• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

Do you think I can get in on the action...2 inch snows are the absolute pinnacle for snowplowing..everyone gets done but in minimal time

At this point (as you know things can change) marginal temps to start event I feel it will be hard to get 2 on the pavement. Most likely it will be a salting event with falling temps wed during the day

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perfect for me. All the money without the back breaking labor. From a financial standpoint I would rather have it snow 2" every day then one big 8" storm. Though a really big storm (when a snow emergency is declared) I get paid double time so that's the ultimate

last year was perfect for us plowers.. No huge storms to kill equipment and once they started it kept coming. Hoping our season starts wednesday

I'd say many of us who have been around for a while are on board with this thinking.

Yup.

People really need to stop looking at individual storms that pop up on the models outside day 5 and just look at how beautiful and conducive the pattern is for something big.

last year was perfect for us plowers.. No huge storms to kill equipment and once they started it kept coming. Hoping our season starts wednesday

Last winter was a gem from mid January on. And I truly think we see something similar (not as prolific) moving forward. My snow forecast of 20-30" has not changed. So plenty of plowing coming up. I drive a john deer tractor with multiple attachments. Allot of fun to drive. Especially in the heart of Manhattan

Models will change at this range. How many times before a big snow have models consistently shown a big snowy solution from 10 days out? it just went from a bit too warm to OTS, showing the swings it does. Regardless of what happens on the 17th, we could have multiple opportunities. A big change from when we were tracking 70 degree temps.

I unfortunately pay too much attention to snowstorms modeled 7 days out...it's a bit painful. I am curious how often the Euro for example, accurately models snowstorms at this range. At 7 days out, are the models only good for discerning broad weather patterns?

7 days is right on the cusp of where if all the models show a significant storm you can be confident some storm will happen. I would say 70% of the time a storm of some type occurs in that scenario but as for the track forget about it, rarely beyond 84-96 hours are there not changes significant enough to impact the forecast somewhere in a large way. You have rare cases like the Euro nailing the 1996 blizzard at 168 hours to the millibar and within 50 miles and the Canadian getting the 2/25/10 storm right at 240 but those are just coincidence and model luck more than anybjngb

7 days is right on the cusp of where if all the models show a significant storm you can be confident some storm will happen. I would say 70% of the time a storm of some type occurs in that scenario but as for the track forget about it, rarely beyond 84-96 hours are there not changes significant enough to impact the forecast somewhere in a large way. You have rare cases like the Euro nailing the 1996 blizzard at 168 hours to the millibar and within 50 miles and the Canadian getting the 2/25/10 storm right at 240 but those are just coincidence and model luck more than anybjngb

Now that is impressive. 

Archived