• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - February 2016

MAG5035

Backing up a moment to the Monday/Tuesday storm, I predicted late Sunday that more than 50% of the total liquid from the storm would be from melted frozen and freezing precipitation.  Well, I only just barely lost.  The total liquid from the storm was 1.87".  The total precip that fell before the temperature rose above 32.0 degrees was 0.88", and the total rainfall that came after the temp rose above freezing was 0.99".  So, I only missed my prediction by 0.11".  Not too bad, huh?

One other interesting thing was that all 0.99" of rain fell with the temperature remaining below 34.0 degrees.  So, my prediction of the CAD lasting much longer (at least for my area and on down the 81 corridor) was correct.  The moment that the rain ended is when my temperature began to rise steadily, reaching an afternoon high of 43.  By mid afternoon there was no evidence left that we had ever had an ice storm.  Pretty wild day as others alluded to.

I think that this would be considered "tribal knowledge"--local knowledge that you get with experience in an area. Obviously you spent enough time in the area to know some of the "norms" that you were able to apply to your forecast. Call it Gut instinct, WAG or something else but that is what people like DT, JB and others don't have.

they bring all kinds of head knowledge into a forecast but miss the local factors.

Good Job!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As we have seen, the Euro is great at getting mid term trends. it is good at  near term forecasting. I would like to see everything a bit to the south and east at this point and then watch the models move in to the west.  I would bet that this one moves and gets lost before the short term forecasting.

00Z EC AND GEFS ARE IN FAIRLY GOOD AGREEMENT WITH SHARP
AMPLIFICATION OF THE UPPER AIR FLOW ACROSS THE CONUS DURING THE
EARLY TO MIDWEEK PERIOD NEXT WEEK.

HIGH AMPLITUDE RIDGE ACROSS IDAHO AND THE REST OF THE
INTERMOUNTAIN WEST IS THE IDEAL LOCATION FOR DOWNSTREAM ENERGY TO
DIG INTO THE BASE OF AN EASTERN U.S. TROUGH AND TRIGGER COASTAL
LOW DEVELOPMENT AND STRENGTHENING.

OPERATIONAL EC AND GEFS BOTH SHOW SFC CYCLOGENESIS OVER THE NRN
GOMEX TUESDAY...THEN A GENERAL TRACK AND DEEPENING OF A SFC LOW NE
ALONG THE CAROLINA AND MID ATLANTIC COAST BY WED NIGHT. PLAN TO
INCREASE POPS FOR THE TUESDAY-WED NIGHT PERIOD WITH THE NEXT...12Z
GRIDDED DATA/ZONE PACKAGE.

This is a storm coming up from the south, which is the type of storm that the Euro will lead the way. The EPS ensemble mean at 12z had a 5-6 inch average across all of CTP. I just went through all of the 50 ensemble members for the period of the storm. 30 of the members had at least 3 inches or more. Out of these 30 members, 10 had around 3 inches, 10 had 6 inches or more, and 10 had around 12 inches or more.

from a quick look - 0z Euro has low track from Alabama and come north through Apps with a late and jump to coast when further north to around DelMaRVa allowing southeast PA to be warmer than 12z run but ensemble mean and a number of members support a more southern and favorable transition to coast.

Archived