• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2016 Forecasts/Disco/Obs

snowman19

The real big problem is that the NAO stays positive, no 50/50 low and the strong WAR hangs tough. If a trough deepens in that setup and a shortwave amplifies next week, you have today and tomorrow (cutter) all over again, except without the extreme cold this week had. In that pattern, with no Atlantic blocking, any disturbance that really amps up with a trough turning neutral to negative is going to be a cutter, as we saw today.

MJO is going into 7 and 8. The pattern going into the end of the month looks a lot better than what we have now. EPS is hinting at a coastal towards the end of the month.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The EPO goes downhill towards the end of the month

ftp://ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Public/gbates/reforecast2/teleconn/4panel.png

What?

Well over 30"s here on the season. And we are still in the most favorable time of year for snow at the coast. And this is still way out there

I'll take 95-96 every year!!!

Well over 30"s here on the season. And we are still in the most favorable time of year for snow at the coast. And this is still way out there

I'll take 95-96 every year!!!

This winter has not been good at all except for the big blizzard. Take away that and most of us in NYC would have only about 5 inches of snow.

This winter has not been good at all except for the big blizzard. Take away that and most of us in NYC would have only about 5 inches of snow.

I have 15" from other events. Overall snow wise 15" and a 24" blizzard not bad at all. Nassau county is doing better then almost all of Vermont outside of super high elevations. That's got to have odds of several hundred years to one this late in the winter

The real big problem is that the NAO stays positive, no 50/50 low and the strong WAR hangs tough. If a trough deepens in that setup and a shortwave amplifies next week, you have today and tomorrow (cutter) all over again, except without the extreme cold this week had. In that pattern, with no Atlantic blocking, any disturbance that really amps up with a trough turning neutral to negative is going to be a cutter, as we saw today.

Disagree .

Here was the old day 10 that showed this would cut . Look at where the ridge is tomorrow vs Day 10 

Day 10 EPS 9 days ago .

ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_11.png

ecmwf-ens_T850_mslp_namer_11.png

ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_2.png

Here is the day 10 EPS  The Euro does not cut this .  The WAR is just far enough E to allow to slip to the E  coast . 

Look at the ridge extend over the pole  vs the split flow from 10 days ago .

Different set up on the EC .

It is 10 days away , but the Euro did a good job here  in it`s L/R 

ecmwf-ens_T850_mslp_us_11.png

ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_11.png

Another Miller A? Are you referring to the Jan 23/24 blizzard as the previous one? If so, I have read a CWG article referring to the Jan 23/24 blizzard as a Miller B.

Is this for sure? I think I read on here about it being a Miller A. Miller Bs usually don't pan out like that.

Storm is still there on the 18z GFS.

Is this for sure? I think I read on here about it being a Miller A. Miller Bs usually don't pan out like that.

Storm is still there on the 18z GFS.

I was surprised to have read the article too. Ill find the article and post as an edit.

Here: Fourth paragraph in

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/02/03/coastal-storm-possible-early-next-week-but-its-too-soon-to-say-rain-snow-or-mix/

I was surprised to have read the article too. Ill find the article and post as an edit.

Here: Fourth paragraph inhttps://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/02/03/coastal-storm-possible-early-next-week-but-its-too-soon-to-say-rain-snow-or-mix/

Interesting, thanks. Wasn't the second big snow in 2010 also a Miller B?

EPS

DAY 9/10

ecmwf-ens_mslpa_namer_10.png

ecmwf-ens_mslpa_namer_11.png

ecmwf-ens_T850_mslp_us_11.png

SO another cold shot and then spring should be nosing its way in if I am reading this right. So we might not be done with winter events just yet. Would like to see another "real" snow ( we had numerous events like this last one over the years ) without a change to rain before the winter ends. Won't bet against that just yet. Well, this winter was anything but boring so far, but in reality, it has been tame for northern areas.

KFOX was -7 at midnight last night and hit a high of 48 tonight before midnight.

...WOW!..a 55 degree spread..luv living in the 'fake' cold zone..some impressive low

temps.I got below zero for 2 consecutive nights here..ponds and even the bay froze up..

enough to play some pond hockey on sunday.

The EPS have a strong storm signal day 8-10 along the East Coast. We just don't want the pattern so amped

that the Western Atlantic Ridge pushes back again and the storm comes further west when we get closer

like many of our storms have since late January. The WAR is already pretty strong on the day 10 EPS.

So any increase puts the track further west than we are seeing at 0z.

attachicon.gifecmwf-ens_z500a_nhem_11.png

I like the ridge over the top and in front of it .  We always run the risk of something hugging with that ridge sitting there to the E  . 

If i were in the interior this would be the one I would key on . 

I like the ridge over the top and in front of it .  We always run the risk of something hugging with that ridge sitting there to the E  . 

If i were in the interior this would be the one I would key on . 

the ao forecast is for a dip in the index late February...It could be a strong block again...

SO another cold shot and then spring should be nosing its way in if I am reading this right. So we might not be done with winter events just yet. Would like to see another "real" snow ( we had numerous events like this last one over the years ) without a change to rain before the winter ends. Won't bet against that just yet. Well, this winter was anything but boring so far, but in reality, it has been tame for northern areas.

Those maps show nothing about spring nosing in fwiw. Those are h5 maps

Archived