Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - February 2016

MAG5035

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still mainly sleet here, in a lull attm so have snow grains flying around and maybe a touch of ZR. I guess the more frozen the better. Temps are still lurking around 23ºF. 

Kinda surprised CTP didn't upgrade another tier or two of central counties to WSW for ice as I just don't see things getting scoured out at the surface anytime soon. I definitely understand the tenacity of cold air damming in central PA with retreating arctic air masses but I would have never expected such a strong CAD signature at the surface with the arctic high well east out of position. Surface 32ºF line still dips into the NW tip of South Carolina with a healthy majority of MD and VA below freezing. You can also note on the mesoanalysis map that the wind barbs denote no real wind of significance.. there's no noteworthy push of southerly or SE winds at the surface. Different story at 925 and 850 as warm advection is occurring about as anticipated at those levels. That's the thing, timing of p-type changeover was on schedule this evening in the area.. but the surface temps were several degrees below where they were supposed to be.. and that's gonna be a problem. 

Still a solid core of below freezing 925 temps in the central counties, which should imply that sleet will continue to be a factor for awhile yet. 

Surface

post-1507-0-73076200-1455601258_thumb.pn

925mb

post-1507-0-69688900-1455601251_thumb.pn

They did mention about considering expanding warnings north by 2-3 tiers of counties in their last discussion update an hour or two ago for pretty much the reasons I mentioned in my earlier post around 1230 this morning. I feel that would be a good move for our region with the bulk of precip beginning to push into the central counties and temps still mainly in the 20s.  

Still sitting at 30 as if 430. Light ZR ongoing and it's officially unsafe to walk out my door of apartment. Wonder how long this will hold on for. I'm guessing sunrise will start to poke everyone above freezing below the Mason Dixon. You guys in the valley may be until late morning, so stay safe.

Voyager, definitely take it easy on your trip. This is a pretty ugly situation up and down 81. Hope everything goes alright. God speed

Stay safe, Voyager.  On the lighter side, the dogs were pretty hilarious on the ice this morning - they decided that they liked the crunch.  I am sure that campus physical plant cleaned off the snow before the ice came - not looking forward to trying to get to class. At least there's a break in the action here.

35 and rain. Gotta love it. :/

No state delay which seems like a big mistake. My street is solid ice still.

2/16/16: 2 hour delay for Capitol Complex, Hbg area and Scranton, Reading and Phila Office Buildings Non-essential employees under the Governor's jurisdiction who work in the Capitol Complex and Harrisburg Area, Scranton State Office Building, Reading State Office Building and Philadelphia Office Buildings are authorized a two hour delay to their regularly starting work schedule today, February 16, 2016. This delay, and any field office delays or closings, are subject to the provisions of Management Directive 530.17, Partial and Full-Day Closings of State Offices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well...it' a complete disaster outside this morning.  All cars, sidewalks, everything is a sheet of ice, and it's pouring rain out there to boot.  My temperature officially reached 32.1 degrees at 7:20am.  At that point I mesaured my rain gauge and measured 0.68" of liquid.  That's what fell mainly as freeing rain and some sleet after the snowfall ended last evening around 9:00pm.  So, my total liquid of all frozen and freezing precipitation for the event up until 7:20am was 0.88".  Now we'll see just how much more falls as pure rain.  Looking at the radar the deluge is going to continue for a while.

I'm not going into work today.  Too dangerous and too much ice.  We'll see how much warmer it gets before the rainfall starts to taper off.  It's been one hour since I cracked freezing, and temp now is only up to 33.4.  Also, just checked rain gauge and have had 0.20" of rain in the past hour.

Pretty interesting ride into work this morning at 5. the main roads weren't to bad, side streets and our parking lot not so much. At 5 we still had light rain and i showed 30 degrees, at 6 it was 31 and then when the heavier rain moved in, the temps rose quickly. With so many people calling off or late, left all the snow/ice removal on me. I'm soaked and in need of a shot of something. 

Good call from those of you (days ago) said no way was the cold leaving so soon. 

All in all i think we dodged a bullet and could have been much, much worse. A nice little event to track and watch unfold.

46 here in Lancaster.  Etown definately held cold longer then Akron.  Still nice ice covering everything here.  Natsomuch at home.  Just slop.

2/24-25 still looks tasty as per overnight runs...

We track....

N...........E........X...T !!!

I love my snow goggles!!

Nut

Archived