• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

The 1st 6 days will be BN the next 3 AN JAN  10-11-12 are BN .

So if it turns out days 1- 12 are A , i will always take the loss .

I  am BN from day 9 - 16 , so Jan 12 - 20 I am BN , where do you stand ?

We talking a period average or the dailies?

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is there so much "my forecast was right, yours was wrong" going on here? First of all, can we get through the month before anyone claims victory? And secondly, instead of the "my forecast was better than yours" mentality, how about some collaboration on factors that are going into/making forecasts right or wrong? We can point fingers all day but actually getting down to the reason as to why a particular forecast was off will help us all learn. End rant.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Obviously we don't need a SSW for a good winter example last year but getting it this late in the game might just make for a cruddy spring...to be fair the models didn't look great for snow chances last night. The first two are to warm and then after the 11th the Pv is just crushing everything...I was really expecting to have at least a oppturtinity during this window

If we get a suppressed look for a week we'll cash in on the NYC area. It might be as it lifts out but suppressed cold patterns lasting more than 5 days or a week usually bring some snow to nj/NYC whether it be a coastal, clipper or overrunning as the Pv lifts out. The overall pattern is transient and the cold does not win this month, but s week long window in there will probably bring the first measurable snow to NYC.

Why is there so much "my forecast was right, yours was wrong" going on here? First of all, can we get through the month before anyone claims victory? And secondly, instead of the "my forecast was better than yours" mentality, how about some collaboration on factors that are going into/making forecasts right or wrong? We can point fingers all day but actually getting down to the reason as to why a particular forecast was off will help us all learn. End rant.

In general, I try to listen to the folks who have the credentials. You know the running joke, weatherman is the only job where you can be wrong often and still have a job ( ok there's politicians too but we already know they are mostly full of it to begin with, whereas we tend to see meteorologists, even those with just a BS, as learned scientists ) in other words it is really hard to be spot on with a forecast. That said, the experts are the ones with red tags here, and one guy with a yellow pro forecasters thingy, and the gist I'm getting is that this is not lasting cold. Based on history too, I would not be at all surprised to see this as a fairly mild winter with little snow. It is not uncommon; what is uncommon is to see lots of snow after a snowless December. Happened last year, but that was not typical. We will see how it evolves.

Good post

I can't believe some are still in denial that a pattern change has occurred. To quote DT "there was a fookng ridge parked over us in December and it's completely gone now".

Snow chances continue to look good after the 1/10 but it's no lock either. How the hell is anyone gonna write off February either when Nino climo targets that month as the coldest & snowiest.

You can't have it both ways by saying Dec & Feb will both be warm and snowless in a Nino because climo says NO.

Best post here in a long time. Certain posters should drop their arrogance and know it all attitude. The board should be about objective forecasting...what can go right and what can go wrong. The constant"I know everything" and belittling of other posters has made this place a mess no wonder why so many of the quality posters and mets left in droves

Best post here in a long time. Certain posters should drop their arrogance and know it all attitude. The board should be about objective forecasting...what can go right and what can go wrong. The constant"I know everything" and belittling of other posters has made this place a mess no wonder why so many of the quality posters and mets left in droves

I hope that's not what I'm portraying with my response.  I was called out and subsequently felt the need to respond to it, since my position was mis-characterized.  I'm finding that tiring and am done with it.  My posting frequency isn't high in this sub-forum (and on Am Wx in general) since I tend to find this place more combative than necessary and frankly have a busy enough forecasting schedule as is.  I chime in when I can.  This exchange kinda re-affirmed that idea.

I went through why I believed what I did back in late December, focusing largely on an MJO influence with strong ENSO background forcing.  I do think this appears to be a fair assumption given the pieces in play here as we head deeper into the month and remains a great case study for how the MJO can influence large scale pattern shifts on a sub-seasonal basis.

Couldnt agree more, the learning process should never end regardless of how much you think you know. Bottom line : to be learned is to be modest not the other way around. The more you learn the more you realize you need to learn more to put it simply.

With December 2015 have ranked as the warmest December on record, a look at the 10 warmest Decembers (prior to 2015) and January-April snowfall may provide a hint of what lies ahead.

January-April Snowfall for New York City:

Mean: 15.5"

Median: 15.1"

Lowest: 3.5", 2002

Highest: 26.0", 1924

< 10": 20% cases

15" or more: 50% cases

20" or more: 30% cases

25" or more: 20% cases

30" or more: No cases

The three El Niño Decembers were followed by 24.2", 11.8", and 12.4" snow in the January-April period. All of those cases saw the bulk of their snowfall occur after January.

The sample size is small given the selection of the 10 warmest Decembers. However, cautiously taking into consideration El Niño climatology and the El Niño subset, an outcome with snowfall rivaling such amounts as fell during the winters of 1972-73, 1997-98, 2001-02, and 2011-12 still appears less likely than something between 10"-20" for the winter.

I hope that's not what I'm portraying with my response. I was called out and subsequently felt the need to respond to it, since my position was mis-characterized. I'm finding that tiring and am done with it. My posting frequency isn't high in this sub-forum (and on Am Wx in general) since I tend to find this place more combative than necessary and frankly have a busy enough forecasting schedule as is. I chime in when I can. This exchange kinda re-affirmed that idea.

I went through why I believed what I did back in late December, focusing largely on an MJO influence with strong ENSO background forcing. I do think this appears to be a fair assumption given the pieces in play here as we head deeper into the month and remains a great case study for how the MJO can influence large scale pattern shifts on a sub-seasonal basis.

I enjoy your posts. Keep posting.

Archived