• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2016 Disco/Obs: A New Year, A New Pattern

Rjay

Currently we are exactly normal for Jan.   Next 8 days figure to be +6 by the GFSx so this would put us at +3 for the month by the morning of the 16th.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getmex.pl?sta=KACY&sta=KEWR&sta=KNYC&sta=KJFK&sta=KLGA

Not likely given the cold that comes Wed on of next week.  Mon and Tue are not that warm either

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the AO forecast to drop to -4.000 or below toward mid-January, I took a look at all January cases (1950-2015) during which the AO first reached -4.000 at January 15 +/- 10 days. I then looked at the number of days on which measurable snow fell during two periods, one beginning on the date when the AO reached -4.000 and ending 30 days later and the other with same starting point but ending 45 days later. I also looked at total snowfall during those periods.

Below are the data for New York City:

NYCAO01082016.jpg

With the AO forecast to drop to -4.000 or below toward mid-January, I took a look at all January cases (1950-2015) during which the AO first reached -4.000 at January 15 +/- 10 days. I then looked at the number of days on which measurable snow fell during two periods, one beginning on the date when the AO reached -4.000 and ending 30 days later and the other with same starting point but ending 45 days later. I also looked at total snowfall during those periods.

Below are the data for New York City:

NYCAO01082016.jpg

Wow....that's a pretty strong signal for a snowfall at some point in NYC

Wow....that's a pretty strong signal for a snowfall at some point in NYC

I agree. In addition, 1958, 1966, and 1979 all had KU snowstorms within the 30-days following the AO's drop to -4.000 or below and 1969 had one within 45 days. Put another way, 50% of the El Niño cases wound up having a KU snowstorm.

Seems the 12Z EURO took the suppressed GFS and suppressed it even further, so that none of EC benefits from the decent pattern.

Much colder run.

Havent seen the EPS yet which would be more reliable at this range BUT I would much rather have a potential large-scale phase job vort being suppressed as opposed to a cutter. It just seems that 9 out of 10 times when a cutter is progged the track never recovers to a favorable one for snow.

Going to be the fourth January out of five with an extreme temperature swing during the first 

11 days of the month for NYC.

January 1-11 temperature range

2016...high near 60 Sunday.....low 11

2015...high.........56................low...8

2014...high.........58................low...4

2012...high.........62................low...14

A photo from this morning:

Manor_Park01102016_1b.jpg

Through 1 pm, Central Park had picked up 1.77" rain. That broke the daily precipitation record of 1.72", which was set in 1888. 1888 became known for a different storm in the NYC area that occurred in March.

So far, the high temperature in NYC is 58°. The daily record is 60°, which was set in 1876.

Archived