amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January Med/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't remember 96 specifically (I suppose I could look at the NARR), but if the storm stacks vertically in the ideal spot, it can just sit and fill and snow itself out over some lucky spot. 

Some of the early runs for Feb 5-6, 2010, showed some really long durations and I think it ended up pretty close to 24 hours of real snow. 

PD2 is Baltimore's record holder because I think BWI reported snow constantly for something ridiculous for like 3.5 days.  There was a weak little wave that produced an a little snow a couple days before the big event and then BWI somehow managed to constantly report --SN forever until PD2 hit. 

The first wave spread snow over the area starting late friday night around 11 or so. It snowed for about 10-12 hours and we picked up about 2-2.5 inches. The snow with the first part had a distinct shutoff. Since it was this wave that brought down the severe cold the snow with it shutoff from north to south. I think the snow lingered at least several more hours south of the beltway but even in those areas there should have been a clear shutoff that last 12 hours before the main precip. pushed back into the area. Then we had another period of snow very late monday into tuesday morning before everything cleared the area. not sure how they managed to report constant snow falling.

It started snowing here around 9 AM that Friday morning and didn't stop until early afternoon Saturday.  So, we got about 28 hours worth.  Unfortunately, it didn't begin accumulating here until near dusk.  We lost 8 hours worth of accumulations.  One of the things that really knocks that storm down on my list.  The first foot was also paste.  That storm had potential to be a 40" here, if it had only been a couple degrees colder.

Feb 5-6 I'm talking about.

On that storm...I recall hearing there were various briefings to state/fed/local officials, and a mention that the potential for upwards of 40" was indicated in some guidance.  It seemed ridiculous and like over-hyping an event that was already going to have a major impact.  But the thing is...there were a couple of actual reports of 38" in MD, just north of the metro DC area (not to mention IAD's 32").  And of course, widespread reports of 20-30"+.  So it wasn't, in the end, all that outlandish.

The first wave spread snow over the area starting late friday night around 11 or so. It snowed for about 10-12 hours and we picked up about 2-2.5 inches. The snow with the first part had a distinct shutoff. Since it was this wave that brought down the severe cold the snow with it shutoff from north to south. I think the snow lingered at least several more hours south of the beltway but even in those areas there should have been a clear shutoff that last 12 hours before the main precip. pushed back into the area. Then we had another period of snow very late monday into tuesday morning before everything cleared the area. not sure how they managed to report constant snow falling.

They didn't. I just checked and posted about the break up thread.

I guess I was mistaken about the constant snow per EastCoast NPZ.  I know they combined snow totals from the predecessor storm and PD2. 

And the main event that started very late that Saturday night, as I recall, blew up quickly.  As in there were reports the snow just suddenly went BOOM sometime after 2AM.  I remember waking up early Sunday with about 6" on the ground, and being surprised it was already that deep at that point in time.  It was originally booked as pretty much a Sunday/Sunday night event, I think.

I'm in Elkridge and they reported 38 inches of snow for the Feb 5-6 storm. I ended up with just over 100 inches that winter thanks to that storm.

Thank you...that's the location I was thinking about, but couldn't recall offhand.  I've got the snow reports saved in a document from LWX's site.  I think there was another place that was 38" too.

There was a lot of controversy over the final totals. I think it still is number 1 on list but I haven't checked recently. 

I always thought that "officially", they counted PD-II as the snow that fell Friday night and part of Saturday (which was pretty light where I was in the Capitol Hill neighborhood), the heavy amount that fell from very late Saturday night through Sunday night and into Monday morning, and then the "backlash" snow that fell Monday night.  I actually remember it clearing out some early Saturday evening, which I think actually enhanced it getting colder overnight.

Archived