• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    DanVarner1
    Newest Member
    DanVarner1
Ian

Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting

Good call Matt. I would think at this point that 20+ is about a good a lock as I've ever seen. Hopefully they can measure properly. It's going to be tough. 

27/light snow/trace/roads instantly caving. 

Looks like fine, tiny snowflakes on EarthCam.

Dendritic snow growth zone is pretty small for the time being above KIAD via 06z SPC soundings (segment highlighted in blue). It's also above the cloud layer too so that doesn't help creating larger snowflakes lol (keep in mind this sounding was launched a while ago). Regardless, it'll improve quickly as heavier echoes role on in from the south.

DSG zone increased from a depth of 3000 feet at 06z to 5500 feet at 12z. It's neat watching this evolve!

28 degrees with light snow. Some roads are white. Lawns beginning to get white. Flurries began at 1245pm. We have a refreshing northerly breeze, gusting to 15 mph at times.

Richmond (VCU) has been alternating back and forth between heavy snow with large flakes to light snow with flakes the size of dust particles. I wonder if we'll see any consistently heavy stuff for an extended period?

Steady light snow in Silver Spring (Colesville Rd. @ the Beltway). Seems powdery right now. Roads are starting to get coated and there are still WAY TOO MANY people driving around.

Roads still looking wet but all other surfaces have at least a thin dusting by now in Silver Spring. Looks like 1/8"-1/4" of new snow on the back deck railings. Still pretty light rates of course... I don't have a good vis reference here but it's "light snow" at the most.