Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2015 Discussion

Hoosier

...and then right back to torching after that

Bingo. I don't buy what the operational GFS is showing toward Christmas eve for a second. GEFS says torch on, +6 to +8 Celsius average 2m anomalies from 12/19 to 12/24 and +8 to +10 anomalies from 12/24 to 12/29. Canadian ensembles are not quite as warm, but still well above normal.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good lord, the Lake of the Woods area is an inferno!

High of 57° today - early. Got some breaks of sun today, especially between 3-4pm.

Christmas day is looking chilly right now on the GFS with even some snow in the western part of the subforum - wouldn't that be nice...

Beat our record by 7 degrees here. 71!!

Select daily record high temperatures for December 14, 2015:

Allentown: 68° (old record: 60°, 2001)

Atlantic City: 65° (tied record: 65°, 1929)

Baltimore: 71° (tied record: 71°, 1929)

Bridgeport: 58° (tied record: 58°, 1991)

Buffalo: 71° (old record: 64°, 1901)

Islip: 58° (tied record: 58°, 1991)

Newark: 64° (old record: 63°, 2001)

Philadelphia: 70° (old record: 69°, 1881)

Raleigh: 75° (old record: 74°, 1918)

Rochester: 69° (old record: 62°, 1901)

Washington, DC: 69° (old record: 67°, 2001)

Watertown: 67° (old record: 65°, 1901)

Wilmington, DE: 69° (old record: 63°, 2001)

.CLIMATE...

DAILY RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES WERE SMASHED TODAY AS UNSEASONABLE
WARMTH REACHED THE LOWER GREAT LAKES.

BUFFALO...HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 71 SHATTERS THE OLD RECORD OF 64 SET
BACK IN 1901. THIS IS ALSO THE 2ND WARMEST DECEMBER TEMPERATURE
EVER RECORDED. THE WARMEST DECEMBER TEMP WAS 74 IN 1982.

ROCHESTER...HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 69 SHATTERS THE OLD RECORD OF 62
SET BACK IN 1901. THERE HAVE BEEN 3 TIMES IN HISTORY THE
TEMPERATURE REACHED 70 IN DECEMBER AND SEVERAL YEARS WITH 69...
MAKING TODAY A TIE FOR THE FOURTH WARMEST DECEMBER TEMPERATURE ON
RECORD. THE WARMEST DECEMBER TEMP WAS 72 IN 1982.

I look at the NOHRSC snow depth map every couple days just to see how the snow pack is doing. I know this map is always overdone, but why is it showing a stripe of moderate snow depth through Minneapolis? How is this map even generated and can it be considered reliable anymore?post-599-0-87029300-1450187550_thumb.jpe

I look at the NOHRSC snow depth map every couple days just to see how the snow pack is doing. I know this map is always overdone, but why is it showing a stripe of moderate snow depth through Minneapolis? How is this map even generated and can it be considered reliable anymore? image.jpeg

Overdone is an understatement. There is exactly 0" on the ground in the Twin Cities. There was a very minor accumulation yesterday of about an inch in extreme SE MN into W WI, but nothing like this map is showing. I'd be giddy if that map was reality...

Overdone is an understatement. There is exactly 0" on the ground in the Twin Cities. There was a very minor accumulation yesterday of about an inch in extreme SE MN into W WI, but nothing like this map is showing. I'd be giddy if that map was reality...

I don't think there's anything around Omaha either. Whatever makes that snow depth map must use a NAM forecast clown map as its data source.

I look at the NOHRSC snow depth map every couple days just to see how the snow pack is doing. I know this map is always overdone, but why is it showing a stripe of moderate snow depth through Minneapolis? How is this map even generated and can it be considered reliable anymore?attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Yeah this system is almost all automated and based off of "logical guesses" by a computer. There is no snow cover in eastern Nebraska this morning. Snow cover in western KS may be correct still. I found that this experimental site isn't that great at snowfall after a marginal event.

Anyways, feels more like December today - cloudy and chilly, near 40°.

Good lord, the Lake of the Woods area is an inferno!

I have been lurking here for a while...but since you mention my backyard figured I would just confirm it has been an inferno here.  

The high temps have been warm, but its the ludicrously mild low temps that are causing it.  Mn side of Lake of the Woods and Rainy River still open water this late in the year is getting surreal.  My wife is originally from Chicago suburbs and she is loving the Illinois like winter weather.

I have been lurking here for a while...but since you mention my backyard figured I would just confirm it has been an inferno here.  

The high temps have been warm, but its the ludicrously mild low temps that are causing it.  Mn side of Lake of the Woods and Rainy River still open water this late in the year is getting surreal.  My wife is originally from Chicago suburbs and she is loving the Illinois like winter weather.

Welcome to the forum first of all. :)

That's pretty incredible that Lake of the Woods is open still. Most Decembers lakes and most rivers are frozen over or mostly frozen over here.

Now today is more winter like, only made it to 42°. Of course that would be still really mild 500 miles further north!

Keweenaw is going to get pounded with w flow lake effect.  Lake is primed.  Can't wait until it's my turn! :D

attachicon.gifMQT_Snow.png

not a bad looking forecast

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

Northern shores east of you towards paradise may do okay as well. Not much for NWL really need a NW or WNW flow for my area. To bad as lakes are pretty warm still for this time of the year. 

Archived