joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

32.4F  rain.   Temp has been steady past few hours.  About as close to freezing rain as you can get.  Deer were out nibbling at the grass and gardens this morning. As the sleet started 7 of them laid down in the pasture.    Never seen them do that.  I guess grass is warmer than lying in snow in the woods! 

post-268-0-29178600-1454520004_thumb.jpg

Looking back at first week of FEB '15..definetly a cold start to a cold month . Slightly different from the first week of FEB 2016.

Lows- 2/1/15  -1

2/2/15   0

2/3/15  -16

2/4/15  -4

2/5/15  -1

2/6/15  -14

I've decided that I'm going into playoff mode. I'm not shaving again until we get at least advisory level snow, 6"+. That's not a big deal to most but I basically can't do facial hair, I'm a baby face. If this winter remains crappy, I may be facing a long 10 months with a splotchy, itchy mess on my face.

Since we are are unsure of anything popping for us next week, I wanted to document my facial hair in this thread.  This picture was taken Monday morning.  The last time I shaved was the morning of Friday, January 29th.  One guy in the office said he could generate this much from the time he shaved in the morning and lunch.  I could be in for a long, uncomfortable, embarrassing haul.

post-363-0-71756500-1454527026_thumb.jpg

Looking back at first week of FEB '15..definetly a cold start to a cold month . Slightly different from the first week of FEB 2016.

Lows- 2/1/15  -1

2/2/15   0

2/3/15  -16

2/4/15  -4

2/5/15  -1

2/6/15  -14

Feb 1-3 last year had mean temps of 3, -9, and -1, and averaged -17F compared to my avg.  Depending on how mild it gets this evening, Feb 1-3, 2016 will be in the +17/+18 range, a complete reversal.

It's been light and moderate RA in AUG since about 10 AM, after a 0.2" puff of snow about 2 hr ahead of the big slug, and was reporting 38F at 2 PM.  A neighbor's 11 AM Facebook pic looked like about an inch of new, and Wunderground at 2:30 listed New Sharon at 28F with IP, North Belgrade at 36.  Looks like Mile Hill and the Kennebec Highlands have been holding off the warmer air so far.  Should be nice and messy for the ride home.

Since we are are unsure of anything popping for us next week, I wanted to document my facial hair in this thread. This picture was taken Monday morning. The last time I shaved was the morning of Friday, January 29th. One guy in the office said he could generate this much from the time he shaved in the morning and lunch. I could be in for a long, uncomfortable, embarrassing haul.

IMG_0299.JPG

This has got be rock bottom. Only up from here

I can't figure out if I should consider this a win...having frozen precip make it through the entire day on my car, lol.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Win. Like ADK said, sad, but still a win IMO.

Maybe I think its a win just because I have been under 30-35dBZ bands all day, and not the good kind.  Results are 1.31" RA

Lakes and ponds all over down here in the peoples yards.

There's a skunk outside my house. And today I said "Mud season is upon us." Capitulation by critters and all the rest of us- winter should be here shortly....

I smelled a skunk at some point as well. I wonder if bears ever went into hibernation?

PF- I count that as a win but then again, I'm a cheap date.

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/0.31” L.E.

I don’t think our location picked up any additional frozen precipitation subsequent to what was on the board yesterday morning, but there was 0.30” of additional liquid in the gauge at this morning’s observations.

The next potential snow event still appears to be Saturday/Sunday timeframe with that low pressure tracking across Canada:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

354 AM EST THU FEB 4 2016

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...

AS OF 347 AM EST THURSDAY....BY SATURDAY EVENING AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH AND ASSOCIATED SURFACE LOW WILL BEGIN TO TRACK ACROSS JAMES BAY IN CANADA. THE RESULTING FRONTAL SYSTEM WILL BRING A GLANCING BLOW TO THE NORTH COUNTRY AND LIKELY BRING SNOW TO NORTHERN NEW YORK AND NORTHERN VERMONT ON SUNDAY. GUIDANCE STILL POINTS TO A VERY TIGHT THERMAL GRADIENT AT 925MB SO CONVECTIVE SNOW SHOWERS AT THIS POINT SEEM LIKELY ESPECIALLY IN NORTHERN NEW YORK AS THE FRONT MOVES CLOSER.

Went running in shorts this morning in Red Rocks Park.  Felt awesome. F it. Bring on some warmth. 

I mean, have you seen the long range GFS for end of Feb? 850s at +5-+10C in a complete zonal pacific flow. 

<starts reading up on new putters>

yeah, I think we're toast. I've never witnessed such a bad winter. 2011-12 was the most recent disaster, but pales in comparison to this year.

Archived