• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2016 BANTER

Isopycnic

Oh yeah, I have no doubt that this will have large amounts of QPF with it and I'm very comfortable with where we sit right now. I was speaking more in terms of a few of the folks here mentioning a chase to see some snow and the way I figure, a couple more hours of driving for some could land them in prime territory.

Ok agreed! I just want to see some thunder snow. Havent seen any in a long time. Lol hey btw nice to talk to you for the first time this year. Happy new year! You move out of Roanoke?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok agreed! I just want to see some thunder snow. Havent seen any in a long time. Lol hey btw nice to talk to you for the first time this year. Happy new year! You move out of Roanoke?

Same to you -- Glad to see you've returned again for another winter. I'm now living in Blacksburg about an hour away from Roanoke. I'm about 1,000ft higher in elevation and bit further west away from Roanoke, so I'm curious to see how I do in this storm.

Hmm.  Maybe we better thnk again about chasing.  I pulled this from Facebook.   :)

When I see group photos of storm chasers at Chasercon or on their FB pages, I am immediately struck by how fat they are. Not all are fatties, but a lot are. Also, I'm not talking about just muffin topping, or a bit of a beer belly fat, I'm talking morbidly obese. And what is scary is a lot of these chasers are in their 20's and 30's, and way too young to be that fat. Not surprising though. Out of the 130 6th graders I teach, and these are 10, 11 and 12-year-olds, I'd say at least 20 weigh more than I do. So this obesity thing is a big problem among chasers, and a lot of it for us has to do with our lifestyle. When we are chasing we are sitting for longer hours than even the most sedentary desk jobs. We are not eating very healthy and at regular times. There is stress. There is little time for quality exercise. Then when we are not chasing, we are working and geeking out on our laptops, smart phones and tablets about the next storm system or the latest drama, when we could be using that time to get some much-needed exercise. We are also a troubled lot, with many of us suffering from depression, PTSD, relationship and financial issues that drive us to drink and even do illegal drugs. We also have the risk-taker gene in our bodies that also leads us down the road of self-destructive behavior. Chaser mortality in recent years has been due to causes not related to obesity. I fear with many of the early chasers getting up into their 50's, 60's and 70's, we are on the verge of seeing a lot of our chaser friends keeling over with heart attacks, strokes and complications from diabetes. Probably a few also in their 30's and 40's, if they don't change their ways. Hell, if I keeled over with a heart attack tonight, most would say, looks like those Big Macs and DQ Blizzards finally caught up with old Phelpsy. Just some tough love here my friends. Let's start working toward getting healthy in 2016. I want to be able to enjoy all of your awesome work for many, many, more years, so I want to be around longer, and I want you to be around longer for that to happen.

Fatty-Chasers.  :snowman:

..FRIDAY...SNOW POSSIBLE. A LARGE AND STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM

IS EXPECTED TO BRING PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW TO THE WESTERN NORTH

CAROLINA MOUNTAINS ON FRIDAY.

..SATURDAY...SNOW POSSIBLE. NORTHWEST WINDS WILL DEVELOP IN THE

WAKE OF LOW PRESSURE SATURDAY MORNING. ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL IS

EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH THE DAY. IN ADDITION...COLD

TEMPERATURES WILL RESULT IN SLICK DRIVING CONDITIONS ON UNTREATED

ROADS AND BRIDGES.

For those around the Midlands of SC, I have added a new Winter weather chance signature to my profile/posts.  I base the % chance off of many factors including ensembles, operational runs, climo, and overall trends.

For my first, I have chosen 13% in the next 7 days just because of the potential big mid-atlantic storm taking shape on modeling.  It's on the lower side due to just a very slight chance of some wrap around moisture on the backside.. which is weighted on the few Southern ensemble member solutions. (doubtful basically)

I won't always explain the reasoning unless it goes past 50%.. and that will be briefly described in the signature next to the %.

If you aren't able to see the signature, it's because you are using a mobile device or have the mobile style activated for the board that disables signatures.

Props to WxWatcher007's despair index for the idea.

Using 13% (as opposed to 15%) does make your index sound a lot more scientific, as if there were actual numbers that you were calculating.

Did/do you go to UNCC? This is not the way to represent our Alma mater. It's still Mid-January. 

Yeah, you're right, sorry.  I was bummed last night with the runs.  We just can't get any cold in the piedmont for any sustained amount of time.  It's going to scoot out just in time for this inland low.  Just frustrating.  Gotta wait until 2 weeks probably to get any further chances at least. 

Almost didn't! A wins a win tho. 

It was funner watching the crybaby Packers sent on their way.

It's crazy how the panthers do that.  It's interesting too when Rivera was quoted as saying at half time, we're not going to play conservative, then Cam at the end said oh, we definitely played conservative! Just can't do that.  It bites you in the back every time.  Almost did again yesterday.....win's a win though.

I'm really trying to temper my escitement here across the VA border.

GFS gives me 4-7"

EURO says 12-15"

Hell of a spread. GFS got its victory. It's time for the King to reclaim its crown.

Check out the ensembles, I'm almost positive GEFS gives you a lot more than the EPS.

Archived