joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bummer you visited the one area of New England where it doesn't snow, haha.

The snow shield is in full effect this morning.  Even the radar knows to draw a hole around us.

Pretty soon skiers will be taking vacations to the mighty Blue Hills or Cape Cod dunes to get their snow fix.

attachicon.gifbgm_None_anim.gif

Oh yeah, snowing here in the Hudson valley, schools closed.

LOL at the article. How dumb can you be, especially in a place that sensitive to this kind of thing. Anyway the models have zero big tickets at this point up here as of now. Most of Feb looks like it is slipping away. I wonder if I can get a discount if I turn in my ski lease early ;). The all time seasonal futility record is on the table for BTV.

Ugh went to smuggs yesterday. Really nice group of staff but conditions sucked. I'd much rather go there than Stowe due to pricing and atmosphere but their coverage wasn't half that of stowe. Couple of employees said this is the worst they've seen in 30 yrs up here

Ugh went to smuggs yesterday. Really nice group of staff but conditions sucked. I'd much rather go there than Stowe due to pricing and atmosphere but their coverage wasn't half that of stowe. Couple of employees said this is the worst they've seen in 30 yrs up here

Its more like worst in 60 years at this point.  Every day we are setting new all-time snow depth lows at the Co-Op that's been around since 1954.

Yeah normally I would have gone today but looking at the webcams I am not up for a scrapefest.

WTH is going on this morning? Have we turned into I-84?

nh dot i93 ‏@nhdoti93 3h3 hours ago

CRASH ALERT: Northfield, I-93 SB MM 55.6, right lane closed.

CRASH ALERT: In Tilton on I-93 SB MM 58.4.

CRASH ALERT:  Northfield, I-93 SB, MM 52.8.  Left lane closed.

nh dot i93 ‏@nhdoti93 2h2 hours ago

CRASH ALERT: Canterbury, I-93 NB just north of Exit 18, left lane

nh dot i93 ‏@nhdoti93 3m3 minutes ago

CRASH ALERT: Northfield, I-93 NB at Mile 52, right lane

The snow stopped a little while ago. How?

Don't worry eek, it will start back up again.  It's snowing so hard now that I can't count individual flakes anymore!  Just cleared the driveway with the leaf blower.  That leaf blower gets more work than my shovels.   Next......oh that's another OTS to screw us yet again.

WTH is going on this morning? Have we turned into I-84?

CRASH ALERT: In Tilton on I-93 SB MM 58.4.

CRASH ALERT:  Northfield, I-93 SB, MM 52.8.  Left lane closed.

nh dot i93 ‏@nhdoti93 2h2 hours ago

CRASH ALERT: Canterbury, I-93 NB just north of Exit 18, left lane

nh dot i93 ‏@nhdoti93 3m3 minutes ago

CRASH ALERT: Northfield, I-93 NB at Mile 52, right lane

Looks like day before yesterday on I-95 in Maine.  And the real skating parties were on the back roads.

Was very surprised at all the school closings around here, though my Fort Kent experience (1.5 total days lost to wx in 10 years) has spoiled me in that regard.  However, this event looks to be an overperformer here, currently +SN with 2"+ down and a long streamer of echoes upstream.  Good dendrites, too, so ratio is probably in the 12-15 range.  Radar definitely less impressive on the home front, but since I anticipated maybe an inch or two max, getting twice that in the dooryard is still a win.

Maybe you guys should leave Vermont for a snowy place?

I'm thinking of moving to the snow mecca of the Boston suburbs.  They seem to be fairly "pattern-proof" and snow every which way imaginable.

This is such a funny turn around and its amazingly ironic how it goes sometimes.  I remember back in like 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, etc the idea on this forum was every passing cloud farts snow up here.

I remember an event in April one year back in like 2009 or maybe even 2011 where Will (ORH) and Ray (40/70) were discussing they were pleased at a last minute east shift brought good snows there and sort of screwed us up here...but the comments were like "I'm not going to lose sleep over PF only having 8.5 feet of snow on the ground instead of 9."  And "its about time one trended our way" type stuff.

So funny how it changes around.

I hiked into Smugglers Notch with my dad today and there were bare spots which had green ferns in them and some trees had buds. The conditions did look pretty bad at the ski area with bare spots below the evergreen line and the cover that was there was pretty much glacial.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I hiked into Smugglers Notch with my dad today and there were bare spots which had green ferns in them and some trees had buds. The conditions did look pretty bad at the ski area with bare spots below the evergreen line and the cover that was there was pretty much glacial.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

You might have been seeing christmas ferns, which stay green year round. 

Storm total  1.25".   I would expect with sun tomorrow and temps in the mid to upper 30's I will be back to bare ground at least in sunny locations.  My partner was up in Plymouth and Campton and said just a heavy dusting up there.  Still enough to cause an oncoming car to be skidding sideways towards him coming down a large hill.  Bob had to avoid the car by swerving into a ditch.  Nice $2000 fender bender but he was not hurt.  The other car kept going so couldn't get a plate number. Sucks! 

Smugglers Notch from the Air. I couldn't fly the drone for long because the winds started really picking up. I came back down pretty quick when the roaring began. None the less you can see how patchy the cover is where normally it would be primed for backcountry skiers and riders by now:

12698144_10103108711154839_8193142183705

12698711_10103108711129889_9414480668185

12697349_10103108711149849_6538686995609

Awesome shots, Jeremy.  That's good stuff.

Hopefully folks realize how abnormal that is to see any bare ground at 2,000ft in the Notch, at what is likely in the top 3 snowiest locations in the state and possibly top 5 in NNE.  The notch between Mansfield and Smuggs just fills with snow, so much orographic lift and also moisture trying to squeeze through between the walls of the Spine.

Awesome shots, Jeremy.  That's good stuff.

Hopefully folks realize how abnormal that is to see any bare ground at 2,000ft in the Notch, at what is likely in the top 3 snowiest locations in the state and possibly top 5 in NNE.  The notch between Mansfield and Smuggs just fills with snow, so much orographic lift and also moisture trying to squeeze through between the walls of the Spine.

Thank you and yeah there were a few flurries as I hiked in but not much. The coverage on the road was ice and required spikes or crampons.

Smugglers Notch from the Air. I couldn't fly the drone for long because the winds started really picking up. I came back down pretty quick when the roaring began. None the less you can see how patchy the cover is where normally it would be primed for backcountry skiers and riders by now:

12698144_10103108711154839_8193142183705

12698711_10103108711129889_9414480668185

12697349_10103108711149849_6538686995609

That is appalling. You would think that there has to be some sort of catch up before April. E SNE just keeps finding ways to snow, it's really amazing. I'm so gun shy about misses that I was actually a bit shocked to get snow this morning.

I wouldn't go that far. It's not like ENE's had feet and feet of snow...  

That is appalling. You would think that there has to be some sort of catch up before April. E SNE just keeps finding ways to snow, it's really amazing. I'm so gun shy about misses that I was actually a bit shocked to get snow this morning.

Archived