joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - February 2016

MAG5035

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was actually out in the community of White Horse, PA last November.  We went out there to purchase a shed at Sheds Unlimited.  The company is well known for the quality sheds that they build.  Their location had to have been within a mile of the tornado track.  White Horse is an Amish community and is very picturesque and is comprised of old farm homes. 

NWS has now confirmed that it was an EF 2 tornado that hit that community last night. 

In 48 hours we went from snow to severe storms and tornadoes and now back to snow. Can it get any crazier than THIS winter???

NWS State College described a damage path of up to 400 yds wide.  That translates to a width of between 1/4 and 1/3 of a mile wide.  Can you imagine something that big in this state in February?  It's a miracle no one was killed or injured.  That is an Amish community so I hope at least some of the folks there had cell phones or weather radios so they could receive the Tornado Warning.  I am thinking that they did. 

In my travels from Bucknell to Sunbury then down to visit a sick relative in Pottsville...it snowed the entire afternoon and until I left Pottsville at 7:00.  Basicially stopped once over the mountain to Meyerstown.  Nice little backside action (although bittersweet).

Nut

I despise the new NOAA/weather.gov website.

Where do you guys go for your forecasts? I like Wunderground but it's impossible on mobile sites to have it pull real data instead of personal weather stations that IMO are very often screwy.

Im fairly sure if you set your profile on their website to use NWS forecasts and then log in on your mobile it syncs that

Things are looking better for snow chances for later this week in Central PA. The 12 z Euro Operational for the first system mid week brought a couple of inches to the I -80 corridor & north.

Then, the second system tracks further south & brings a good swath of snow to just about all of us. The Harrisburg area gets 5 inches, & those further north get a few more inches.

Dang that was some wind.

It seems we've basically moved on from winter and into the early spring portion. No snow chances I can see in the long range models that look favorable and temps will be very moderate the next week or so (Thursday will be cool but bounce back for the weekend).

Was hoping the 2nd week of March would produce but the Nino looks like it's maintaining its strength and the AO isn't going to get negative.

Dang that was some wind.

It seems we've basically moved on from winter and into the early spring portion. No snow chances I can see in the long range models that look favorable and temps will be very moderate the next week or so (Thursday will be cool but bounce back for the weekend).

Was hoping the 2nd week of March would produce but the Nino looks like it's maintaining its strength and the AO isn't going to get negative.

Nino is weakening although slowly and AO forecasts are not reliable after a week or so. The big negaitve is that by your way aver age temps I believe are in the mid forties in early March.

Archived