Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting

Ian

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thrilled to have made it back!

To be fair, it wasn't as much a choice as it was the willingness of others to release me. I was the second to change my flight - about 25 others (even naysayers) followed suit shortly thereafter! :lol:

They owe you some thanks and a bottle of wine each for pushing the issue and setting the stage for getting them back in time too...

That's not snow on the radar. It isn't supposed to be snowing there yet that's why it isn't, it's still to your SW.

Well, if the reflections to our east, NW and N are virga then ... I'm reporting that there's not even virga over us in that snow-hole.(and no flakes at the instant that I'm writing this line.

post-397-0-97128900-1453485336_thumb.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0051  NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   1134 AM CST FRI JAN 22 2016   AREAS AFFECTED...ERN WV...WV PANHANDLE...NRN VA...AND MOST OF MD   CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW    VALID 221734Z - 222230Z   SUMMARY...HEAVY SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING THE NEXT HOUR OR   TWO WITH SNOWFALL RATES IN EXCESS OF 1 INCH PER HOUR. THESE HEAVY   SNOWFALL RATES WILL LIKELY PERSIST THROUGH THE EVENING.   DISCUSSION...REGIONAL SURFACE OBSERVATIONS INDICATE MUCH OF ERN   WV...NRN VA...AND MD HAS REMAINED MOSTLY PRECIPITATION FREE OVER THE   PAST SEVERAL HOURS. SEVERAL OF THE MOST RECENT OBSERVATIONS HAVE   REPORTED A QUICK TRANSITION FROM NO PRECIPITATION TO HEAVY   SNOWFALL...INCLUDING EKN IN ERN WV AND SHD...CHO...AND OMH IN NWRN   VA. GIVEN PRECIPITATION FREE REGION TO THE SW OF THE MD AREA IS NOT   EXPECTED TO PERSIST NEWD...THIS TYPE OF QUICK TRANSITION FROM NO   PRECIPITATION TO HEAVY SNOW IS EXPECTED ACROSS THE REMAINDER OF THE   MD AREA DURING THE NEXT HOUR OR TWO. SNOWFALL RATES OVER 1 INCH PER   HOUR ARE LIKELY WITH ISOLATED AREAS WITH RATES OF 2 INCHES PER HOUR.   CONSTANT...AND LIKELY STRENGTHENING...LIFT WILL FAVOR THE   PERSISTENCE OF THE HEAVY SNOWFALL THROUGH AT LEAST THIS EVENING.   ..MOSIER.. 01/22/2016   ATTN...WFO...PHI...AKQ...LWX...PBZ...RLX...

Archived