Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2015-16 Winter Pattern Discussion

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pain and suffering on the CFS for Dec...well unless you like warmth. The past few days were very nice here, temps in the 70's and sun, if we get more of that I will take it!

Looks good! Great winter still on track!

That model is never right when it shows cold, but it will nail that! I've already tossed December

Pain and suffering on the CFS for Dec...well unless you like warmth.  The past few days were very nice here, temps in the 70's and sun, if we get more of that I will take it!

December makes no difference to me snow-wise and I really don't care much if we torch honestly.  December rarely works out anyways for CLT.  With that said, I'm starting to worry, just a bit, that this strong of a vortex, this bad of a locked-in pattern will take longer than foreseen to wash away to a good one.  We eat in to January and that's takes alot of opportunity away for the SE IMO.  It drives me crazy when good blocking shows up early/mid March....JUST in time to be too late.  That's in the back of my head moving forward.  

Hopefully the last two weeks of Dec sets the stage but man we're in a bad pattern right now.   

I do worry that everything gets stuck in the west again.....

If you like posotive nao and ao your in luck. Wetter than normal and above normal temps for SE. West is cold. Never been a fan of the weeklies myself regardless of what they show.

They were good, showing the typical +QBO nino pattern with warmth everywhere except SW...but when you roll the analogs forward it does get cold.  All in all I like they way they looked, good thing we got the holidays to keep us busy as it will be a tough wait until mid-January or so.

post-2311-0-62092300-1448933549_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-56154600-1448933595_thumb.pn

December makes no difference to me snow-wise and I really don't care much if we torch honestly.  December rarely works out anyways for CLT.  With that said, I'm starting to worry, just a bit, that this strong of a vortex, this bad of a locked-in pattern will take longer than foreseen to wash away to a good one.  We eat in to January and that's takes alot of opportunity away for the SE IMO.  It drives me crazy when good blocking shows up early/mid March....JUST in time to be too late.  That's in the back of my head moving forward.  

Hopefully the last two weeks of Dec sets the stage but man we're in a bad pattern right now.

It's actually encouraging for me because the pattern we are in has been following some of the top analogs quite nicely. They indicated an average to above average November, a torch for December (especially Canada and northern US areas) and then a dramatic flip to cold by early January as blocking begins to amplify. Also I've seen some preliminary research on the PV which indicates a strong one for October-December has historically reversed itself by weakening quickly late December into early January. If true and if that does indeed happen it would further corroborate the forecast of cold January/February. With such a strong Nino and active STJ it could be a fun winter and well worth the wait imo.

Not really sure what the difference is with this thread and the other winter thread. I guess the other one is more of a prediction thread than a pattern one.

Anyway, I'm not concerned about an average to warm December. I have seen the weather flip on a dime plenty of times during winter here. We can have sunny and 70 one week and a foot of snow the next, so we can certainly go from warm to cold from one month to the next.

It's actually encouraging for me because the pattern we are in has been following some of the top analogs quite nicely. They indicated an average to above average November, a torch for December (especially Canada and northern US areas) and then a dramatic flip to cold by early January as blocking begins to amplify. Also I've seen some preliminary research on the PV which indicates a strong one for October-December has historically reversed itself by weakening quickly late December into early January. If true and if that does indeed happen it would further corroborate the forecast of cold January/February. With such a strong Nino and active STJ it could be a fun winter and well worth the wait imo.

Exactly.  Every long term climate model has been predicting a warm Nov/Dec since the late summer, which goes along nicely with the main analogs.  The wildcard is obviously the NAO, which is nearly impossible to predict.

Comparing the strong Nino years that gave above average snowfall in Raleigh, we get this

rjPMwKo.png

Compare that with the CanSIPS for Jan

l2pMNGJ.png

Now the strong el nino years that don't produce snow for Jan..I'd add the moderate year snowfall data if I had it but I don't. 

26NFPKZ.png

To me it doesn't look like we really need that ridge over Canada to move all the way west to a super negative EPO, we just need it out of the freakin' way...and maybe a west-based -NAO and a decently negative EPO won't hurt. 

Here's the all the moderate and strong el ninos for Jan, for fun.

AqS6u7l.png

Archived