Newest Member
    joxey
February 2016 Forecasts/Disco/Obs

snowman19

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WPC clearly east of the GFS @ Day 7 

Get this into Day 3 and we'll talk snow.

Did you happen to catch the 500mb vort graphic from the Euro? There's a sloppy phase around hr 162. This was close to a complete miss for us. A few hours sooner and it would have went West like the GFS. 

For starters the PARA Euro has been highly unstable. It was terrible with the blizzard back in January.

Secondly, I just went back and looked at the 00z Euro Para run and it barely has any measurable snow West of Long Island. It's a good run for New England and the east end, and an Eastern outlier at this point. Furthermore, we don't have the 12z run yet which could be completely different.

The Para Euro has seemed to have a bit of a progressive bias to me with systems, it seems they may have tried to do something about the Euro wanting to overamp and over corrected it

Did you happen to catch the 500mb vort graphic from the Euro? There's a sloppy phase around hr 162. This was close to a complete miss for us. A few hours sooner and it would have went West like the GFS. 

Yeah, there are a lot of things that could go wrong. It almost reminds me of the Feb 2014 Blizzard. If that powerful shortwave in the Lakes isn't able to get involved at the perfect moment (not too early either, or you have a GFS redux) then it will completely screw things up. 

The ECMWF Para had that kind of solution last night. Late phase and more of a OTS track. 

We really want that ridge out west to be as amped as possible

5195869491baab941d51b810c87dc393.png

IF we can just get a decent track with some fresh cold working in, the potential would be pretty high for this one. 

The models are already keying in on explosive upper level dynamics that would lead to a significant amount of moisture. My rule for now is that we'll have the "windshield wiper" effect going on for a few days, then by Sunday/Monday we should start to key in on whether or not this is the real deal and for what region. 

2b99e68c06c85812c9ffbf6e4e831b66.png

5d71beaac0afddebb6ff8cc5a4a76717.gif

Gfs tracks offshore, almost a perfect track but is very warm

Track looks identical to euro based off the hard to see SV frames, I may be wrong....

Dude, the first low tracks way inland and pushes the mid-level warmth all the way up to NNE. The second system could track over Bermuda and it would still be rain here.

gfs_T850_neus_28.png

Yes I can't tell on my phone, judging by the mslp frame map it looked offshore, would explain it then

You're referring to when the primary low finally moves through, which would indeed give the far interior a few more inches on the back end. This is total combined from all possible systems.

GFS-MAXRES_SnowTotal_ne_f201.png?v=14557

GFS-MAXRES_QPFtotal_ne_f204.png?v=145574

Thank the mega nino for this one.

gfs_apcpn_neus_35.png

Can't trust the GFS right now - its been inconsistent last couple of days - it has a very poor track record this far in advance of a storm and it is famous for messing up southern stream east coast systems - stick with Euro OP and EPS

Can't trust the GFS right now - its been inconsistent last couple of days - it has a very poor track record this far in advance of a storm and it is famous for messing up southern stream east coast systems - stick with Euro OP and EPS

At the same time though it now appears the Euro is gonna go down in flames Monday, it caved today to the GFS and CMC on the NNE snow event that it showed no semblance of til then. It definitely has ran hot and cold

When you compare the 00z EPS mean to the 12z EPS mean, the 12z run was actually way more amped up and further NW but nobody payed attention because it still showed a desirable outcome.

00z

ecmwf-ens_z500_mslp_us_10.png

12z

ecmwf-ens_z500_mslp_us_9.png

At the same time though it now appears the Euro is gonna go down in flames Monday, it caved today to the GFS and CMC on the NNE snow event that it showed no semblance of til then. It definitely has ran hot and cold

The Euro has been no better this year than the GFS when it comes to storms. I know that the Euro always scores better overall, but that's because they account for all weather events, not just snowstorms.

The Euro has been no better this year than the GFS when it comes to storms. I know that the Euro always scores better overall, but that's because they account for all weather events, not just snowstorms.

Yeah I mention that often, I don't know why someone cannot break down the country into sectors over 96 hours preceeding an event and see what scores better

Archived