EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January 2016 Disco/Obs: A New Year, A New Pattern

Rjay

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Classic northerly cold air drain down the Hudson Valley for NYC with the temp down to 11

as of 6am. Today may possibly be the coldest low of the month for NYC. The cold

shot next week looks to come in on a more W or NW flow so the lowest temp may not

be able to rival today in NYC. Quick rebound this week and weekend to above normal

temps again before pattern turns colder next week.

Classic northerly cold air drain down the Hudson Valley for NYC with the temp down to 11

shot next week looks to come in on a more W or NW flow so the lowest temp may not

be able to rival today in NYC. Quick rebound this week and weekend to above normal

Yep....this was ideal for NYC to drop low...next week Pv is over the northern plains. But this might allow for a clipper so NYC can score its first snowfall of the season

The center point/coldest days  of the cold shot next week which looks to be around a 7 to 8 day outbreak  vs the current 3 days of BNs look to center itself either side of the 14th  .

On W or NW  flow KNYC  would need snow cover to all the way down here . 

Non the less what is coming between the 11th - 19th is COLD . 

When looking at the weeklies it is always hard to look past week 2 or 3 with any real confidence for a few reasons , one they run off the 0z ensemble of  that morning and if day 15 is wrong , it will get reflected out in time .  In general as time increases your center point diverges so you have to take the out weeks 4 5 6  with a real grain of salt .

What I like to do when I look at the weeklies is go from week to week and see if an error pattern develops in the model means .

In other words , is there a bias at work and can you see it over time .

The European seasonal center points the HB ridge on it`s WESTERN side  from J -M . Over the last few weeks , its week 3 and 4 keep adjusting west with it`s greatest centering of the height field . As a result we have been looking colder in guidance .

Hence this small period and the one you will see next week . I had always thought we would relax after the 20th . 

The question is to what ? Yesterday of course the minute one said relax the usual suspects rush in yell 98 and say the CONUS will get flooded with warm air .

THAT SEEMS TO BE INCORRECT AGAIN . 

Here are  the weeklies from 0z DEC 24  week 3 ( Night and day difference )  4  ( You swap the ridge out on the EC with a trough ) 5 ( Look at the western migration of that ridge in the means )   and here are the new week 2- 3 -4 run yesterday of the 46 day ensembles  . You can see how the heights get pulled back as we get closer and as a result the trough is able to establish itself in the SE in the means . After a very cold 8 day period next week , we moderate its prob back to N to slightly A . If these are correct , that too will be transient . 

Side note , the break on the weeklies is now centered between Jan 29 - Feb 5

And Feb 5 through Feb 19 look Very Good . But there is plenty potentially here over the next 3 weeks after the " abbreviated " warm up flies through the flow . 

Dec 24 weeklies vs Jan 4 weeklies . 

post-7472-0-90931100-1451067416.png

post-7472-0-85568200-1451067427.png

post-7472-0-39507900-1451067452.png

post-7472-0-00947500-1451996013_thumb.pn

post-7472-0-02150400-1451996030_thumb.pn

post-7472-0-32677900-1451996049_thumb.pn

The front is likely massacring the warm SSTs.

Buoys 44065 (outside NYC harbor) and 44025 (south of LI) both still at 51 degrees which is about what it was when I checked last week. Crazy for the time of year. They will certainly start to drop faster now, but it takes time to release all that heat!

Could push 60F on Sunday with nearly 2" of rain if the Euro is correct.

Wow.  That reminds me of an event last Jan, a bit later where the Euro led the charge and was right-incredible rainstorm that started out as freezing rain but dumped about 2 inches of rain in the end-other models were clueless until the end.

Wow.  That reminds me of an event last Jan, a bit later where the Euro led the charge and was right-incredible rainstorm that started out as freezing rain but dumped about 2 inches of rain in the end-other models were clueless until the end.

Looks warm before the cold front. After that the models show a cold pattern setting up which could lead to our first snowfall  mid January.

1/18/15 I think is the date you are referring to.  I had .89" and my weather log states "AM freezing rain, change to rain, then back to freezing rain, .50 ice on the driveway"

Wow. That reminds me of an event last Jan, a bit later where the Euro led the charge and was right-incredible rainstorm that started out as freezing rain but dumped about 2 inches of rain in the end-other models were clueless until the end.

Yup we had thunderstorms here with that. But afterwards the pattern changed for the better

Archived