• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 2016 Forecasts/Disco/Obs

snowman19

This is another case of not if a storm will happen, but where and what pieces get involved?

The EPS has a ton of members that are inland runners/apps runners, and the hi-res GEFS are even further inland and look quite similar to the rest of the LR guidance. Its very, very early now but I would favor a coastal hugger or inland runner with this particular system due to the lack of confluence, the ridge axis out in the West being further west than what is needed, and the ridge out in front of our storm building, and slowly backing away. These can easily change, but thats just the way things look as of 12z today. 

Though, I wouldn't get too worried though since the GFS and ECM both show the potential for some pretty cold air to get involved even if this is a coastal hugger. All in all, there's an interesting threat on the horizon and we have something to track again. 

(Pretty good indications from the hi-res GEFS that a moisture-loaded system is in the works) 

fdfc39a7dce7fbd9753b9d45dd1320df.gif

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is another case of not if a storm will happen, but where and what pieces get involved?

The EPS has a ton of members that are inland runners/apps runners, and the hi-res GEFS are even further inland and look quite similar to the rest of the LR guidance. Its very, very early now but I would favor a coastal hugger or inland runner with this particular system due to the lack of confluence, the ridge axis out in the West being further west than what is needed, and the ridge out in front of our storm building, and slowly backing away. These can easily change, but thats just the way things look as of 12z today.

Though, I wouldn't get too worried though since the GFS and ECM both show the potential for some pretty cold air to get involved even if this is a coastal hugger. All in all, there's an interesting threat on the horizon and we have something to track again.

(Pretty good indications from the hi-res GEFS that a moisture-loaded system is in the works)

fdfc39a7dce7fbd9753b9d45dd1320df.gif

Where did you get that map from?

I know people have been a bit down on the Euro since it "missed" the shift northward for the recent blizzard (as did all the models, except the NAM, iirc).  However, in the end it saw the shift and, more importantly, for a medium range threat like this, it locked in on that storm from a week or so out and didn't waver much - it always had it being a big snow maker for DC/Balt/Philly, all of which verified (it just missed the northern extent, which is a "small" error in the grand scheme of things for modeling).  

My main point is there's no model I'd rather have showing a snowstorm 8 days out than the Euro.  Will be fun to watch this one evolve and go through all the usual gyrations.  Given I have 30" this winter, which is a few inches above my seasonal average, in what might still be the warmest winter on record, anything additional is gravy for me (would be nice to see the NW folks cash in too).  

ecmwf-ens_z500_mslp_us_10.png

ecmwf-ens_T850_mslp_us_10.png

euro ens= thread worthy ,,,but thats just me :bag:

GEFS for good measure

gfs-ens_z500_mslp_us_34.png

WPC ext disco

MODEL TRENDS CONTINUE TO SHOW SOME POTENTIAL FOR INCREASED STREAMSEPARATION AND POSSIBLY SIGNIFICANT COASTAL STORM DEVELOPMENT INTHE 6-8 DAY TIME FRAME. WPC PROGS SHOW ONE SUCH SCENARIO DAYS6/7...BUT ENSEMBLE LOW CLUSTERING/SPREAD INDICATES THAT UNCERTAINWAVELENGTH SPACING OF IMPULSES WITHIN THE FLOW COULD CHANGE LOWEMPHASIS.

http://origin.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdepd

06z GFS  snow  prog

"the big one's lock in early" -anom

gfs_asnow_neus_34.png

Mt Airy Lodge FTW

that will change 10 or more times in the next week - have to watch out for the west trend and nothing to keep the HP in Canada locked in

Not sure that I agree with this, we don't even have a 'lock' yet on this storm to begin with, let alone having to watch out for a "west trend". If anything, the ENS means (GEFS/GEPS/EPS) look like they have moved the storm farther off the coast last couple of runs. Admittedly though, I would much rather have a system shown OFF the coast at this range than a cutter or hugging the coast. To note, I hardly put any weight in the OP runs at this range....ENS are the way to go for now.  

Not sure that I agree with this, we don't even have a 'lock' yet on this storm to begin with, let alone having to watch out for a "west trend". If anything, the ENS means (GEFS/GEPS/EPS) look like they have moved the storm farther off the coast last couple of runs. Admittedly though, I would much rather have a system shown OFF the coast at this range than a cutter or hugging the coast. To note, I hardly put any weight in the OP runs at this range....ENS are the way to go for now.  

0z Para looks nice. Colder and further east than the op Euro.

In all and complete honesty,gfs is west at hour 168, pressure lower by 1 mb to 993. Mind you the lows placement at this time is down south still,by.. Georgia...rains stretch all the way to... freaking rain, snows at Canadian border.. waiting for rest too load..

Looks like a mess of a storm at this point lol

In all and complete honesty,gfs is west at hour 168, pressure lower by 1 mb to 993. Mind you the lows placement at this time is down south still,by.. Georgia...rains stretch all the way to... freaking rain, snows at Canadian border.. waiting for rest too load..

Looks like a mess of a storm at this point lol

As long as storms there whatever outcome the models show right now are irrelevant... Watch ensembles instead... Watch the OPS around 3-4 days

The GFS having that wave Monday that basically the Euro hasn't shown once yet is a possible factor in deciding what it has unfolding with the following storm. If that Monday system doesn't occur everything else is likely different

If I'm not mistaken, Euro, cmc both doesn't show it.. or the jma

3 and 4 runs ago,at hour 198 on 12Z, the low is no where near our area,it's will north and east! what a big swing west and slower since 18z Feb 16... but at 12z the low placement was in ocean I think near bench mark area roughly...

Unless I'm missing something I think it's more realistic it's going be well east of current run, I hope!

The main question with the timing of the neg tilt on the Euro is if it's hanging too much energy back so 

it lets the LP track further east of the 12z GFS. Pretty much an unknown quantity at this point.

The whole EPS more east track was based on the base of the trough dragging its heels so

the trough goes neg tilt later.

144 UKMET/EPS  vs the GFS at 12z

WAR much stronger on the GFS . I think it`s an error , it causes the GFS to neg tilt too fast .

gfs_z500a_namer_25.png

ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_7.png

GZ_D5_PN_144_0000.gif

Archived