• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

Pretty sure he's saying there hasn't been one this year and there's none in sight so the 1958 analog is meh.

Disagree brother ,  Its Jan 4 . The strat warm occurred  mid to later in Jan in 58

The 58 analog is VG so far .  Basin wide heat . Forcing between 160 - 180  .Warm Dec . Trough developing in the means in the SE. 

How could it be meh , if we are not at that SSW period yet .

It might fall apart  but that`s for a later Jan post  not Jan 4 . 

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is pretty darn close.

Very interesting test coming up here with phase 1.  There's not a large sample size with a true phase 1 response in January, but from what we have available to us it is decidedly warmer as a GOA trough returns and blocking dies out quickly.  Should we see a true phase 1 response (which is not necessarily a given here), it will either add credibility to the trends observed in the previous mod-strong ENSO forcing events or change a lot of people's minds about what phase 1 means.   

I felt really good about phase 8.  Less so for phase 1, but we'll see.

Disagree brother , Its Jan 4 . The strat warm occurred mid to later in Jan in 58

The 58 analog is VG so far . Basin wide heat . Forcing between 160 - 180 .Warm Dec . Trough developing in the means in the SE.

How could it be meh , if we are not at that SSW period yet .

It might fall apart but that`s for a later Jan post not Jan 4 .

I was just stating what I thought Forky was trying to say.

That is not a textbook +EPO. Good god almighty. The GEFS mean from overnight is a smoothed -EPO in the means through the run. If you're new here...a pro tip. Don't listen to Forky.

the actual pattern is more important than whatever value an index has

you were right. i didn't think my statement was ambiguous

I wasn`t disagreeing with what your intent was ( my god ) . I disagreed that you made the  the assertion of why there was no correlation before the event you questioned is even here . 

Earthlight still thinks winter is coming mid January and will be here for a while.Sit back and relax. Winter is coming.

He also predicted an epic severe storm season and busted horribly, as it was the least active storm season in decades. He even admitted that he completely tanked his forecast. 

Lesson? No met is infallible, and certainly not Wolf or PB. 

He also predicted an epic severe storm season and busted horribly, as it was the least active storm season in decades. He even admitted that he completely tanked his forecast. 

Lesson? No met is infallible, and certainly not Wolf or PB. 

You`re angry over the Chapman thing aren`t you ? 

You`re angry over the Chapman thing aren`t you ? 

Haha no, definitely not. I'm just saying that just because the great mighty Earthlight says something, doesn't mean it will happen. John is a great met, but he's been wrong many times, as has everyone. 

Alot of weenies on this board, which is not surprising. Let the pattern play out. No need to freak out if we go snowless, it happens.

This place is a mess, it's also my favorite reg board. Top pic is -EPO, bottom pic is not, see the difference in NW Canada/AK. This is very 98'ish and also a struggling GEFS, it's had hard time with the PAC post day 9, I don't want to call it garbage as its led in the blocking but I am not sure it's right with the PAC. We shall see what EPS says shortly.

04dc496aa49d26dfad5d1179ddd90bb4.jpg7d2bbd179209bef9076f5607cc20561a.jpg

I hope that's not what I'm portraying with my response. I was called out and subsequently felt the need to respond to it, since my position was mis-characterized. I'm finding that tiring and am done with it. My posting frequency isn't high in this sub-forum (and on Am Wx in general) since I tend to find this place more combative than necessary and frankly have a busy enough forecasting schedule as is. I chime in

when I can. This exchange kinda re-affirmed that idea.

I went through why I believed what I did back in late December, focusing largely on an MJO influence with strong ENSO background forcing. I do think this appears to be a fair assumption given the pieces in play here as we head deeper into the month and remains a great case study for how the MJO can influence large scale pattern shifts on a sub-seasonal basis.

Not talking about you..I enjoy your posts

This place is a mess, it's also my favorite reg board. Top pic is -EPO, bottom pic is not, see the difference in NW Canada/AK. This is very 98'ish and also a struggling GEFS, it's had hard time with the PAC post day 9, I don't want to call it garbage as its led in the blocking but I am not sure it's right with the PAC. We shall see what EPS says shortly.

04dc496aa49d26dfad5d1179ddd90bb4.jpg7d2bbd179209bef9076f5607cc20561a.jpg

The EURO and the GFS  just don`t agree here .

So the 98 crowd will run to it and the Euro crowd will just steer clear .

And that is the argument here .

Earthlight still thinks winter is coming mid January and will be here for a while.Sit back and relax. Winter is coming.

We know winter is coming as far as cold temps. It's here right now, and it will get cold again next week. The big question obviously is will we get any snow with the cold? Right now Joe Cioffi does not sound very optimistic about snow chances in the long range. He says the trough looks too broad, rather than sharp. But there's plenty of time for changes. 

The EURO and the GFS  just don`t agree here .

So the 98 crowd will run to it and the Euro crowd will just steer clear .

And that is the argument here .

post-7472-0-99141500-1451933241.png

Agree, the GEFS has been doing this in the extended the past week or so and has been correcting as it gets closer. Seeing it forecast the AO off the charts negative is interesting as it picked up on the strong blocking before EPS.

Archived