Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015-16 Winter Pattern Discussion

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The AO goes Negative on Dec 11th on the Euro and is -2 by the 15. NAO is modestly negative by the 12th and the EPO goes negative around the 16th but the PNA also goes Negative around the 11th but is almost neutral by 16th. 

What happens to Temps with all of them Negative? I don't think I have seen that in a Nino year. 

The AO goes Negative on Dec 11th on the Euro and is -2 by the 15. NAO is modestly negative by the 12th and the EPO goes negative around the 16th but the PNA also goes Negative around the 11th but is almost neutral by 16th.

What happens to Temps with all of them Negative? I don't think I have seen that in a Nino year.

SE ridge FTW.

Problem is the GFS is still the GFS and the LR flips like a fish out of water

They might, but models arnt what they were a few years back. But the trends been really good for cold lovers. Might just have to stick it out for a few weeks. 

Yea, never trust the GFS. even at 6 hours lol. The 0z and the 6z had major differentials from what I've noticed today. 

:yikes:

Up here, we're about +2 per day then we have a couple of days later next week around +5 or 6. So, lower to mid 50's for the most part which isn't bad. The problem is we're averaging about a +5 for lows (right at or just above freezing) for the next week which is limiting snowmaking to a huge degree.

Problem is the GFS is still the GFS and the LR flips like a fish out of water

When it comes to snowfall I agree, and even 500mb patterns...but it does sniff out things. I've seen control runs sniff out those deep PV drops (or part of the PV) way before operationals show it. Euro control is notorious for this. So ignoring the LR GFS simply because it's LR, you're doing yourself a disservice. Trends is what it's about. BTW I'm just talking in general, not to you...just in case. Welcome to the forum!

One takeaway is it at least goes to zonal flow near the end. That ridge is massive. 

Pacific Air blows warm  ;) 

DECEMBER TORCH IS AT + 2.7 SO FAR FOR GREENSBORO AFTER 4 DAYS. HAD A +11 ON DAY 2.

+5.1 so far here at CAE    :weight_lift:  :sun:

Really liking how the GFS has trended..... Looks like the arctic floodgates are poised to open soon!!

Congrats central and western states  :D  :lol:   Warm and wet will continue for us here in the east   :guitar:

One takeaway is it at least goes to zonal flow near the end. That ridge is massive. 

It's actually going zonal because the ensemble members vary greatly between one another, so the average of their outputs is zonal. If you look at the individual members, you can see that none of them are really zonal- there are just extremes on either end.

Pna is the most critical. Got to get it posotive. All your doing is blocking pacific air. Need a big fat hp to drive the flow from Canada, even if it's above normal air for them.

Pna is the most critical. Got to get it posotive. All your doing is blocking pacific air. Need a big fat hp to drive the flow from Canada, even if it's above normal air for them.

Yeah if we could get the GOA low to retrograde a bit it could help slow the pacific jet allowing for more of a positive pna

It's actually going zonal because the ensemble members vary greatly between one another, so the average of their outputs is zonal. If you look at the individual members, you can see that none of them are really zonal- there are just extremes on either end.

Thanks for defining ensemble runs for me.....

Congrats central and western states   :D   :lol:   Warm and wet will continue for us here in the east   :guitar:

West and North get their candy before us :) Let's hope we get our candy soon and lots of it! Been awhile since we had a nice ice storm  :snowing:

Archived