Newest Member
    Toothache
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro ensembles coming in way better than op for next weekend

So basically whenever you want, the Euro sucks and the GFS is king, and when the Euro shows snow, it's all of a sudden a great model?

I don't understand why you get your hopes up and down everyday depending on what the model runs show. It's definitely not healthy, and the models barely even have a good grip on this "storm" yet. I used to be the same thing with snow, until I just got fed up with constantly tracking imaginary storms that almost never come to fruition. A couple runs in your favor isn't a trend, not until all the models converge on that solution and show it for multiple days.

IMO, the models' handle on snowstorms is worse than their handle on t-storms. At least thunderstorms are large enough to cover relatively large areas, and often come in groups large enough to impact multiple areas. With snow, a small shift in the position of the low in a snowstorm can mean the difference of 20 inches of snow, and 2 inches of rain for a massive portion of the region. I just don't understand why you guys begin tracking storms from so far out, riding a rollercoaster of emotions, rather than just begin tracking from around 3-4 days out, and enjoy the snow without getting your hopes up and down a million times.

So basically whenever you want, the Euro sucks and the GFS is king, and when the Euro shows snow, it's all of a sudden a great model?

I don't understand why you get your hopes up and down everyday depending on what the model runs show. It's definitely not healthy, and the models barely even have a good grip on this "storm" yet. I used to be the same thing with snow, until I just got fed up with constantly tracking imaginary storms that almost never come to fruition. A couple runs in your favor isn't a trend, not until all the models converge on that solution and show it for multiple days.

IMO, the models' handle on snowstorms is worse than their handle on t-storms. At least thunderstorms are large enough to cover relatively large areas, and often come in groups large enough to impact multiple areas. With snow, a small shift in the position of the low in a snowstorm can mean the difference of 20 inches of snow, and 2 inches of rain for a massive portion of the region. I just don't understand why you guys begin tracking storms from so far out, riding a rollercoaster of emotions, rather than just begin tracking from around 3-4 days out, and enjoy the snow without getting your hopes up and down a million times.

Please quote one poster here bashing the euro.

Please quote one poster here bashing the euro.

I didn't mean people here are literally cursing the Euro for not showing what they want. I simply meant that people don't care for it or treat it like it's not worth their attention when it doesn't show what the other models show.

And besides, whatever the models, including the Euro, are showing now is simply computer imagination for now. Until all the models converge, and/or we're at least within 4 days of the event, the models will be just throwing out colorful pictures. It's like that for all weather (not patterns though): Snow, rain, convection, temps, etc...

I didn't mean people here are literally cursing the Euro for not showing what they want. I simply meant that people don't care for it or treat it like it's not worth their attention when it doesn't show what the other models show.

And besides, whatever the models, including the Euro, are showing now is simply computer imagination for now. Until all the models converge, and/or we're at least within 4 days of the event, the models will be just throwing out colorful pictures.

Been that way on here for years

I didn't mean people here are literally cursing the Euro for not showing what they want. I simply meant that people don't care for it or treat it like it's not worth their attention when it doesn't show what the other models show.

And besides, whatever the models, including the Euro, are showing now is simply computer imagination for now. Until all the models converge, and/or we're at least within 4 days of the event, the models will be just throwing out colorful pictures. It's like that for all weather (not patterns though): Snow, rain, convection, temps, etc...

Considering it is still 6 days out, there is actually fairly decent agreement in terms of evolution of this storm. Between the ens means (gefs, geps, eps) there is solid consensus for slp to emerge right around OBX. It is thereafter that the solutions become more diverse with some op models taking the storm NNE tho the ens are admittedly generally more progressive. I still think it is about 36 hours too soon at 'least' before we start putting much stock in the operational models. The ens means are the way to go for now and they honestly arent offering the best chances for this to come North at this very moment. However, with tempered expectations, I will take a slp near the OBX at day 6 in late January 7 days a week and twice on Sunday and gladly take my chances from there. Lots of time, lots of varied solutions coming I would presume

And besides, whatever the models, including the Euro, are showing now is simply computer imagination for now. Until all the models converge, and/or we're at least within 4 days of the event, the models will be just throwing out colorful pictures. It's like that for all weather (not patterns though): Snow, rain, convection, temps, etc...

Respectfully disagree that posters here, and I'm speaking in general, of course there can be exceptions, don't care what the euro solutions show. There's pretty much a consensus that the euro is the best model to rely on. Not surprisingly we call it the king.

:lmao:

I don't understand why you get your hopes up and down everyday depending on what the model runs show. It's definitely not healthy, and the models barely even have a good grip on this "storm" yet. I used to be the same thing with snow, until I just got fed up with constantly tracking imaginary storms that almost never come to fruition. A couple runs in your favor isn't a trend, not until all the models converge on that solution and show it for multiple days.

IMO, the models' handle on snowstorms is worse than their handle on t-storms. At least thunderstorms are large enough to cover relatively large areas, and often come in groups large enough to impact multiple areas. With snow, a small shift in the position of the low in a snowstorm can mean the difference of 20 inches of snow, and 2 inches of rain for a massive portion of the region. I just don't understand why you guys begin tracking storms from so far out, riding a rollercoaster of emotions, rather than just begin tracking from around 3-4 days out, and enjoy the snow without getting your hopes up and down a million times.

Does 18z gfs have rain or snow for the coastal next weekend?? Looks like forecast ive seen show it warming up next weekend! That storm is going to have to take a perfect track for us to get snow atleast for the coast!!

Does 18z gfs have rain or snow for the coastal next weekend?? Looks like forecast ive seen show it warming up next weekend! That storm is going to have to take a perfect track for us to get snow atleast for the coast!!

18z GFS is another MECS for next weekend, snow on coast as well, it's close however, Long Island gets screwed

18z Gfs a little further north for the Monday storm. Brushed what looks like Suffolk county maybe?

I've noticed little by very little models have been trying to throw a few flakes around tomorrow evening now. 18z Rgem is the latest example, it had nothing around here in earlier runs. Would be nice to see a few flakes.

post-4973-0-57783100-1452984461_thumb.pn

It'll be another battle with next weekends set-up, a good track for us N+W folks is not what you city and coastal guys want, but all snow for you will most like mean screw zone, and decreased precip totals for us

The way I look at it is, we need to figure out if there will even be a storm first... Some encouraging signs today, but does it stay that way?

It'll be another battle with next weekends set-up, a good track for us N+W folks is not what you city and coastal guys want, but all snow for you will most like mean screw zone, and decreased precip totals for us

If it takes an occluded benchmark low with 0.5"/hr snowfall rates between bands of subsidence to give me marginal advisory snows... I'll take it and run. We really cannot afford to be picky.

Archived