joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - February 2016

MAG5035

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DT has a Outlook map out for the mid week event. For those of us south of roughly I-80,

He has it starting as snow changing to rain and then possibly back to snow. He mentions several inches possible for those along the I-81 corridor.

For those roughly north of I-80, he has all snow.

The models have been absolutely all over the place on this event for the last several days. We are still 5 days out. Lots of time for changes.

Remember when Eskimo Joe bailed on the Blizzard last month when we were 4 days out?

For I-95, this is probably over, but those of us along I-81, and north & west, I think we have a chance at a few inches.

I just watched a video from yesterday afternoon made by one of Accuweather's best Bernie Rayno. He thinks the storm next week will focus on the second piece of energy & will bring a storm up the coast that will track inland up near I-95.

He said he thinks this is snow for I -81 on west.

He said specifically that he thinks this is snow for Harrisburg & back to the north/west.

He goes in depth with his reasons, the video is worth a watch.

Sunny...scintillating...spectacular...61 degrees.

The crack of the bats have started. O's baseball tickets are ordered. High school season starts in less than a month. My son will be playing from now through October. 

It sure feels like spring 2016 is here. But...winter will probably still deal us a few cruel reminders going forward...

I'm to the point where I don't want to see any blocking at all. I hate March snow. I'd have rather had winter lock in back in December and be done by March. By March I'm definitely in spring mode, wanting to see things green back up, not get snowed on.

March snows don't bother me too much because they melt within a day or two most often.

I'd rather have March snow than October snow - but I love snow anytime we get it. :)

This winter has quietly been becoming one that has been plagued by cutters.. as our midweek storm now appears poised to do such things after looking like our next winter storm a few days ago. MJO currently traversing phase 7 supports the cutter over coastal with western ridge axis just a bit too far west and no real downstream blocking. Looks fairly cold afterwards and models suggesting a reinforcing frontal passage arctic air shot next weekend currently, which could be our next widespread snow threat of any consequence. GFS especially suggesting that, with the Euro having a good bit less of a drive south with arctic air. 

Closing in on the worst winter in the 20 years I've lived here.

Can't remember a season without even a single clipper snowfall up this way... but that's just how it's been this year :(

I know the departures are even worse up around Williamsport towards New England... just not a good year for the east in general.

it was a good weekend to be away...as I'da just wasted hours searching for virtual snow...

It's been a real tough winter for sure, as every time we started to see some hope....phoooff....away she goes.  For those that dont like the snow and cold....congrats....you wished it away quite well.

Guess we have to have to endure bad times to enjoy/appreciate the good ones.  Sound like some blocking is trying to get established, but talking 8-9 day stuff is getting old...  Not saying they cant happen, but our window is almost closed.  

I hope we can pull this late Feb/Early March rabbit out of the snow hat...

Nut

it was a good weekend to be away...as I'da just wasted hours searching for virtual snow...

It's been a real tough winter for sure, as every time we started to see some hope....phoooff....away she goes. For those that dont like the snow and cold....congrats....you wished it away quite well.

Guess we have to have to endure bad times to enjoy/appreciate the good ones. Sound like some blocking is trying to get established, but talking 8-9 day stuff is getting old... Not saying they cant happen, but our window is almost closed.

I hope we can pull this late Feb/Early March rabbit out of the snow hat...

Nut

How much snow did you get from the 23-24 January storm?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

How much snow did you get from the 23-24 January storm?

27".  

If your implying that we did well down here...3 snow events is no "winner" to me.  You've had more days of snow than I have (and typically do because of lake effect - and your local).  Truth be told...I'd trade spots in a heartbeat, despite the LSV cashing in over the last few years.  As stated the other week, we are typically watching everyone else snow down here.  And those that know me know I'm not a IMBY kinda guy.  I like the whole region getting in on the goods...and my posting style typically reflects that.  

IMO, this year we all were just losers to varying degrees.  

Nut

27".

If your implying that we did well down here...3 snow events is no "winner" to me. You've had more days of snow than I have (and typically do because of lake effect - and your local). Truth be told...I'd trade spots in a heartbeat, despite the LSV cashing in over the last few years. As stated the other week, we are typically watching everyone else snow down here. And those that know me know I'm not a IMBY kinda guy. I like the whole region getting in on the goods...and my posting style typically reflects that.

IMO, this year we all were just losers to varying degrees.

Nut

Well everyone has different metrics for evaluating a particular winter. I definitely prefer a few larger storms to a greater number of smaller storms. I have only experienced a couple 20+" snowstorms (and none since 2003) so witnessing anything of that magnitude would be pretty amazing in my opinion.

Well everyone has different metrics for evaluating a particular winter. I definitely prefer a few larger storms to a greater number of smaller storms. I have only experienced a couple 20+" snowstorms (and none since 2003) so witnessing anything of that magnitude would be pretty amazing in my opinion.

I have to agree with you to at least some extent. While we've had very few snow events, I refuse to complain about a winter that delivered over my seasonal average...it just doesn't make sense. Considering how folks to my north did, and how much they should get...36" is pretty darn good. Even if 80%+ came at once. 

Archived