• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2016 Forecasts/Disco/Obs

snowman19

Yeah, you have to be concerned about the track hugging the coast more than people like to see with that

+NAO and ridge off the East Coast.

nao.sprd2.gif

I agree the positive NAO creates some risk, but we have had so many snowstorms the last few years wthout an NAO that i am not too concerned yet. The Negative AO and positive PNA as well as the highs to the north and west should at least keep us in the game.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all depends on how amped up the system is in the day 8-10 day range.

We had the -AO/-NAO for the blizzard back in January to prevent too close a hug to the coast.

So the NW trend worked out big time for us since the system started out further SE in the longer

range models.

The UKMET system that came back west was weak enough not to hug and delivered a nice

snowstorm to Long Island. The next storm that came NW was snow also but the system

in the Lakes kept it a little too far east to really max out the potential.

So the +NAO and Western Atlantic Ridge could raise concerns that an amplified system

may come back to hug the coast. But a more strung out system in pieces could

stay more suppressed and not come back too far west. Too soon tell how things

will play out since over a week away.

Also instead of a 50/50 low, there's a 50/50 high. I agree with PB, this may be one for the interior they want so bad...

Recent cold Temps wiped out the strong positive temp departures from earlier in the month...departure here after yesterday is now -1.2 degrees.

Yeah, the current -0.7 at NYC through the 15th would come out to a departure weighted 34.6 if the

month which averages 35.3 continued with this departure. 

So if February finishes right on the 35.3 average, the winter would finish at 40.2.

That would be an amazing contrast against the heaviest daily snowstorm in NYC on

record in January and a 30"+ season. Not to mention the warmest winter to feature

a below zero reading in NYC.

The EPS have a strong storm signal day 8-10 along the East Coast. We just don't want the pattern so amped

that the Western Atlantic Ridge pushes back again and the storm comes further west when we get closer

like many of our storms have since late January. The WAR is already pretty strong on the day 10 EPS.

So any increase puts the track further west than we are seeing at 0z.

ecmwf-ens_z500a_nhem_11.png

look what a newfoundland ridge is giving us today

Right now based on tendencies this winter the Monday event most certainly goes over or to our north as rain. Add in not just the Atlantic ridge but that most highs coming down from the Plains have been weaker and slower. Any model showing the mid week system as a miss should be taken lightly right now because that just screams of coming closer to the coast as everything has done all winter.

You want to see the EPS move in that direction so when it comes back west we'll be in the sweet spot.

Less amped 7-10 days out is not a bad look for US if the EPS follows suit.

Another  key will be the keep the PNA in place . Look at the Euro  BELOW and it maintains it`s heights into W Canada .

Now look at the GFS at 180 it`s lining us up with the same look .

gfs_z500a_sd_namer_31.png

But here at 204 a piece of the GOA low breaks off and breaks the ridge down and flattens the flow so SLP escapes E . 

gfs_z500a_sd_namer_35.png

gfs_z500a_sd_namer_41.png

The EURO maintains the look so you create height rises on the EC and LP comes  .

You will need to look at both coasts . Not just the WAR . 

ecmwf_z500a_sd_namer_10.png

ecmwf-ens_z500a_sd_namer_11.png

West trend has been the big,I suppose help, in terms of storms giving snows to NYC,long Island, parts of Jersey and Hudson valley. Minus today storm of course.

With that in mind, any signs or suggestions that the ridge in the Atlantic will go away at some point?

It can only be around for so long I'd imagine right?

I'd like to see another big snowstorm but the chances of getting another one is not great...this winter like the 1982-83 winter was quite mild but had a major storm...It did not have a below zero day like this year did...I think we will have a colder March than 1983 had...March 1983 was very wet...If this March is wet the chances of snow goes up...1982-83 had a 17.6" storm in NYC and 9.6" from four other events adding up to 27.2" for the season...So far NYC has 31.2"...26.8" from the January blizzard and 4.4" from four other events...March 1983 was the wettest on record with an average temperature of 44.0...about +1.5 from todays normals...only a trace of snow was reported...It did get a measurable snow in April...

that will change 10 or more times in the next week - have to watch out for the west trend and nothing to keep the HP in Canada locked in

If the Arctic Oscillation dives more quickly and blocking develops more quickly, something closer to what the 12z EPS showed would be on the table. It's a little soon for me to speculate beyond the idea of the possibility of a significant storm around the 24th or 25th. Whether it would be a classic interior storm, coastal storm, or bring widespread significant snowfall to both areas remains to be seen.

Archived