Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Med/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think I mentioned Feb 1983...someone said no more like Feb 1976...DT must admit 1983 got me into tracking at 9 years old an amazing storm....good comparison on your part

I loved that storm. I remember the weak before, because we had asystem finally br Not some snow. Little did we know, that the big one was going to hit. I remember the day before being over at one of my neighbor's house hearing that heavy snow was falling over Virginia. Then when the heavy snow arrived, boy did did come down and in a hurry. Great event.

Just hope the models hold onto this big event as go into this week. Tired of seeing these events crumble. Let's hope this system has time to bomb off the East Coast, plus keeping that arctic air around. Maybe the mild weather pattern gets delayed or even canceled.. Maybe...

For you, not so great for me. 

we're borderline....it's all snow (with maybe a little sleet mix) for DCA....Who knows...we may end up having to deal with a dicey situation with this storm....I'm not really sweating this run, but I guess a variety of solutions possible...though wide right seems very unlikely

850 is pretty much straddling DC for a portion of the storm, which we normally do in the city so we should expect that, but we appear to stay all snow in DC but I haven't looked at soundings for the whole column.  Interesting look to the snow maps (yes, I know, they're snow maps so not the most reliable in setups where we straddle the mixing line).  

post-3516-0-15920600-1453047524_thumb.pn

H5 never closes off or gets past neutral when it counts. Ens guidance favors a closed ull. Gfs doesn't have the upper air support to bomb the low but it's still a great run.

yep. If you know "how to read the gfs" this was a good run. It has issues with how to handle the coastal transfer and development. Omg what else is new! But it has the setup and the waa thump snow. That's important because that's a higher prob bet then anything from the coastal later is bonus. Maybe we get hecs maybe just a thump to dry slot but either way that setup gets us off the mat for the season. Oh yea and it's 120 hours away so chill out with these meso scale fine details on each gfs run please!!!!

Looking at the zoomed in panels the para is crazy uniform. 15-18 for everybody in the burbs.

Garrett Co will be closed for a couple days with 3'

Total precip at dca is 2" and 15" of snow so the mixing is evident. My neck is 1.8 precip and 17" so the para is showing a classic big miller A with pretty standard mixing zones.

Para EPS looks great too

Few days ago most of us would kill for 3" of snow, so can't be greedy here 

I don't need a foot of snow.   I'm cool with half that at this point, let's be honest.

I want 12"+    we've had a bunch of 3-6" storms the last 2 winters....Total waste of time....

Yep. Can't caution people enough (esp near the cities and the lurkers who join during exciting times) to not set your expectations to the 00z runs or any of these op runs really. We have an eternity to go, and op support for a snowstorm this far out isn't worth much IMO. Things can change for better or worse on a dime.  

I'd say there's quite strong support for an event that causes snow in the broader region. But even at this range I wouldn't be shocked to see it change significantly.  Past that... I dunno. I'd favor N&W for now obviously.

GFS has a 1025 weak ass HP to the north and thats why temps are a bit of an issue.  If that gets a little bit better and just stays there temps will be ok

Yes. It was 1028 on the 6z run. It's along ways off to know what that HP is gonna be. That will be a huge factor on how good the front end thump is obviously.

Archived