I sense people are going to get NAM'd

ETA: Hot off the presses.

..WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH
SUNDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING INTO SUNDAY
MORNING.

* LOCATIONS...SOUTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA...SOUTHERN NEW
JERSEY...DELAWARE...AND MARYLAND`S UPPER EASTERN SHORE.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 12 TO 16 INCHES IN THE
VICINITY OF THE I-95 CORRIDOR...8 TO 12 INCHES OVER THE NORTHERN
SUBURBS OF PHILADELPHIA...CENTRAL NEW JERSEY...AND CENTRAL
DELMARVA. LESSER AMOUNTS OF 2 TO 4 INCHES ARE EXPECTED OVER
SOUTHERN PORTIONS OF THE DELMARVA WHERE A CHANGEOVER TO RAIN IS
EXPECTED DURING THE EVENT.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main thread is using January 1996 as the primary analogy.  I wasn't living here then but was dealing with a bunch of people here for work and my recollection is the city was crippled for like a week  Although, I seem to remember a shutdown right about the same time so I might be conflating them.  Anyone remember how long the after effect was in 1996?  

I told the people in my office that thought we'd get an inch that I expected 18-24. They were floored.

It's baffling how fickle people can be.... they'll think some wacky Euro control run 10 days away means there's a blizzard on the way, while at other times when an actual blizzard is bearing down, they are totally shocked

The main thread is using January 1996 as the primary analogy.  I wasn't living here then but was dealing with a bunch of people here for work and my recollection is the city was crippled for like a week  Although, I seem to remember a shutdown right about the same time so I might be conflating them.  Anyone remember how long the after effect was in 1996?  

Yes.. how much detail do you want? I can go on for pages. LOL

The short of it: Crippled for a week. The blizzard shutdown was coming off a government shutdown. Feds closed Monday Tuesday Wednesday from the blizzard and clipper. Opened Thursday. Had to close Friday because of the third event. People panicked when the ETA showed 12"+ for the third event. (The clipper on Tuesday sent road crews back to primary roads as the city picked up more than 3".)

Yes.. how much detail do you want? I can go on for pages. LOL

The short of it: Crippled for a week. The blizzard shutdown was coming off a government shutdown. Feds closed Monday Tuesday Wednesday from the blizzard and clipper. Opened Thursday. Had to close Friday because of the third event. People panicked when the ETA showed 12"+ for the third event. (The clipper on Tuesday sent road crews back to primary roads as the city picked up more than 3".)

Thanks.  The storm hit Monday or over the weekend? 

I've never experienced more than 18 inches at a clip.  The 2010 winter we got like 2 12-18 inch storms at a clip and I remember the volume of snow being bad, but in the end life got back to normal in a couple days because it was only a foot or so.  I'm curious how bad things will be next week, especially given that I probably have to drive to SNE mid-week for a funeral.  

I missed the 2003 event.  Was on a business trip and when I got back on Wednesday it was still a mess.  

Wonder if DCA pulls a super high measurement this time...I mean they did report like 0.3 the other day. 

Its weird, because I live in Arlington and am about 300 ft higher than DCA and consistently get 2-6" more snow than them in the biggies, yet I did not see snow accumulating - even on mulchy places the other day. 

Its weird, because I live in Arlington and am about 300 ft higher than DCA and consistently get 2-6" more snow than them in the biggies, yet I did not see snow accumulating - even on mulchy places the other day. 

Maybe they will inflate their totals by 2 times from now on. They may report 50 inches with this one ;)

Thanks.  The storm hit Monday or over the weekend? 

I've never experienced more than 18 inches at a clip.  The 2010 winter we got like 2 12-18 inch storms at a clip and I remember the volume of snow being bad, but in the end life got back to normal in a couple days because it was only a foot or so.  I'm curious how bad things will be next week, especially given that I probably have to drive to SNE mid-week for a funeral.  

I missed the 2003 event.  Was on a business trip and when I got back on Wednesday it was still a mess.  

We generally get back to normal quicker than in 1987 or 1996, but after the first storm in 2/2010, some neighborhoods never got plowed before the second one moved in two and a half days later. 

1/96 started Saturday night around 10 pm and ended Monday late morning. 

Archived