• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Ian

I'm still on the fringe. Probably moderate snow. I'll be orgasmic when I get S+ and it stays for 3 or 4 hours. I'm not in the yellow, they are still to my west. I've pretty much been screwed all day until now and I still feel screwed until the band pushes east a bit.

Not in the yellows here either, but I haven't seen snow like this since I was 13 in Steamboat Springs during a New Years blizzard.

I'll do everything I can to send this beating your way!!! :) :) :)

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We may be able to outdo Feb. 10 2010 today but I don't think there will be anyway to confirm.

yea between the drifting and compaction I have no idea how to get an accurate measure but it was 24" when I used the snowblower because it was at it above the 2 foot rim more often then not. We've had at least 8-10" since then

Deformation ftw!! Back in /'92 (I think) I was in Cazenovia NY (15 mi. east of SYR) and saw the heaviest rates ever (even compared to some of my LES chases)...no lie...10"/hr.!! Every molecule of moisture turns into big dendrites....the forcing mechanism is only surpassed by a 10,000' orographic mountain...

Went to Syr from 03-07 and did a ton of Lake Effect chasing up through Oswego/Jeff Counties (chased Oswego/Fulton event in 04' and Parish event in 07' for example). The snow in Dupont Circle was as intense as the Arctic Fronts that sometimes hit the Syracuse Campus and comparable to some of the better lake snow events i've chased. 

Archived