• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January Med/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

Trust the ensembles. As nj2va said earlier, best eps run of thr year. Pretty tight slp track that basically crushes all of us. Mean snowfall for you is 9". Members look excellent and all other op guidance supports it now. Prepare to plow.

My question was tongue in cheek.....

I'm greasing the plow as we speak.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

given the GFS track record over the past weeks months year with east coast winter storms it is imperative that you do not marry the GFS - especially the OP RUNS no matter how great or crappy they are for your location

IMO they are worthless pass 72/ 84 hrs

lot of folks pm me or email "DT you see 12z GFS or 6z or 18z etc ? "

and My answer is alwasy the same

I dont give a **** what the GFS says when it comes to east coast winter storms past 84 hrs

I don't typically go with the cmc but it had a pretty plausable solution last night with the first low tracking up in to the Ohio valley and then transfer right around Virginia beach. With that scenario we get stay in the warm sector.

Yes any OP solution is "plausible" but look to its ensembles.   It didn't have the support of last night's GEPS, which the mean favored a Miller A track with a coastal off OBX heading ENE from there.  

We're really outside the range of all of the op models.  At this range, I'd estimate that the Euro is roughly 12 hours "ahead" of the GFS.  So the Euro at 168 156 hours is about as good as the GFS at 156, which is not very good.  The best thing to do at this range is to look at the ensembles, and then throw in the op runs as if they're ensemble members with extra weight.  That's why it's particulary encouraging that this threat has support from multiple ensembles and op runs.  As others have said, at this range it's the best look we've seen all season.  But everything should be taken with a grain of salt the cosmic Etch-a-Sketch that God uses to communicate His will.

There, fixed my own post after seeing last night's Euro run.  I'll just go with that until the 12z run, at which point I may reconsider again.

Wow to all of you who stayed up for the Euro run last night (and bonus points for those who stayed up for the EPS).  That was pretty impressive.

FWIW, the GEPS ticked snowier last night, but there are still a lot of rainy solutions for DC. 

7yHnEjo.png

ETA:  Fewer big hits on the GEPS last night, but I'm not sure how much that matters at this point.  There are still a lot of members east of the op / control.

UAa5TRi.gif

There, fixed my own post after seeing last night's Euro run. I'll just go with that until the 12z run, at which point I may reconsider again.

Wow to all of you who stayed up for the Euro run last night (and bonus points for those who stayed up for the EPS). That was pretty impressive.

FWIW, the GEPS ticked snowier last night, but there are still a lot of rainy solutions for DC.

7yHnEjo.png

ETA: Fewer big hits on the GEPS last night, but I'm not sure how much that matters at this point. There are still a lot of members east of the op / control.

UAa5TRi.gif

Your edit is hilarious. May just be the post of the year!

Even though I am extremely giddy right now I am also extremely cautious. Looking @ the 6z GFS for example it seems like (to me at least) that it is misplacing the low. Based on the 500mb map I feel like the actual low should be farther N than the 6z GFS is putting it. 

Take a look @ this;

post-8091-0-53804800-1453038481_thumb.gi

If all you had to go off was the image above you would probably say the GFS was showing a rain storm for the area, but at the time frame there is a low dying out in West Viriginia & a new low forming over Eastern North Carolina. 

Long way to go, but I really need someone to pinch me and wake me up, this is amazing. The potential here is OFF the charts.

Even though I am extremely giddy right now I am also extremely cautious. Looking @ the 6z GFS for example it seems like (to me at least) that it is misplacing the low. Based on the 500mb map I feel like the actual low should be farther N than the 6z GFS is putting it.

Take a look @ this;

misplaced.gif

If all you had to go off was the image above you would probably say the GFS was showing a rain storm for the area, but at the time frame there is a low dying out in West Viriginia & a new low forming over Eastern North Carolina.

Long way to go, but I really need someone to pinch me and wake me up, this is amazing. The potential here is OFF the charts.

It still would depend on the damming.

If you post in this thread, be objective. You always find the worst scenario to hone in on.

You know you are right. Maybe it is time to change. Ever since Dec 26, 2010, something happened to me. Its like I can't let go. I am pretty sure that I got divorced over that debacle. Ever since then I have basically been an a-hole. Maybe this is the redemption storm.

You know you are right. Maybe it is time to change. Ever since Dec 26, 2010, something happened to me. Its like I can't let go. I am pretty sure that I got divorced over that debacle. Ever since then I have basically been an a-hole. Maybe this is the redemption storm.

The SREFs are forever trash in my view since that storm. They totally blew it. Showed a half inch of precip for the area steadily even as the storm was passing us by.

Well, I'm sorry for your troubles. Weather has to be something you enjoy, not depend on.

If it's any consolation, when posters like Matt, Ian, Bob, Hi-Z, DT......are excited, your chances are good. Long way to go, but with all on board, it looks pretty good.

No one posted this, but the 18z Parallel GFS was pretty wrapped up & inland...However the 00z came much farther E and is a solid hit. 

(the parallel runs are 6 hours behind so for example the 6z Par GFS comes out around the same time the 12z OP does)

It's perfect because it's like having even more models to digest ;) 10x the fun for weenies. 

My question was tongue in cheek.....

I'm greasing the plow as we speak.

OMG, no.

I understand the excitement, but I'm having a hard time working up a legit whoop because of our history of collapse this far out.   Like all of us, I wish this was 60 hours out.   Like others have said, its gonna be a long ass week here.

Ryan Maue just tweeted that the Para Euro snow map is one of the biggest he has ever seen for the MA? Anyone confirm what it shows?

I don't have the Para in front of me, but I know for example it shows 16-25" for Philly region with 3 feet in parts of C PA and MD. I imagine its a huge hit for you guys as well 

OMG, no.

I understand the excitement, but I'm having a hard time working up a legit whoop because of our history of collapse this far out. Like all of us, I wish this was 60 hours out. Like others have said, its gonna be a long ass week here.

I was joking. I'm with you, 5 days is an eternity.

I will say that 4 straight runs of the gfs showing the same thing gives me confidence. It simply hasn't done that at that time range all season.

Archived