• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January 2016 Disco/Obs: A New Year, A New Pattern

Rjay

Very extreme behavior for the AO to drop from +4.503 on December 22nd to a -4 or -5 range low in early January.

The development of the super Kara-centered ridge you've been discussing probably played the biggest role in triggering such a development, should it occur. If so, the Arctic sea ice-atmosphere interaction would most likely have been the trigger for such blocking.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The development of the super Kara-centered ridge you've been discussing probably played the biggest role in triggering such a development, should it occur. If so, the Arctic sea ice-atmosphere interaction would most likely have been the trigger for such blocking.

Yeah, that near to record breaking Kara ridge was able to finally dislodge the polar vortex from the Arctic as seen in

the animation below. The timing of the MJO pulse was also favorable to get a blockier high latitude pattern than

we had been seeing in recent months according to some composites like Raleighwx. But the extreme swing is such

a short period of time is very impressive.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/intraseasonal/z500_nh_anim.shtml

What a beautiful pattern on the Euro setting up day 5 in the wake of the first low. Dome of cold air locked in over the mid-west with the PV dropping down through the lakes and a massive ridge in the West stretching almost to Alaska.

The Cutter helps build a huge ridge over Greenland after 144 hours. Whether that stays or not remains to be seen. Agreed though powerful cold blast for next week.

The Cutter helps build a huge ridge over Greenland after 144 hours. Whether that stays or not remains to be seen. Agreed though powerful cold blast for next week.

Let me also add today's 12z GFS had a much more active look to it than yesterday's run. More southern stream activity. Based on the powerful niño in place that would make sense. We just need a well timed shortwave, -NAO looks solid on some of the data.

Is there a chance of a flash freeze after the rain on Sunday as the cold air comes in?

Does anyone remember the last true flash freeze for NYC and boroughs? I seem to remember one on New Years Eve a few years back as the parking lots and some side streets became a sheet of ice when the temps dropped fast. This was when I lived in Douglaston, Queens

Is there a chance of a flash freeze after the rain on Sunday as the cold air comes in?

Does anyone remember the last true flash freeze for NYC and boroughs? I seem to remember one on New Years Eve a few years back as the parking lots and some side streets became a sheet of ice when the temps dropped fast. This was when I lived in Douglaston, Queens

They're pretty rare. March 2005 saw temps in the upper 30s and rain and quickly dropped into the 20s/teens. But usually they are tough to get

I remember one several years ago. It was 60 and rain in the morning which turned to 30s and snow in the afternoon.

With not much cold air, the southern stream sure looks active though.

It will be hard to get sustained cold air with the pac flow but def with the neg nao things will be active on the east coast. We don't need artic dogs to get snow, just cold enough. Things look also a lot better in the long term...

It will be hard to get sustained cold air with the pac flow but def with the neg nao things will be active on the east coast. We don't need artic dogs to get snow, just cold enough. Things look also a lot better in the long term...

I definitely agree with you. It's a major pattern flip and to see such a robust -AO/-NAO is promising.

I definitely agree with you. It's a major pattern flip and to see such a robust -AO/-NAO is promising.

Strong Nino very seldom have huge long stretches of artic air, 09-10 we did that all with normal temps. If we keep the GOA out of Alaska and help pump that PNA ridge I think we will be fine.

Archived