Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - February 2016

MAG5035

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am absolutely shocked that CTP hasn't upped ice totals and changed us all to an ice storm warning, or at least a freezing rain advisory. They'll probably do it at 2 AM when everyone's asleep.

Heavy duty accumulations are supposed to occur around 11-2am so they're kinda a bad place right now

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Bit of a lull here right now but roads are already a nightmare after ~1" of fluff so far. Thoughts on the rest of the storm out this way Jmister?

It looks like cold air will hold later than expected throughout the whole region. The precip will be scattered until closer to 2-3am and there will be patches of sleet and freezing rain. I think wherever those heavier patches hit could see significant icing (>0.25"). As the heavy precip moves in, temperatures will rise above freezing. Probably near daybreak in the UNV area. 

I'm keeping a close eye on temperatures using wunderground's Wundermap

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

post-1406-0-00707100-1455586234_thumb.pn

As of 9:00pm my snowfall has ended as a mixture of sleet and light freezing rain has begun.  Just before the sleet started I took my snowfall measurement which came out to 1.7".  It melted down to 0.20" of liquid.  There was obviously some sleet and zr that made its way in before I melted.  I know the ratio of the pure snow had to be at least 10:1.

Now the real fun begins.  Temp, after bottoming out at 20.9 is beginning to slowly rise and is back up to 22.4.  We've still got 10 more degrees to go before it's no longer freezing rain.  I'll be watching carefully and will make a note of the total liquid at the moment the temp hits 32.0 degrees, which as I said earlier I do not feel will occur until well after dawn.  NWS says between 2 and 3am for me.  I say they're wrong by at least 4 hours.  Let's see what happens.

Archived