joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2016 Disco/Obs: A New Year, A New Pattern

Rjay

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So are you only looking at NYC proper or the average of the area as whole? The further NW you travel, the wetter the models are, the further SE, the drier. The city itself is on the drier side.

You know very well what you meant and what the truth was. Not arguing. I was referring to NYC and LI, plus the northern half of NJ. 90% of the posters here live there.

The set up at day 10 is a west base block with neg nao on the 12z euro only downside is the pna ridge is kid of flat and we are getting pac air which is marginal at best...we can work on that this far out. Plus a low in the lakes is not helping us....this is day 10 so a lot can change

The set up at day 10 is a west base block with neg nao on the 12z euro only downside is the pna ridge is kid of flat and we are getting pac air which is marginal at best...we can work on that this far out.

There is a full latitude long wave trough which digs all the way into the Northern Gulf and you have building heights towards Greenland. I'd take my chances with that setup.

Looks too warm and don't like the lp over great lakes and no HP in southeast Canada

ecmwf_T850_us_10.png

Temps are hurting because you have a low in the lakes like you said and no HP which moved out. You get a strong enough costal it can work...it's far out there so these players will change

Plus our source region is the pac or w/e ridge we get from the PNA...no true -epo like we had the last two winters....yes we have a crazy block with -nao but we are trapping just cold enough air. That's usually how strong el ninos are.

That's no bootleg block on the 12z GFS op wow crazy

i continue to not be a fan of the look on the ensembles. i want to see a stronger band of negative anomalies south of the block. compare to 58 and 2010. the current models cut off the negative height anomalies around DC and they aren't that negative. we are going to have a pac air problem regardless of everyone doing cartwheels

post-63-0-44616200-1452193551_thumb.gif

post-63-0-66596600-1452193560_thumb.gif

As far as the GGEM goes, all I have to go on is a graphic indicating > 50MM. And 50MM is 1.96". So I don't know how anyone could say 2" on the nose unless they have something more detailed.

PR_000-120_0000.gif

If you are struggling with amounts on the GGEM because of the big gap between 50 and 75 on this map, you can look on other maps.

Details get sorted inside 5 days ( No lock ) but that is not a look you see everyday here .

It's an awesome look for a powerful storm. Forky is right though, the block is pushing down so hard it literally cuts off the cold air. Out west we need a stronger +PNA, it's not terrible by any means but pacific air gets involved. 10 days out and plenty of time but it's something to keep in mind.

Isn't this verbatim not good enough for the coast?

I don`t know anyone that looks at details 10 days out . You sort that inside 5 days . 

Does not have to go our way , but that`s big potential . nothing more nothing less .

That is not just your garden variety look at 500 . 

Euro ensembles have the mean off the New england coast for next weeks storm and near the benchmark for the 16-17. Way different than the op. I dont see any inland runners on the mean.

Its no secret the Op Euro has had cutter issues after 144 hours ever since its upgrade so that does not surprise me.  Some of our more significant events the last 4 winters the Euro has shown as a cutter beyond Day 5.

i continue to not be a fan of the look on the ensembles. i want to see a stronger band of negative anomalies south of the block. compare to 58 and 2010. the current models cut off the negative height anomalies around DC and they aren't that negative. we are going to have a pac air problem regardless of everyone doing cartwheels

wes agrees

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/01/07/two-week-outlook-abnormally-warm-to-wintry-cold-and-the-slightest-hint-of-snow/

"The pattern is close to being a good one for snow in the D.C. area, but is still lacking an important feature: upper level low pressure around Nova Scotia."

"In fact, neither the GFS nor the European model are even hinting at this very important Nova Scotia low pressure during our period in question. Both models do seem to suggest that a storm will dig up into our region from the south. Both the Arctic and North Atlantic Oscillations are strongly negative, which often helps our chances for getting snow by forcing the storm track to the south.

But the extent of the high pressure centered over Greenland is disconcerting. The oval below defines where an upper level low or trough is usually located 24 hours before a major snowstorm. In this scenario, it’s looking a little too red in Nova Scoatia for Washington snow."

i know it's DC but we need help too

Archived