joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA OMG SNOW thread -- Winter 2016

neff

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, PIT suffers most in this run. LSV actually does better. Up here we're still right on the border, but the gradient is even sharper, so it's hard to tell if it's "better" or "worse" verbatim. Just north of UNV definitely does worse. It's also better for Wilkes Barre, I think.

have you ever seen a gradient like the NAM is showing verify?  I know back in '09-'10 there were some extreme gradients, but what the NAM is showing for this storm is hard to fathom. 

Yep, PIT suffers most in this run. LSV actually does better. Up here we're still right on the border, but the gradient is even sharper, so it's hard to tell if it's "better" or "worse" verbatim. Just north of UNV definitely does worse. It's also better for Wilkes Barre, I think.

The nw part of allegheny county gets an inch on the NAM..SE part gets 18 inches. Unreal.

Still don't like those warm waters lurking...definitely may see some sleet, but will deal with it if banding is as good as progged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes you have to smell the rain/sleet to get the heavy snow. I mixed in the blizzard of 96 and still got 2' on the dot. System will be juiced and mixing won't last all that long in all honesty. Not too much to worry about. 18" of wind swept snow is fun

Saw a post somewhere about this, but I can't find it now. Anyway, it's quite concerning to me that the Hi-Res NAM still refuses to get that banding anywhere near as far north as the operational does. Maybe we're just too far out for the Hi-Res, maybe it performs poorly at this range. Hopefully that's all it is.

The Nam is still the furthest north with that heavy of precip, correct 

From what I saw last evening...yep.  just an observation (with all of the models btw).  I expect a little more "feathering" of the NW quadrant qpf tonight.  Maybe not enough to make em happy...but I'd think to CPA I80 a few inches will fall.

JMO

Nut

I'd bet that we get a 1 color shift north today...then a tick back tomorrow.  My guess is this is where we will be w/ this storm.  Still hope you northern/western folk can grab onto this thing and pull it north some.  So close to so much potential for all of us. ITs been a long time since CTP has been in the bullseye.

Maybe next one.

Nut

I hope so too.

I am in Armstrong County and there is a HUGE difference within 25 miles of my south and east.

Saw a post somewhere about this, but I can't find it now. Anyway, it's quite concerning to me that the Hi-Res NAM still refuses to get that banding anywhere near as far north as the operational does. Maybe we're just too far out for the Hi-Res, maybe it performs poorly at this range. Hopefully that's all it is.

ptot60.gif

Yeah, I'm not sure what NAM you're talking about. The 12z actually looks better south of the turnpike than the 06z did. The cutoff up here is even sharper, though.

because people take one look at a 12 hour qpf map and see part of the precip in 30 miles south and go OMG its south.  Look at H5 and SLP first, get an idea whats really going on, WAIT for it to actually play out, then see if the qpf looks right because its usually the most finicky and least accurate thing for the models to predict.  A 20 mile shift in qpf from one run to the next on a particular frame is just noise.

because people take one look at a 12 hour qpf map and see part of the precip in 30 miles south and go OMG its south.  Look at H5 and SLP first, get an idea whats really going on, WAIT for it to actually play out, then see if the qpf looks right because its usually the most finicky and least accurate thing for the models to predict.  A 20 mile shift in qpf from one run to the next on a particular frame is just noise.

In this case, it was because he was looking at the output from yesterday's model at the wrong time.

Archived