joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2015 Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The New England forum has a decidedly larger "looking for cold" crowd than most other subforums fwiw. We all like what we like, but I mean  lets face it, the usual suspects anywhere will almost always go cold or warm. I always throw JB out, but LC & DT do not seem to have a bias.

We will all get snow, some more than others. This area got an awesome snowstorm in a terrible pattern in Nov, and likewise a good pattern doesnt mean it will actually produce good results. The only guarantee is that it will not be a nonstop torch (looking for a DJF departure of +15F? not happening lol). For those north of I80, I say it all the time, "mild" does not necessarily mean crappy for snow, and "cold" does not necessarily mean snowy. 

oh, it'll snow, it'll get cold at times, but I think this winter will end up being somewhere between forgettable and historically warm.

oh, it'll snow, it'll get cold at times, but I think this winter will end up being somewhere between forgettable and historically warm.

I bet one month ends up with a negative departure. December will be +8 though.

2011-2012 was pretty bad though, I could see grass in St Ignace, MI during the middle of January.

It's not going to be Feb 2015, but it will be closer to normal.

I'll be snowmobiling within 4 hour drive within 2-3 weeks max.

Torch (33F to 40F) all you want in Chicago... Won't affect the UP or Canada.

Depends on where your going. 3 hours north from Toronto (Parry Sound-North Bay) which is normally covered in at least a foot of snow and lakes iced over currently looks like early November. 

Sadly this warm pattern is pretty close to ruining my annual christmas time ice hockey tournament. 

Also without sounding to pessimistic I highly doubt you will be snowmobiling anywhere in Northeastern Ontario in 2-3 weeks. Trails wont be open, and lakes won't have ice. 

Just saw that you mentioned SSM. You will have better chances from SSM-Wawa and westwards but Muskoka-North Bay- Sudbury won't have much. 

Have you ever been up to Timmins-Cochrane area? 

Depends on where your going. 3 hours north from Toronto (Parry Sound-North Bay) which is normally covered in at least a foot of snow and lakes iced over currently looks like early November. 

Sadly this warm pattern is pretty close to ruining my annual christmas time ice hockey tournament. 

Also without sounding to pessimistic I highly doubt you will be snowmobiling anywhere in Northeastern Ontario in 2-3 weeks. Trails wont be open, and lakes won't have ice. 

Just saw that you mentioned SSM. You will have better chances from SSM-Wawa and westwards but Muskoka-North Bay- Sudbury won't have much. 

Have you ever been up to Timmins-Cochrane area? 

Yes & Yes. You must mean Wawa eastward.

We will drive straight up to Timmins if we have to.

It snowed twice already, it can and will snow again this winter. That's how I look at everything.  :snowing:

Little cooler today, with upper 40s. Variably cloudy skies today.

Yeah. Winter is just starting lol. Here in the lakes, we will probably see at least 40-60 more days with flakes flying this season. So far we have had 7 days with snowflakes.

Have had 4 days of accumulating snowfall here. Several other days with a trace of snow. Yeah I'm with you on that one Bo.

It's only 9 days since it snowed last, not all that one ago. Last year at this time we were all really deprived of snow.

Wow, you were really warm in SEMI today! 48°/39° for today's high and low.

flakes can fly all they want but unless they accumulate, they don't count for me.

Thats a good point. I just basically meant you can bank on "mood flakes" here in the Lakes on so many days compared to almost any other region.

Days with snow reported at DTW

..................T+.......0.1"+....1.0"+

2014-15.....68........36........14

2013-14.....92........56........26

2012-13.....70........39........16

The least amount of measurable snow days in a season is in 1889-90 when only 15 days saw measurable snowfall. Unsure what the record for least amount of days with flakes is, but 1889-90 (31 days) is a good bet.

Even during a torch, you have an almost consistent snowpack. Sweet! I still can't talk my wife into moving to the UP...hmph... :P

How about NWL? Can their snow pack survive a torch? That might be a good middle ground to aim for!  :D

Had a few light showers here this evening. Surprised me

Archived