joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one of the big problems we have this winter is that the entire arctic is experiencing record warmth (from time to time). Thus our baseline arctic airmasses are warmer then normal. When it's above freezing at the North Pole at the end of December that effects the whole system.

A town on the Kara Sea in northern Russia nearly tied their all-time Jan high a couple days ago.

I think one of the big problems we have this winter is that the entire arctic is experiencing record warmth (from time to time). Thus our baseline arctic airmasses are warmer then normal. When it's above freezing at the North Pole at the end of December that effects the whole system.

I wonder if we'll get a "is that all there is" cold shot next week. 

As I thought all along if you like snow NYC and south is no place to be this winter!

hasn't been much snow outside of Northern Maine.  The storm last week gave some to VT/NH and upstate NY but the whole East coast has been essentially snow less so far...local ski hills have yet to open around here...just hideous

hasn't been much snow outside of Northern Maine. The storm last week gave some to VT/NH and upstate NY but the whole East coast has been essentially snow less so far...local ski hills have yet to open around here...just hideous

If you follow the ski thread the upslope areas in the northern Vermont have been doing well lately. Stowe with 8" last night per PF. There's always a drive for those really withdrawing

Have had a hard time figuring out why there has been record warmth up top with a strong polar vortex early winter, that should have amplified the available cold

06-07 winter torch December, Cold dry shot January, then relaxation with sleet storms in Feb and March. First real storm came on Valentines day that winter 

Who can forget that turnaround?  It was brutally cold in Feb and March once it turned...we got unlucky with storms-only 2 and both were mainly sleet fests.

When's the last time we've had a stormy pattern though? 2015 in general was pretty uneventful, we spent a good 70% of the year in a drought.

Jan February March 2014. Storm after storm. Was living in Hershey. Plus we also had a bad ice storm during that time

as well out in central pa. The second of two ice events that winter.

We got mainly sleet down in DC, I remember it.

09-10 was definitely like that.  There was a 1/30 storm that got DC and clipped Philly and the rest is history....ran out of cold air, but March rocked too with storminess

Plus we got that windy Nor'easter in March before the torch came…took down a ton of trees in 2010.

I will never forget those two sleet storms 4-6 inches of it 

And there it is on the EPS, a complete breakdown. The 20th on look swarmy to say the least. Next weeks cold shot is an island in the sea of warmth. Like has been said though, no significant -NAO in a string El Niño and you got a problem.

Thank you for the same post 5 days in a row. What's a string El Niño? Just curious.

Archived