joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While stating that the Euro missed last year's HECS by about 20 inches for most of the metro and the GFS caught on earlier ( about 18 hours) to huge reduction in totals I will still go with a model that verifies over 90% of the time. So we wait and see the next 48 hours. If the Big Dog still barking by Tuesday then we can talk

I would still use the EPS over the euro op at this range. Goes to show tho that the Pacific pattern is even more important than the Atlantic IMHO. We can make due with a mediocre Atl pattern but really need that ridge out West to get the biggies.

The Euro just flattened that ridge at 12z when compared to 00z, I'm not a fan of that.

The difference between the GFS and the Euro can be seen  here . I can`t post 500 vorticity maps because they are pay walled and you would be able to see the difference easier .

The Euro drags its heels between 132- 144 in the S . The DETOUR  you see here at 500mb is a result of the Euro being so POS tilted is slower and missed the N branch at 150 .

Some will say it just the Euro holding energy back and it is possible . If the bias is to have more resistance on it`s southern side than it is possible that the GFS staying Neut through the midwest would phase in the TENN valley .

Or it`s just an excuse many of use when we miss a phase . 

There is no PAC issue at play here . At least not on these maps . The difference is timing . 

Being that is 7 days away , I could not tell which is right but that this needs to change to catch the GFS 

ecmwf_z500a_us_7.png

gfs_z500a_us_25.png

The difference between the GFS and the Euro can be seen here . I can`t post 500 vorticity maps because they are pay walled and you would be able to see the difference easier .

The Euro drags its heels between 132- 144 in the S . The DETOUR you see here at 500mb is a result of the Euro being so POS tilted is slower and missed the N branch at 150 .

Some will say it just the Euro holding energy back and it is possible . If the bias is to have more resistance on it`s southern side than it is possible that the GFS staying Neut through the midwest would phase in the TENN valley .

Or it`s just an excuse many of use when we miss a phase .

There is no PAC issue at play here . At least not on these maps . The difference is timing .

Being that is 7 days away , I could not tell which is right but that this needs to change to catch the GFS

ecmwf_z500a_us_7.png

gfs_z500a_us_25.png

As a whole this is a setup that tends to be favored during either extreme blocking or shorter wave lengths based on where the western ridge is positioned and other factors. Hence why this may end up offshore

As a whole this is a setup that tends to be favored during either extreme blocking or shorter wave lengths based on where the western ridge is positioned and other factors. Hence why this may end up offshore

I thought the ridge axis looked ok/similar .

The SW in front of this on the GFS is weaker so it allows  a Neutral tilt . The front SW looks stronger on the Euro and maybe that`s what slows and is forced S .

Take a look at the EURO at 120 - that SW has a Neut tilt when it hits the panhandle then it breaks SE between 126- 144 instead of continuing through the flow . 

You can see the flow on the GFS it`s E then NE . The Euro digs . 

Hey 7 days out , maybe only half of these features are on the board in 72 hours . I am just looking for the differences 

gfs_uv250_us_22.png

Archived