12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January Med/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope you're kidding. It's the dgex and 120 hours away. No one knows exactly where the edge will be yet but certainly not the dgex

I do worry about suppression rearing its ugly head going forward, but not with the DGEX at any range . As long as Dr. No and the EPS are on board all is well!

I'm def not sold on the high teens and low 20's being spit out. I should have quantified it. What could keep this from being less than a 5-10" around the area? I have seen no warning shots today at all and we're getting close to lock in time for a big miller A event. They always have the longest leads in model land. Unlike miller b's where 2 hours after onset is still too early to trust models

Miller A is fine, as long as it tracks far enough west for Western MD and VA. Current modeled look is a Miller A-B hybrid like 1996 or 2010. That is ideal for the entire area.to get clobbered (accept the DCA snowhole of course). Hopefully it locks.

And the main event that started very late that Saturday night, as I recall, blew up quickly.  As in there were reports the snow just suddenly went BOOM sometime after 2AM.  I remember waking up early Sunday with about 6" on the ground, and being surprised it was already that deep at that point in time.  It was originally booked as pretty much a Sunday/Sunday night event, I think.

It did come in with a fury. I may be wrong but I think the first wave came through and as it sunk south it sort of morphed with the main precip. mass and the the whole thing starting to slowly move northward and over spread the region. 

The northward progression moved at a snails pace but once it reached you it was right into 1-2 inch per hour rates. Areas that weren't all that farther to the north had to wait for the snow to reach them.

I distinctly remember looking at the radar at 2 a.m. and we were covered in greens but it was still virga as the cold air took it's grip and temporarily dried things out. I fell asleep shortly after. when I awoke 4 hours later snowfall rates were intense and there might have been 5-6 inches already. Temps were approaching single digits.

Other than perhaps Feb. 5-6, 2010, I'm trying to recall the last time the major global models and their corresponding ensembles have been so bullish at this range.  That's what is so striking to me in a lot of ways.  Usually it's one or the other that's gung-ho, while the other is not so much.  Or the ensembles aren't supportive while the ops runs are, etc.  This is pretty universal agreement, all things considered.  Not saying it won't change going forward, but still.

18z gefs mean track is good. A bit nw of the eps through the SE but same result off of OBX. There is a small cluster of lows in KY. Overall quite supportive of everything else we've seen

The ones that push the primary into KY...do they re-develop off the coast too?  And are they at least reasonably decent?

Good to hear the mean track is very similar to overall guidance right now.

It did come in with a fury. I may be wrong but I think the first wave came through and as it sunk south it sort of morphed with the main precip. mass and the the whole thing starting to slowly move northward and over spread the region. 

The northward progression moved at a snails pace but once it reached you it was right into 1-2 inch per hour rates. Areas that weren't all that farther to the north had to wait for the snow to reach them.

I distinctly remember looking at the radar at 2 a.m. and we were covered in greens but it was still virga as the cold air took it's grip and temporarily dried things out. I fell asleep shortly after. when I awoke 4 hours later snowfall rates were intense and there might have been 5-6 inches already. Temps were approaching single digits.

Yep, that all sounds about right. I woke up early Sunday morning and I couldn't believe what I was seeing.... there had to be at least 7" OTG by 7am and it was coming down furiously.  

Other than perhaps Feb. 5-6, 2010, I'm trying to recall the last time the major global models and their corresponding ensembles have been so bullish at this range.  That's what is so striking to me in a lot of ways.  Usually it's one or the other that's gung-ho, while the other is not so much.  Or the ensembles aren't supportive while the ops runs are, etc.  This is pretty universal agreement, all things considered.  Not saying it won't change going forward, but still.

February 2007 looked amazing about 3-4 days out, like a potential MECS/HECS, then there was a nasty north shift. That's a good cautionary reminder for us not to get too sucked in 5 days out, even if all the models agree like they did back then.

18z gefs mean track is good. A bit nw of the eps through the SE but same result off of OBX. There is a small cluster of lows in KY. Overall quite supportive of everything else we've seen

Yup, good mean track, mean snowfall 8" at DC.  I counted 3 members with a primary track too far north and 3 members that are too progressive and take the low OTS.  I think the latter is something to keep an eye on as I believe only 1 member at 12z did that.    

post-3516-0-55274300-1453073080_thumb.pn

Archived