• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Med/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

Feb '83 was in-and-out in a hurry, but the dynamics were ridiculous.  Not sure of the setup at the time, but the cold HP for that storm was a heck of a lot colder than this one looks to be.  I had temps in the low teens that entire day while 32" piled up in under 16 hours.  Thundersnow at 13F is something I don't expect to ever see again in my lifetime.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starts around 1030

We have a whole week to look forward to, "this will be the most important model run of the 2015-16 winter season".

(Until the next one of course)

Seriously though, we've all been put through the ringer 5-6+ days out.  It's there one run, an inland runner the next, only to come back in our favor (hopefully). 

I believe as we get closer to the storm, and Bob may be able to explain it better than I can, that we start seeing a 2 part system. There will the initial WAA ahead of the ULL, and then once the energy loops around the base of the trough the low will end up bombing and then you get the deformation and CCB snows....Where that sets up @ this point is anyone's guess. Could be Ohio to out in the Atlantic at this point. 

The 00z EURO & Par EURO were such epic bombs because if you look at the 144-150 hr 500mb progs you can see the energy rounding the base of the trough...it ends up bombing the hell out of the low @ that point and you get a blizzard West of the low at that point. The GFS is having issues with that & will probably have issues with that as we get closer to the event. 

Looking at the zoomed in panels the para is crazy uniform. 15-18 for everybody in the burbs.

Garrett Co will be closed for a couple days with 3'

Total precip at dca is 2" and 15" of snow so the mixing is evident. My neck is 1.8 precip and 17" so the para is showing a classic big miller A with pretty standard mixing zones.

The QPF numbers from the para are ridiculous. It might be the highest QPF numbers I have ever seen at that long of a lead time. It's like a weenine NAM run. And once again the snow accum maps remind of 2003. 

Of course, it only catches on if it is a I-95 snow event. I believe this past coastal was technically a bomb. 

Yes good point. Honestly there should be a master list of meteorological terms that should be banned from usage if you have no idea what you're talking about ;) 

Polar vortex, derecho, bombogenesis are among my top contenders. 

Anyway back on topic - last nights model runs sure brought the giddiness back to our subforum :)

Think I mentioned Feb 1983...someone said no more like Feb 1976...DT must admit 1983 got me into tracking at 9 years old an amazing storm....good comparison on your part

Marginally like 1983.. not sure that's the best analog other than it's a strong Nino.

It's fine.  Storm is still there and we're on the edge.  Same story as the last run.

Yup. At this range, that's about all we can (or really even should) take away from this. Temp differences one way or another are fairly subtle, and the details of how the energy is going to come together are far from settled. Even though this isn't a plastering, I think it's still fairly encouraging. The pieces are all there.

Archived