• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2015 Discussion

Hoosier

I agree am a little surprised that those areas off Erie get that kind of annual snowfall every year that’s impressive and considerably more than my area. I knew Ontario areas do well especially with higher elevation and Ontario really never freezes like Erie. Amazing how the great lakes impact areas around them.

Yeah there is a town called Perrysburg that averages 2-300+ inches of snow a year on the Chautauqua ridge. I believe in 77 they hit close to 400" there. They are in the perfect spot for orographic lift to generate additional lift with the lake enhanced snow. It also helps being further east to get hit by nor'easters occasionally.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a couple spots in western NY where the elevation tops 2000 feet. Lake Erie is at 571 feet. So even more orographic lift takes place south of Buffalo than most of Michigan.

Here's a elevation profile from Flint to downtown Detroit - right down I-75 pretty much.

From the NWS White Lake's media page: "Average seasonal snowfall at Detroit Metropolitan Airport equals 41 inches. However, average annual snowfall near the office location is 60 - 70 inches." I remember reading a few years back that they average around 70" of snow per season at the White Lake office. Like power ball says, that matches up well with what dmc76 and others say they get per season that are north and west of Detroit in the "hills". The White Lake office sits at approximately 1050' elevation which is around 400' higher then Detroit. I always felt that the area north east of White Lake is prone to getting even more snow than that on average. In extreme northern Oakland and extreme southern Lapeer county is where you get into the 1200' to even pushing 1300' (on top of Mt Christie) elevation ground. I would bet money that this area sees 75" - 80" per season. It's amazing what a few hundred feet in elevation can do to temps and snowfall. Our old house in Metamora (southern Lapeer county) sat on top of a hill at 1175' of elevetion. It was crazy sometimes to see the difference in snowfall between my house and place of work down in the southern Oakland county area.

Truly Detroit's most elevated northern suburbs average more snow than most non-snowbelt locations in the entire state of Michigan!

Where my kids go to school is the highest spot in SEMI. It's about 5 miles west of Leonard and about 7-8 miles ENE of Oxford. It's close to 1300 feet.

What I have learned through my years living in this area. The hot spot for snowfall is around Brandon TWP to Oxford toward Lakeville. It noticeably drops off toward Rochester to the The Palace of Auburn Hills.points south.

Doesn't look like the clouds are going anywhere today. Damp and straight out raw.

Here's a elevation profile from Lake Erie by Hamburg to Jamestown. Big rise in a short distance.

Having the higher terrain relatively close a lake is a big help in LES totals.

---

Some pretty cool photos place on the WGN weather center blog of the highest skyscrapers poking through the clouds early in the weekend.

Mike-Himebaugh-Skyscrapers-poking-above-

Megan-Knapcik-also-caught-the-downtown-b

Doesn't look like the clouds are going anywhere today. Damp and straight out raw.

Here's a elevation profile from Lake Erie by Hamburg to Jamestown. Big rise in a short distance.

Having the higher terrain relatively close a lake is a big help in LES totals.

attachicon.gifWestern NY transect.png

---

Some pretty cool photos place on the WGN weather center blog of the highest skyscrapers poking through the clouds early in the weekend.

Mike-Himebaugh-Skyscrapers-poking-above-

Megan-Knapcik-also-caught-the-downtown-b

Incredible pics.

looking out the back window of my office and the grass is deep green and clumpy and long in spots.  Probably going to have to fire up the mower this weekend.   Also captured in the sunlight are mini swarms of some flying insects, (look like gnats or mosquitoes) hovering over the grass in places...like you'd see in the warm season.

Forecasted highof 46 busted here. didn't break freezing, got to a high of 31.9 at my house. Foggy all day here. Kind of surprised my house sits near 900 feet andtoday is the first time in this pattern we were actually foggy. Awesome!

I was planning riding my motorcycle around again today but that didn't happen haha.

While we're in a stagnant mild pattern, the northwest coast gets slammed by another storm.

Crazy weather forecast for the 12000 ft level on Mount Rainier.

Tonight
Snow. Low around 21. Windy, with a west southwest wind 38 to 43 mph, with gusts as high as 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 19 to 25 inches possible.
Tuesday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 25. Windy, with a southwest wind 47 to 55 mph, with gusts as high as 85 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 33 to 39 inches possible.
Tuesday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 20. Windy, with a southwest wind 41 to 46 mph, with gusts as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 33 to 39 inches possible.
Wednesday
Snow showers. High near 22. Windy, with a west wind 45 to 48 mph, with gusts as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 9 to 13 inches possible.
Wednesday Night
Snow. Low around 2. Windy, with a west southwest wind 30 to 32 mph becoming southeast in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.
Thursday
Snow. High near 4. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.
Thursday Night
Snow showers. Low around -6. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

Archived