now 0 down at the snowstake.  Fields are mostly snow free.  Not so surprisingly down below along Newfound Lake the ground is still almost all snowcovered.  We busted into the warm air overnight while they hold on to the cold air damning longer.  Attached is a picture of our snow or lack there of...

Eyewall thanks for the qpf update.  Looks like systems want to keep missing us, unreal.   

I also almost lost my drone today too.  Took it down to the lake and wanted to get some aerial footage of ice conditions  (the lake is nearly wide open which is unbelievable).  Anyhow I had it way out over the lake to the point I couldn't see it.  I lost video signal so I couldn't see where I was at so I couldn't orientate to fly back. Thankfully the remote has a "flyhome" feature.  Pushed it and just sat down and prayed a bit.  5 minutes later I hear the drone.   I look up and the bird has made its way back.  Not going to push the limits as much from now on!  Also on the evening news last night there was a piece about training eagles to down rogue drones.  Denmark, I think.  They show a bald eagle attacking a drone.  Dumbest idea I have ever heard.  Eagles use talons and attack from above, their talons grabbing their prey.  Top of drones have fast moving rotors you can't see.  Perfect for cutting up a birds foot.  Just use a shotgun but eagles?

post-268-0-79798900-1454614780_thumb.jpg

Damn...I have more than that here.

Brian,  Really elevation dependant.  Much more snow 500 feet below.  Also remember my land slopes SW so it clears quicker.  An historian told me once that back when my house was built  (1795)  farmers would always build high to extend the growing season at both ends.  They also picked sites that faced SW so soils would be warmer.  They also liked the hill to continue gaining altitude to the NW to protect against the cold winds.  Another reason they built in higher areas was so they could see other farmsteads and feel less lonely!!

So reading the anafrontal thread makes me think that this must be how Jewish kids feel in December.  Everyone else in school is all in on the Santa train and you're there with your 8 nights of token gifts. 

attachicon.gifHaunukkah.jpg

My apologies if I offended anyone of either religion.

I'm Jewish and not offended  Your right on with Chanukkah.  Parents use to wait till the last night and that was when we got a nice real gift or two.  Maybe that is how our winter will end up but a March blizzard is not the same as you know the snow will go fast.  I should be use to this by now but I'm not.  Past few years endless storms when SNE gets the good stuff.  Lots of those nickel and dimes for us.

PS  Really nice sunset tonight.  Sun setting and reflecting the underside of the cirrus overcast. 

On the plus side I never had any hope for tomorrow because I don't think any anafrontal storm has ever actually produced as much as modeled.  I am happy to be proven wrong but it seems like every year we hear of a pending anafrontal storm that just busts.

Pretty much seemed like a full on mud season run this evening. I was dancing around puddles trying not to end up in the soft stuff or in the oncoming "lane".

Still awfully warm this evening.  38.3/24F at 620pm.  Thinking back to last year how to just get up to freezing seemed like a real treat.  Our dirt road is very muddy too.  Surface down to a couple of inches of mud but not the deep mud of true mud season.  

Wondering if we here in NH were to get a big storm on Tuesday if it would change primary results.  Wonder if different candidate bases are more loyal than other ones. You Maine and Vermont guys are fortunate.  Phone keeps ringing with candidate calls or polling services. Mail full of flyers and WMUR in Manchester non stop commercials. 

In Stowe/Morrisville area right now, visiting from mass and I can't believe that it's going to snow in Waltham while we're here and it will then snow here after we go home. This winter is a giant middle finger.

The NAM and the SREFs show a brush even this far north from the anafrontal system. No one seems to be jumping on board. Will be following as I desperately want a little powder while I'm here.

In Stowe/Morrisville area right now, visiting from mass and I can't believe that it's going to snow in Waltham while we're here and it will then snow here after we go home. This winter is a giant middle finger.

The NAM and the SREFs show a brush even this far north from the anafrontal system. No one seems to be jumping on board. Will be following as I desperately want a little powder while I'm here.

Bummer you visited the one area of New England where it doesn't snow, haha.

The snow shield is in full effect this morning.  Even the radar knows to draw a hole around us.

Pretty soon skiers will be taking vacations to the mighty Blue Hills or Cape Cod dunes to get their snow fix.

Archived