joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2015 Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

34 and light sprinkles. a crusty/slushy inch of snow from Thanksgiving time is all that's left. Never have I seen 5" of snow hang on so tuff.

It's putting up a good fight it sounds like.

If snow is allowed to compact or is mixed with sleet or ice from freezing rain, it seems to linger on longer.

55° and cloudy here. Wind making it feel a little cooler.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL  639 PM CST WED DEC 9 2015 /739 PM EST WED DEC 9 2015/     ..ATYPICAL DECEMBER WEATHER FOR CHICAGO THROUGH THE WEEKEND    ANOMALOUSLY MILD CONDITIONS FOR METEOROLOGICAL WINTER ARE  FORECAST THROUGH THE WEEKEND. IN ADDITION...POTENTIALLY VERY WET  WEATHER IS LIKELY TO UNFOLD DURING THE LATTER HALF OF THE WEEKEND   AND POSSIBLY INTO MONDAY. THIS IS A LOOK AT THE FORECAST VS.   DECEMBER CLIMATOLOGY.    ------------------------------------------------------------------  CHICAGO    FIVE CONSECUTIVE DAYS WITH HIGHS IN THE 50S ARE FORECAST THROUGH  SUNDAY /FROM DECEMBER 9TH-13TH/.     - THIS WOULD BE THE FIRST TIME WITH FIVE OR MORE CONSECUTIVE DAYS   WITH 50S IN DECEMBER SINCE 2001...WHEN DECEMBER 2ND-6TH REACHED THE   50S.    - THIS WOULD BE THE LATEST INTO DECEMBER WITH FIVE OR MORE STRAIGHT  DAYS IN THE 50S SINCE 1971...WHEN DECEMBER 23RD-27TH REACHED 50 PLUS   DEGREES.    A HIGH OF 60 DEGREES IS POSSIBLE THROUGH SUNDAY.    - 60 DEGREES OR HIGHER WAS LAST REACHED DURING DECEMBER IN 2012 WHEN   THE HIGH REACHED 70 ON DECEMBER 3RD.    - 60 DEGREES WAS LAST REACHED THIS LATE IN THE MONTH IN 2008 ON  DECEMBER 27TH WHEN THE HIGH HIT 61.    MULTIPLE PERIODS OF RAIN ARE FORECAST OVER THE WEEKEND AND POSSIBLY  INTO MONDAY. OVER TWO INCHES OF RAIN ARE CURRENTLY FORECAST ACROSS  NORTHERN ILLINOIS...THOUGH THIS FORECAST COULD SHIFT.    - TWO INCHES OR MORE OF PRECIPITATION OVER THREE DAYS HAS NOT HAPPENED   IN DECEMBER SINCE 2.06 INCHES FELL ON DECEMBER 4TH-6TH 1999...WHICH   WAS ALMOST ENTIRELY ALL RAIN.    - OVER TWO INCHES OF PRECIPITATION HAS NOT HAPPENED THIS LATE INTO  DECEMBER SINCE DECEMBER 24TH-26TH 1982 WHEN 2.18 INCHES FELL...WHICH  WAS ALSO ALL RAIN.    OBVIOUSLY THE FORECAST WILL LIKELY SHIFT SOME THROUGH THE COMING DAYS  BUT THE PATTERN FAVORS AT LEAST NEAR THESE VALUES MENTIONED ABOVE. EVEN   THE POSSIBILITY OF ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS EXISTS LATER THIS WEEKEND!    

MTF 

it's interesting that there is almost an expectation that if we are this warm in December, than naturally things have to turn around in January. No one wants to even consider...dare I say... the dreaded 3 month torch. :o

Actually it seems that there are just as many people on this board expecting a 3 month torch as are expecting a turn to colder (which doesn't necessarily mean colder than normal). When anyone brings up the torch will not last they get an immediate reply. This is the general theme on a weather board every December anyway, so throw in a December that actually IS warm and it increases tenfold. Look no further...than Dec 2014.

Actually it seems that there are just as many people on this board expecting a 3 month torch as are expecting a turn to colder (which doesn't necessarily mean colder than normal). When anyone brings up the torch will not last they get an immediate reply. This is the general theme on a weather board every December anyway, so throw in a December that actually IS warm and it increases tenfold. Look no further...than Dec 2014.

There is a good deal of trolling here too. Alek does get cold outside in the low 50's, so I don't doubt his sincerity in wanting the torch... I have seen it in person. LOL. We can't all work in freezers 12 months out of the year. People crack up when they see that my fall-winter-spring coat is the same, a $25 Mossimo hoodie from Target -- 4 straight years.

http://www.target.com/p/men-s-sherpa-lined-fleece-hoodie-mossimo-supply-co/-/A-17073942#prodSlot=medium_1_1

not from what I'm seeing.  General consensus from most mets, (JB, DT, LC, and many of the board mets across forums), is that December roasts but we turn around in January and true winter hits in Feb.   Not seeing too many forecasts for a torch thru March.   Possibly Roger Smith comes the closest that I've read.   Torchamagaeddon or whatever his name is doesn't count, he torches every year lol.

not from what I'm seeing.  General consensus from most mets, (JB, DT, LC, and many of the board mets across forums), is that December roasts but we turn around in January and true winter hits in Feb.   Not seeing too many forecasts for a torch thru March.   Possibly Roger Smith comes the closest that I've read.   Torchamagaeddon or whatever his name is doesn't count, he torches every year lol.

The New England forum has a decidedly larger "looking for cold" crowd than most other subforums fwiw. We all like what we like, but I mean  lets face it, the usual suspects anywhere will almost always go cold or warm. I always throw JB out, but LC & DT do not seem to have a bias.

We will all get snow, some more than others. This area got an awesome snowstorm in a terrible pattern in Nov, and likewise a good pattern doesnt mean it will actually produce good results. The only guarantee is that it will not be a nonstop torch (looking for a DJF departure of +15F? not happening lol). For those north of I80, I say it all the time, "mild" does not necessarily mean crappy for snow, and "cold" does not necessarily mean snowy. 

Archived