joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA OMG SNOW thread -- Winter 2016

neff

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These clippers have been nice surprises. I have the same amount as you for tonight. Also had 6,3,4 for the other events recently

Wow that's not too bad, had 3.5" last Tuesday and a couple inchers and half inchers before tonight, so got about 8" for the season now. Now we just need to cash in at least half decently on this actual big time system and we'll be pretty well back on track with snowfall. 

Wow that's not too bad, had 3.5" last Tuesday and a couple inchers and half inchers before tonight, so got about 8" for the season now. Now we just need to cash in at least half decently on this actual big time system and we'll be pretty well back on track with snowfall. 

Before these clippers I had a dusting back in late November. So these systems helped out nicely. I'm always amazed by the downsloping effect when traveling to Altoona. So I have 11.5" for the season.  What are your thoughts for our immediate area for this storm? 

Euro low at 30 hours positioned about the same (Central MS) but deeper than 12z (1004 vs 1008)

36 hours: Same thing, low position and precip coverage similar but low is about 4mb deeper. (1000 vs 1004)

so it's not north?

This run looks like it is going to be more epic than 12z, vort is stronger, precip is more robust and its farther N

Precip shield to the Mason Dixon at 48hr, which is a bit further north of 60hr on the 12z run.

54hr - 0.1-0.25" in the far southern tier (below turnpike central, tapering to the Mason Dixon line east)

60hr - 0.1-0.25" southern tier from roughly the turnpike down, 0.25-0.50" in the far southern LSV 

It's looking pretty similar to the 12z with precip placement and amounts in PA. 

66 and 72 hours lingers precip shield in the LSV, from roughly MDT to ABE and south.. heavier snows near the Mason-Dixon. Precip pretty much out at 78hr. Yea looks similar to 12z Euro and very tight gradient.

it's a step down. Amounts greatly reduced along the Mason Dixon line. 12z got the 2" qpf half way into york county. This run it's well south of the pa line.

Mdt .6

Lns .9

Thv 1.4

Everything sunk south about 30 miles from 12z

Thanks for the additional info, I only have a basic 850 temps/precip/mslp map to look at the Euro as it comes in until AccuPro loads the whole thing after about 2am. 

Tough forecast above the mason-dixon and especially above the turnpike. 

Ok so the mets can jump in with thoughts on this but the run looked great through 60 hours. The slp actually was tucked in nice tracking over eastern nc right over Elizabeth city. Then at 66 it's tucked in right at the mouth of the Chesapeake bay. So far perfect track to at least get the southern 1/2 of pa. Then at 66 a second low forms due east about 100 miles under a convection plume and that pulls the whole thing due east. The euro actually tracks inside the gfs and ggem to that point then slingshots east. What are the chances that's a convective feedback error?

Ok so the mets can jump in with thoughts on this but the run looked great through 60 hours. The slp actually was tucked in nice tracking over eastern nc right over Elizabeth city. Then at 66 it's tucked in right at the mouth of the Chesapeake bay. So far perfect track to at least get the southern 1/2 of pa. Then at 66 a second low forms due east about 100 miles under a convection plume and that pulls the whole thing due east. The euro actually tracks inside the gfs and ggem to that point then slingshots east. What are the chances that's a convective feedback error?

because I know next to nothing about weather, I do know about feedback (guitar player) and connection issues (network admin). here are my thoughts: the fact that this storm was over sampled by additional launches. This increases the chances of bad data entering in the system.      

I'm not very keen on the nuances of convective feedback but considering how warm the Gulf Stream waters (and the Atlantic waters in general) are I could definitely consider that possibility with all the heat and moisture involved and the clash with the cold air plus the dynamic nature that this system has consistently been progged. The storm is likely destined to have surprises in different realms (i.e intense bands and localized excessive snowfall, places closer to the coast but still are otherwise expecting all snow ending up with some mixing due to the tremendous fetch being progged off the warm Atlantic, better (or worse) northern extent of the precip shield, etc. 

At least the good thing for the Mid-Atl region is regardless of whatever the differences/issues the models have had this week.. it hasn't mattered  for specifically the DC/interior VA/MD crowd as about the only question there has been which model out snows the other during any given run. I could only imagine the state of the threads if DC was in the center of the major gradient battle haha. 

Archived