• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
20 years ago- January 1996 Blizzard (photos)

bklnwx1

If anyone wants larger/hi-res versions, just download from my photo-sharing site:    https://toomanyphotos.smugmug.com/1996016-7-January-Blizzard/

The download icon is the down pointing arrow at the lower right corner of the page, Please attribute to me.

I've lived mostly in this area since the 1979's. The  only times I recall a similiar intensity of falling snow was on Feb 1983 and Dec 2010.

Barry Bloom

A true HECS.  Snow from start to finish in most locales...feet of snow, good winds, long duration....  Unknown at the time, but the Euro had this nailed 5 days out.  It was not until the mid day runs on Sat that I knew we were going to get nailed too.  Just 24 hrs before the first flakes...the good ol GFS! 

A true HECS. Snow from start to finish in most locales...feet of snow, good winds, long duration.... Unknown at the time, but the Euro had this nailed 5 days out. It was not until the mid day runs on Sat that I knew we were going to get nailed too. Just 24 hrs before the first flakes...the good ol GFS!

Yeah hard to believe it took until 36 hours out for the gfs/avn to even hint at snows making it up to nyc. Even then I remember forecasts of 1-2 feet for central and South Jersey and 6-10 for NYC by Monday morning. Then waking up the morning of the 7th and seeing TWC have 12" plus across the entire northeast for the first time ever.

Unfortunately I had to leave that morning and take a bus back to school as state college was only supposed to get 4-8 (ended up with 18 and had 2 days of canceled classes). So I spent most of the blizzard on a greyhound on the PA tpk. I made my mom videotape the storm though and still have the tape with about an hour of footage.

This is the storm that really got me interested in the weather. I grew up in College Point, was 11 at the time. Non stop TWC and local news weather. My favorite memory from the storm is that my house was literally snowed in. Front and back doors were drifted so much we couldn't open them and somehow snow got into the garage and we couldn't open it fully either. So we opened the garage as much as possible and my younger brother, 8 years old at the time, tunneled through a hole we dug and then shoveled out the drift blocking the front door.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I remember early that week Janice Huff from channel 4 was forecasting that the storm would end up well south of us. Flurries were to be expected. About 24 hours before the storm I believe they were only calling for a moderate event of 3-6 inches. After that every 6 hours the amounts kept doubling. Snow started at 9am Sunday morning and kept going until 1pm on Monday! At the time I was living in Bloomfield and ended up with 30 inches. Greatest snow event of my life. Would love to see a storm of that ferocity again.

I only made a video or it...this is part 2 of January 7th...midnight was the height of the storm where I lived...I even had some sleet mix in around midnight...the time was off...am should be pm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MHCXBkfv94

Sleet? You're the first person Uncle from the nyc area that I heard ever mentioning sleet with the Blizzard of 95. I don't feel so bad now, but still feel gypped. Lol

P.s. Great video. I actually already watched it a few years ago!

I remember early that week Janice Huff from channel 4 was forecasting that the storm would end up well south of us. Flurries were to be expected. About 24 hours before the storm I believe they were only calling for a moderate event of 3-6 inches. After that every 6 hours the amounts kept doubling. Snow started at 9am Sunday morning and kept going until 1pm on Monday! At the time I was living in Bloomfield and ended up with 30 inches. Greatest snow event of my life. Would love to see a storm of that ferocity again.

I think Bloomfield was closer to 36" I was there and plowed the through the entire storm. It was truly amazing and hope I can experience a similar storm just one more time in my life. Unlikely...

Too bad we didn't have these fancy camera phones back then.

Sleet? You're the first person Uncle from the nyc area that I heard ever mentioning sleet with the Blizzard of 95. I don't feel so bad now, but still feel gypped. Lol

P.s. Great video. I actually already watched it a few years ago!

you could hear the sleet or it could have been graupel...I think it was sleet but it was brief...another thing about the storm was when I took a core measurement for water equivalent 19" of snow depth yielded over 2.4" melted...My rain gauge measured 23" but had less than 2" of melted snow...obs were done every six hours...

you could hear the sleet or it could have been graupel...I think it was sleet but it was brief...another thing about the storm was when I took a core measurement for water equivalent 19" of snow depth yielded over 2.4" melted...My rain gauge measured 23" but had less than 2" of melted snow...obs were done every six hours...

Reading some of the posts here about '96 being the one that got a lot of folks started is how a slightly older generation (mine) felt about the Blizzard of '83.   That one was similar in terms of the forecast amounts going up as the storm got going (tho with 83 the error was more about out to sea than staying south of course.)  I'll wait til Feb to reminisce further about that one.  Only thing I'll add is that for those who got started in '96, it's been a great run albeit with ups and downs.  For those who got started in 83, on LI there was very little over 6 inches until 96.  One more thing.  I cannot believe it has been 20 years!

I think Bloomfield was closer to 36" I was there and plowed the through the entire storm. It was truly amazing and hope I can experience a similar storm just one more time in my life. Unlikely...

Too bad we didn't have these fancy camera phones back then.

Yes, I think portions of central NJ had 30-36" in the January '96 Blizzard. We were a little too far north in Westchester for massive totals, I think we got in the 20-24" range. There was a pretty sharp northern cutoff in the 96 storm.

Archived