• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2016 Forecasts/Disco/Obs

snowman19

Well said...also I don't recall a 5-7 day threat being discussed so vociferously. I mean weenie maps have been posted...even yesterday. You guys really must want this one. Odd since the event Monday which did some icing damage was barely discussed

There are 42 pages on mondays storm. What is "discussed a lot" to you?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well said...also I don't recall a 5-7 day threat being discussed so vociferously. I mean weenie maps have been posted...even yesterday. You guys really must want this one. Odd since the event Monday which did some icing damage was barely discussed

Us folks up here in the Mid Hudson Valley.... To say we want this is an understatement. Our biggest single snow event this winter has been 2 inches.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You're just now realizing that most of the people here want it to snow?

It's a weather discussion board that talks about the weather!

The 0Z Euro is showing you what can happen with too much amplitude and the strong

Western Atlantic Ridge pattern since late January. The trough goes neg tilt faster this

run and pumps the WAR enough so the track has come west. Even the 0z UKMET

came west since it goes neg tilt faster.

EPS is all over the place. Final solution will not be solved until early next week.

The WAR/+NAO pattern is too strong right now for a super-amplified system. Your best hope is for the models

to slow the neg tilt so the low slips east. A faster neg tilt like the 0z GFS...UKMET..Euro won't cut it in this

pattern that has been in place since late January. Seasonal trends are important.

FWIW (and I know you're just parroting what you read from real meteorologists and its them that should know better, not you), there is very little evidence for the importance of "seasonal trends".  I.e., there is very little evidence that if models are behaving in a certain way in a given pattern, that you should expect them to continue to behave that way in a given pattern.  This is not entirely true - certain patterns can interact with a known bias of a model in predictable ways - but big picture, the notion that you have to adjust a models output because, for instance, it's shown a SE bias with the last several storms, is not science-based.

You'll make better forecasts if you don't make handwave adjustments to model output.   That's why quantitative consensus forecasts outperform humans these days (to wit, the Weather Channel (quantitative) outperforming the NWS (qualitative/quantitative mix) for high temp forecasts; the model consensus (qualitative) outperforming the NHC (quantitative/qualitative mix) for hurricane track forecasts).

Archived