• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - February 2016

MAG5035

2/16/16: 2 hour delay for Capitol Complex, Hbg area and Scranton, Reading and Phila Office Buildings Non-essential employees under the Governor's jurisdiction who work in the Capitol Complex and Harrisburg Area, Scranton State Office Building, Reading State Office Building and Philadelphia Office Buildings are authorized a two hour delay to their regularly starting work schedule today, February 16, 2016. This delay, and any field office delays or closings, are subject to the provisions of Management Directive 530.17, Partial and Full-Day Closings of State Offices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hm. Someone in my agency didn't send out this note. Oops!!!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolute obliteration of the snow and ice here. I easily had a 6"-8" average depth at 6am. It's now down to patches. 50 here and just dumping rain with strong southerly winds. 

Kudos to all of you who thought the cold would hold tough longer than the models predicted.

Kudos to people like myself who mentioned just how quickly cold air can be overwhelmed in such a short time. My temp has risen 26 degrees in 4 hours. 

Absolute obliteration of the snow and ice here. I easily had a 6"-8" average depth at 6am. It's now down to patches. 50 here and just dumping rain with strong southerly winds. 

Kudos to all of you who thought the cold would hold tough longer than the models predicted.

Kudos to people like myself who mentioned just how quickly cold air can be overwhelmed in such a short time. My temp has risen 26 degrees in 4 hours. 

That's outstanding Mike! Wow. 

Wow guys...the warmth is closing in from all directions....but not here!!  After rising to 33.9 back around 8:30 in the heavy rain, I dropped back down to 32.5 degrees.  Now I'm back up to a warm 33.0 degrees.  Since 7:20 when I went above freezing I have recorded another 0.80" of rainfall which about equals the liquid that fell below 32 degrees.  How much longer will my cold hold???  I'll keep you posted.

I'll second NEPAwx's temps. we went from having an inch or so of ice/sleet/snow on our deck at 6:00 to it being cleared at 8:30.  roads were fine, but there are power outages all over and I saw some fallen trees and branches on the road. 

School doesn't open until 12:00 but people are here. they don't believe that we delayed until noon.

Wow guys...the warmth is closing in from all directions....but not here!! After rising to 33.9 back around 8:30 in the heavy rain, I dropped back down to 32.5 degrees. Now I'm back up to a warm 33.0 degrees. Since 7:20 when I went above freezing I have recorded another 0.80" of rainfall which about equals the liquid that fell below 32 degrees. How much longer will my cold hold??? I'll keep you posted.

This is part of why I was thinking all week about ice storm... Southeast or east wind around here over snow cover and the cold air pools against east side of Apps and is able to fight the warm air a bit that the models don't handle well. The huge gradient from you to east is really impressive right now. It was 40 on west shore and jumped 5-10 degrees just crossing to east shore.

Just hit 1.00"...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A

* FLOOD ADVISORY FOR MINOR FLOODING FOR POOR DRAINAGE AREAS FOR...
RAIN AND SNOWMELT IN...
[basically the entire BGM FA]

* UNTIL 600 PM EST

* AT 1201 PM EST...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED HEAVY RAIN...
SNOWMELT AND SLUSH CLOGGED DRAINS WERE CAUSING AREAS OF MINOR
STREET AND LOW LYING AREAS AT SEVERAL LOCATIONS ACROSS CENTRAL NEW
YORK AND NORTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA.

ADDITIONAL RAINFALL UP TO AN INCH AND A HALF THROUGH THE REST OF
TODAY WILL CAUSE SIGNIFICANT RISES ON AREA STREAMS AND CREEKS ALONG
WITH ADDITIONAL MINOR POOR DRAINAGE FLOODING IN SOME AREAS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FLOOD ADVISORY MEANS RIVER OR STREAM FLOWS ARE ELEVATED...OR
PONDING OF WATER IN URBAN OR OTHER AREAS IS OCCURRING OR IS IMMINENT.
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TRAVEL ACROSS FLOODED ROADS. FIND ALTERNATE ROUTES.
IT TAKES ONLY A FEW INCHES OF SWIFTLY FLOWING WATER TO CARRY VEHICLES
AWAY.

Quite a lot of flooding around Harrisburg today, not surprisingly. Some schools flooded, Front St is closed in midtown, Cameron is (or was) closed.

Looks like the rain's about out of here though so that's good. Tonight this slush refreezes which will really suck.

But Saturday looks awesome - sunny and low 50s!

A lot of the roads was flooded this morning because the storm drains was blocked by snow & ice.

We picked up 1.70" of rain today so far, and I figure - estimate - 3" of snow from the storm. Measured 2.5" when I went to bed but it was still snowing.

Now lets see how the rivers & steams handle all this.

Archived