• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Med/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

I don't have the Para in front of me, but I know for example it shows 16-25" for Philly region with 3 feet in parts of C PA and MD. I imagine its a huge hit for you guys as well

It's a nuke. Tracks just inside obx then 990mb over Hampton roads. Track is too close for all snow in the cities but mid teen accums anyways. Winchester gains 2-3 feet in elevation

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a nuke. Tracks just inside obx then 990mb over Hampton roads. Track is too close for all snow in the cities but mid teen accums anyways. Winchester gains 2-3 feet in elevation

I'll buy you a beer if you post it...

and btw....for an amateur...you sure do a great job.  Dare I say I hope to have your skillset someday.  Been a rough one, but looking forward to learning from you some more this week.

Nut

Ryan Maue just tweeted that the Para Euro snow map is one of the biggest he has ever seen for the MA? Anyone confirm what it shows?

talked about it earlier in the thread. 3ft totals for Deep Creek, Altoona, State College. 18 for bwi, 15/16 for DCA. 2 ft+ for winchester, front royal, etc.

Looking at the zoomed in panels the para is crazy uniform. 15-18 for everybody in the burbs.

Garrett Co will be closed for a couple days with 3'

Total precip at dca is 2" and 15" of snow so the mixing is evident. My neck is 1.8 precip and 17" so the para is showing a classic big miller A with pretty standard mixing zones.

Good morning fellow snow nuts and weenies!  Just catching up on last night's discussion in here, noting there were several new pages since yesterday evening.  All I can say is...wow.  Best night of the year thus far in terms of any potential event.  I went through those pages kind of quickly to get an overview, but my sense is that (1)the Euro has the low emerge more from the south whereas the GFS tends to have it west with re-development off the coast, thus the GFS is a bit more "problematic" in terms of thermal profiles for part of the storm, (2)the Euro apparently(?) has a bit of a stronger high bending to our north.  So the Euro is more a classic Miller-A, though even the GFS is as the storm comes out of the southern stream.

The thing that's stood out about this is that even the "less than perfect" solutions still give us something worth talking about and most of those give us decent snow all the same.  That's different from what we had before, I think.  Heck, something along the lines of Feb. 2014 wouldn't be bad, and we all knew that one would change over for awhile at some point.

Looking at the zoomed in panels the para is crazy uniform. 15-18 for everybody in the burbs.

Total precip at dca is 2" and 15" of snow so the mixing is evident. My neck is 1.8 precip and 17" so the para is showing a classic big miller A with pretty standard mixing zones.

I'd take a lot of snow, followed by some kind of mix/sleet, followed by some wrap-around bands any day.  Not that it matters to dig into details this far out, but I'm sure everyone would like to avoid a period of all (heavy) rain in there.

The main difference with the para vs op is the para tracks the primary in to KY and redevelops over SC. Op is a straight shot from the south. Thermals look great with both leading in.

Para precip start time is somewhere around 6am or so on Friday a little quicker than the op. Temps at onset are upper 20's to 30. During the day the surface freezing line does go west of 95 but temps along 95 only go 34 tops.

Looks good Bob. But in still hesitant to jump all in. But I will say, this has the most support so far this lousy winter.

Bring it home brother.

The main difference with the para vs op is the para tracks the primary in to KY and redevelops over SC. Op is a straight shot from the south. Thermals look great with both leading in.

Para precip start time is somewhere around 6am or so on Friday a little quicker than the op. Temps at onset are upper 20's to 30. During the day the surface freezing line does go west of 95 but temps along 95 only go 34 tops.

Thanks, Bob.  The GFS, from my cursory glance just a few moments ago has a primary go into KY as well, with re-development at that time...but it is more inland at first which I guess is why there are "issues" for awhile closer to I-95 and east.  Also, the primary doesn't totally dissipate in that time period in the GFS.  The 06Z GFS appears a tad farther east from what I can tell with the re-development.  Parsing details here, I  know, but just trying to visualize the subtle differences.

Few days ago most of us would kill for 3" of snow, so can't be greedy here 

Yeah, we'd all like to get on the board before the month is out, finally!  Maybe a tad greedy because there's actually a reasonable chance at something significant now.  But I think many on here would be happy with an "imperfect" event that still gives us a significant amount of snow (that doesn't just get washed away!).

By the way, slightly different topic.  As I was catching up in here earlier, I saw your comment about the wacky-looking pattern in the long-range 18Z GFS.  I saw that too, very strange but a really nice block if only something like that could happen!  00Z had it too, to some extent.  Not that we can trust ops runs out in time like that, but it was interesting all the same.

Archived