joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - February 2016

MAG5035

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well since I'm a different breed.....sounds like the Para was reading this thread and wants to tease at 240 with a monster Miller A coming up.   :whistle:

I hope all of you get your 20" (even if I only get 2").  I will concur that this years blizz being a long duration event was my top storm to follow since I've been doing this (I did mention that some time ago....in my defense :).

Nut

Was looking at AVP's stats the other day for the winter, beginning 1 December. This best sums up this winter full of s***:

Inches of snow: 12 (generously...11.9")

Days of highs 50+: 25 (17 in December alone)

So yeah. We've had twice as many 50+ degree days as we've had inches of snow. The month of December alone totals up more 50+ days than inches of snow for the whole winter.

When was the last time that happened, especially around here?

I've had the fortune of getting 5, 20"+ events. 1983, 1996, 2003, 2010, and this year. I've also had 18" in 1978, 2009, and 2010. So 8 different storms totaling at least a foot and a half. I live in a go big or go home area for sure...because Alberta Clippers are very unkind to Lancaster county in general. 

i get all warm and fuzzy thinking about all those storms. But add one more for the 20" club, March 1993. 

I love where i live :)

Dew points this morning in Harrisburg are in the low 20's. Surface temps are in the mid 30's & we are on the western edge if precip shield.

Flurries have just started to fly here.

Maybe we get a few hours of light snow?

Snowing in Harrisburg now.

I "only" had 17" in '93. Of course, that 17" was surrounded by about a half foot of sleet. 

i kept my weather notes on my work day planner back then and i didn't keep as much or maybe as accurate info, my notes say 21.5"

after paneling through the 12z GFS.....

I'm looking for a toaster....or a ledge......

cruel cruel winter.... :cry:

Hoping for change, but wash rinse repeat is all I'm seeing.  I'm hearing the talk of NAO heading - but not sure it'll happen before climo window is all but closed.  Sure hope I'm wrong, but this NINO on roids is just too much for seasonal tendencies to overcome IMO.

Nut

Hoping for change, but wash rinse repeat is all I'm seeing.  I'm hearing the talk of NAO heading - but not sure it'll happen before climo window is all but closed.  Sure hope I'm wrong, but this NINO on roids is just too much for seasonal tendencies to overcome IMO.

Nut

Only seven more months, and it will be Fall.

Nut

The 1/23 storm is the only thing that separates the LSV and south central between seasonal to slightly above average snowfall and a historically bad winter to date. You take that one storm away and it has just been one of those winters where things haven't been working out. Cold air hasn't really had much staying power and predicted cold snaps have moderated whenever it got closer in range. Even the significant arctic shot from two weekends ago wasn't as cold in PA in the end and it was moved right out and allowed for the snow-ice-rain storm (although it was a heroic CAD effort).

It's a major difference from the last two winters.. where cold air was established in the east and any warmth was either thwarted completely or muted significantly. This winter, warm air has easily overwhelmed the region (case in point this past weekend). Storm-wise the northern stream has been killing us this winter, the storm track has been too far north with clippers and systems that dig down enough to tap southern moisture have largely been cutters. We could still line something up in March potentially, but as far as meteorological winter (DJF)... this is going to be one remembered for being predominantly mild with one really huge Mid-Atlantic snowstorm in the middle. 

Snowing in Harrisburg now.

i kept my weather notes on my work day planner back then and i didn't keep as much or maybe as accurate info, my notes say 21.5"

I'm sure your record is accurate. Superstorm '93 produced about a foot in Philly and amounts steadily increased north and west of there. If I recall, I think Chambersburg ending up with over 30" from that storm? 

The 1/23 storm is the only thing that separates the LSV and south central between seasonal to slightly above average snowfall and a historically bad winter to date. You take that one storm away and it has just been one of those winters where things haven't been working out. Cold air hasn't really had much staying power and predicted cold snaps have moderated whenever it got closer in range. Even the significant arctic shot from two weekends ago wasn't as cold in PA in the end and it was moved right out and allowed for the snow-ice-rain storm (although it was a heroic CAD effort).

It's a major difference from the last two winters.. where cold air was established in the east and any warmth was either thwarted completely or muted significantly. This winter, warm air has easily overwhelmed the region (case in point this past weekend). Storm-wise the northern stream has been killing us this winter, the storm track has been too far north with clippers and systems that dig down enough to tap southern moisture have largely been cutters. We could still line something up in March potentially, but as far as meteorological winter (DJF)... this is going to be one remembered for being predominantly mild with one really huge Mid-Atlantic snowstorm in the middle. 

I'm glad you understand my perspective.  While I cant take away the blizz of 2016...the only takeaway for the winter....was the blizz of 2016.  it was great, but it was 1 storm with lots of nothing in between.  Some are fine w/ one doozy....not me.  i'd take 6-4" events ten fold as that makes it feel like winter.  JMO's.

Nut

Archived