Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - February 2016

MAG5035

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z EURO has a moderate-heavy snowstorm around D8-9. Has ensemble support.

12z EURO has a moderate-heavy snowstorm around D8-9. Has ensemble support.

(sorry about the double quote)

The next event on the horizon centering on the 25th, has support from the Bering Sea Rule and the East Asia Rule. Teleconnections, esp PNA and an majority of ensemble members  - to boot, it is not a complex set up - models should handle well.

What's not to like? (pushes all chips to the center of the table)

(sorry about the double quote)

The next event on the horizon centering on the 25th, has support from the Bering Sea Rule and the East Asia Rule. Teleconnections, esp PNA and an majority of ensemble members  - to boot, it is not a complex set up - models should handle well.

What's not to like? (pushes all chips to the center of the table)

For us north and west, the trend that has been in play for several winters. :lol:

Thinking about this on the way home from work...my day started at 5am by sliding down my driveway to the car. Turned the car on, ran the defroster on high. Still spent over 15 minutes chipping away at the glacier that had encased the entire thing. Drove about 5mph out of my development through the deepest ice I can recall seeing on any road.

Left work 11 hours later and it was bright, sunny, and in the 40s. Snow has now largely disappeared. 

Today might have been one of the top 10 "turnaround" days I can recall in my life. From dangerous ice to a brilliant late afternoon...hard to believe it was the same day. 

Ran out of hours and couldn't turn the trip. I parked for the night at the Petro in Scranton.

I think I drove through a bit of everything today. Heavy rain, freezing rain, sleet, a bit of snow, and high winds.

I hope the truck is comfortable. you have to show 10 hours of down time for each day, correct?

Must be frustrating being  so close...

I hope the truck is comfortable. you have to show 10 hours of down time for each day, correct?

Must be frustrating being so close...

Yup. I need 10 hours off duty before I can drive again, and yes, I'm about an hour from home so it's a bit frustrating. I used to be a long haul driver so I'm used to it though, and these things are pretty comfortable nowadays.

Yup. I need 10 hours off duty before I can drive again, and yes, I'm about an hour from home so it's a bit frustrating. I used to be a long haul driver so I'm used to it though, and these things are pretty comfortable nowadays.

Dumb question but are you allowed to have your wife or a friend come pick you up, leave your truck there, and go get again early tomorrow?

Is that today's 18z? It seems what I am looking scoots off the SE coast not a real factor for PA.

verbatim...

snow to pa turnpike at 174  1002 wcentral GA

snowing in most of pa at 178..mixing extreme SE

same at 186 w mixing to Lanc and ABE

192 cools and much of Pa still getting it...including SE pa except philly and burbs

198 eastern 1/2 light snow.  990mb low 50 miles east NE of Boston

gfs_asnow_us_34.png

Verbatim, the 0z GFS would give western areas a good snowfall. Southern and eastern areas would see some snow before mix and heavy rain.

The CMC totally suppresses the storm. However, it tries to push an overrunning event into the area Monday...but with the low passing north, I'd find it more likely to also be more mix/rain than snow.

Dumb question but are you allowed to have your wife or a friend come pick you up, leave your truck there, and go get again early tomorrow?

Not a dumb question, and yes, I could do that, but Scranton is an hour to an hour and a half from the house. Just a bit too far to do that, plus the wife would have had to run me up here to the truck for 2:00am so I could leave with it.

High progged to be 41 today, i'm already at 38. We look to have nice spring weather through the weekend anyhow probably the only snow we'll have left will be the piles the plows pushed. Saturday looks to be close to 60 and i'm ok with that. Next weeks event has been showing up, R-ville has been chirping about it for at least a week. It'll be fun to watch this one unfold. I'll take that Euro above for $20 please.

looking at the overnight runs....I'm quite happy to see all of the potential storms.  What i didnt see was a nice supply of cold.  Wed storm surely can manufacture its own cold, but hopefully we'll see a 1036H over NY state in the coming days.  if not...CPA will cash in while LSV cries in milk (best analogy for sloppy/liquid white stuff).

Nut

High progged to be 41 today, i'm already at 38. We look to have nice spring weather through the weekend anyhow probably the only snow we'll have left will be the piles the plows pushed. Saturday looks to be close to 60 and i'm ok with that. Next weeks event has been showing up, R-ville has been chirping about it for at least a week. It'll be fun to watch this one unfold. I'll take that Euro above for $20 please.

Euro has had the threat for a few days now so its nice to see some other models starting to notice (even the DGEX has something :lmao: lol).  6z GFS has different high placement and development of the low than the Euro but verbatim gives LSV about an inch of rain on Tuesday then 1-2 feet of snow Wednesday into Thursday lol!

Euro has had the threat for a few days now so its nice to see some other models starting to notice (even the DGEX has something :lmao: lol).  6z GFS has different high placement and development of the low than the Euro but verbatim gives LSV about an inch of rain on Tuesday then 1-2 feet of snow Wednesday into Thursday lol!

well if the DGEX says it, then book it Dano

Euro has had the threat for a few days now so its nice to see some other models starting to notice (even the DGEX has something :lmao: lol). 6z GFS has different high placement and development of the low than the Euro but verbatim gives LSV about an inch of rain on Tuesday then 1-2 feet of snow Wednesday into Thursday lol!

Im in! Thanks for the update

Backing up a moment to the Monday/Tuesday storm, I predicted late Sunday that more than 50% of the total liquid from the storm would be from melted frozen and freezing precipitation.  Well, I only just barely lost.  The total liquid from the storm was 1.87".  The total precip that fell before the temperature rose above 32.0 degrees was 0.88", and the total rainfall that came after the temp rose above freezing was 0.99".  So, I only missed my prediction by 0.11".  Not too bad, huh?

One other interesting thing was that all 0.99" of rain fell with the temperature remaining below 34.0 degrees.  So, my prediction of the CAD lasting much longer (at least for my area and on down the 81 corridor) was correct.  The moment that the rain ended is when my temperature began to rise steadily, reaching an afternoon high of 43.  By mid afternoon there was no evidence left that we had ever had an ice storm.  Pretty wild day as others alluded to.

Archived